Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Based on my needs, what would you recommend
Kobo Clara HD 14 45.16%
Kobo Libra h20 13 41.94%
Kindle Oasis 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2019, 06:58 AM   #16
gorman42
gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
I decided to go with Libra H2O. The light is uniform, there's just a slightly darker "shade" near to the "spine" of the ebook reader. But typically you have margins there. For everything else, so far, it's been a great experience. I could honestly not justify the price difference with Oasis.
gorman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:08 AM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
I decided to go with Libra H2O. The light is uniform, there's just a slightly darker "shade" near to the "spine" of the ebook reader. But typically you have margins there. For everything else, so far, it's been a great experience. I could honestly not justify the price difference with Oasis.
The Libra is a great device. I do love mine and use it daily. But there's no denying that its frontlight is not on a par with the Oasis. Neither is the price, of course.

For reading in a well-lit environment, I would recommend the Libra over the Oasis. But as the OP reads in a dark room and is apparently sensitive to the light problems, I really hesitate to do so.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #18
gorman42
gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gorman42 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Libra is a great device. I do love mine and use it daily. But there's no denying that its frontlight is not on a par with the Oasis. Neither is the price, of course.

For reading in a well-lit environment, I would recommend the Libra over the Oasis. But as the OP reads in a dark room and is apparently sensitive to the light problems, I really hesitate to do so.
Do you mean that there's worse Libras than the one I have? Or you're referring to the "dark spine" problem I mentioned?
Not questioning the fact that Oasis 3 has better frontlight. But it's quite more expensive, as you mentioned too. I think it's faster too, am I right?
gorman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You have made a good choice going with the Libra.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Do you mean that there's worse Libras than the one I have? Or you're referring to the "dark spine" problem I mentioned?
That and other irregularities. There may well be worse Libras than yours, impossible to say without seeing it in real life.
Quote:
Not questioning the fact that Oasis 3 has better frontlight. But it's quite more expensive, as you mentioned too. I think it's faster too, am I right?
Not really. The Libra is about the same, at least with kepubs (epubs are a little slower).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2019, 08:27 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

Yes, but about 2-3 days ago the Oasis 3 was only $6 higher than the Kobo Libra. That is no longer the case now, as that Kindla sale is over for the Oasis 3.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:50 PM   #22
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Thanks for bringing me up to speed on Amazon. The USA has a good thing going. If I were outside the USA I would definitely go Kobo. I have become spoiled by easy library borrowing. Sure hope Amazon and Overdrive keep working together.
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:50 PM   #23
TJB4916
TJB4916 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

I think due to the frontlight issues of the Libra, it's out of the question for now until its issues are fixed. Which is a shame, because its kind of the reader I wanted most.

I think having the Oasis for home and the clara for travel is a great idea.

Question about libraries in calibre.

Is it possible to build a master library with all the books I dow load and then convert them and upload to either device? Do I ahve to convert all to epub, upload to the kobo, then convert them to mobi and upload to kindle or is there a easier way?
TJB4916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB4916 View Post

Is it possible to build a master library with all the books I dow load and then convert them and upload to either device? Do I ahve to convert all to epub, upload to the kobo, then convert them to mobi and upload to kindle or is there a easier way?
Calibre can have multiple formats for the same book. When you send a book to the device, it picks from the available formats that the device understands and sends it. If there isn't a suitable format, it can do a conversion as part of the send. It will add the converted format to the library for later use.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:09 AM   #25
TJB4916

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Calibre can have multiple formats for the same book. When you send a book to the device, it picks from the available formats that the device understands and sends it. If there isn't a suitable format, it can do a conversion as part of the send. It will add the converted format to the library for later use.

Awesome, sounds like a no brainer. I havent delved deep into caliber, just removing the odd DRM and converting here and there. Makes it easy to have different readers then.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #26
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it.

I think due to the frontlight issues of the Libra, it's out of the question for now until its issues are fixed. Which is a shame, because its kind of the reader I wanted most.

I think having the Oasis for home and the clara for travel is a great idea.

Calibre doesnt alter the original download when it creates another format. Perhaps "convert" is misleading, since the original file remains unchanged. It's more like a "translation" into the other format? Calibre then has your title listed once, but with multiple formats available. I havent yet done a large side load from Calibre, so I dont know how easy that is. 90% of my reading is library borrowed books, and Amazon sends my purchased and email-loaded books directly to any device I register to Amazon. It is quite convenient.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #27
Kekler
Kekler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Awesome, sounds like a no brainer. I havent delved deep into caliber, just removing the odd DRM and converting here and there. Makes it easy to have different readers then.
Why different users? There are also other opportunities.
Kekler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I'd recommend using azw3 instead of mobi for the format to send to your Kindle devices.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:00 AM   #29
TJB4916

Just a quick update.

Ordered my clara hd from indigo and saved 30 bucks during their cyber monday sale.

Recieved the unit today and after setting everything up and playing with the front lighting, I had light bleed.

Both areas are along the sides. About an inch long on the bottom left side and about 2 inches long along the bottom right. Probably going to exchange it. Its pretty bad when my original kobo glo screen is flawless, minus a smidgeon of light bleed in the very bottom right corner.

Besides that bleed, I think it's pretty awesome. Very clear and crisp display, very responsive and very light. And the lighting is fantastic. With the brightness at about 8 percent and the color a good bit towards the amber side it's going to be perfect for reading into the dark.

One thing I noticed missing, is there now way to make the font bolder?
Old 12-12-2019, 01:54 AM   #30
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Nice to hear that you like it . The reason why there is a light bleed is because Kobo forgot to apply the electrical tape at the sides. Here is a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxqVLnosNTI) on how to solve it, if you are willing to risk taking your Clara apart. I've never tried it before though, so just a suggestion.

As for the font boldness, are you referring to the in-built fonts? If you are, when you are in a book, press 'Aa' in the in-book menu, and on the right of the word 'Font Face' there will be a word 'Advanced'. Click on it, then there will be a slide bar for 'Weight'. This will increase the boldness. (Note: This only works for the fonts 'Amasis, Avenir Next, Caecilla, Georgia, Gill Sans, Kobo Nickel and Malabar. The other fonts require downloading something but I'm not sure about those.)

Last edited by HolyAura; 12-12-2019 at 02:05 AM.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote