Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Paperwhite 3 (PW3) features list speculation/wish list

1. Same size device with larger screen. I've always felt the screen was too small. They could easily increase the height of the screen since the bezel is so large. They could also increase the width by reducing the bezel size. After no real upgrade in 2013 I think increased screen size would be considered a true upgrade for the PW. If you compared a 6.75" Kindle PW with the 6" screen competition, the PW would win out easily.

The optimum line length for a book is probably in the 80 to 95 characters per line range. Based on my preferred font size and the narrowest margins allowed, my Kindle only gets around 50 characters per line. If I do landscape I can fit more characters, but it would be nice to have more screen real estate.

2. Faster processor. I still find the PW2 to be sluggish. It's not a deal breaker, obviously, but faster responsiveness would be welcome.

3. Greater control over line spacing and margin spacing. I'm used to Microsoft Word where you can control everything having to do with margins, spacing, font sizes, etc.

Last edited by markbot; 08-19-2014 at 07:20 PM.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The 6.8" screen has been out a while. I wonder though if the large bezel isn't required to keep the screen from flexing. They won't have that problem of course if they use a flexible screen.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My wish list:

* no glass substrate
* 300dpi or better
* excellent paragraph or page-level text renderer
* waterproof
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Waterproof is never going to happen on a standard device (unless it is about 25 years from now), far too expensive to implement.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Waterproof is never going to happen on a standard device (unless it is about 25 years from now), far too expensive to implement.
Except that the Pocketbook Aqua is already available (pocketbook-int.com) and the next Kobo reader is rumoured to be waterproof (Kobo Aura H20 via The Digital Reader)
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
My wish list:

* no glass substrate
* 300dpi or better
* excellent paragraph or page-level text renderer
* waterproof
Add in no forced margins, any choice of font we want, any choice of line spacing, proper page numbers that do not include the use of a secondary file, direct ePub support (instead of having to convert to KF8), and no screwing with collections when the WiFi is turned on.

I do know someone who had her collections deleted (the eBooks were still there) when she turned on the WiFi of a Kindle Touch to download a purchased eBook from Amazon. The WiFi is worthless is Amazon is going to be screwing with the collections every time it's turned on.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-18-2014 at 05:07 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #7
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Add in no forced margins, any choice of font we want, any choice of line spacing, proper page numbers that do not include the use of a secondary file, direct ePub support (instead of having to convert to KF8), and no screwing with collections when the WiFi is turned on.

I do know someone who had her collections deleted (the eBooks were still there) when she turned on the WiFi of a Kindle Touch to download a purchased eBook from Amazon. The WiFi is worthless is Amazon is going to be screwing with the collections every time it's turned on.

Yeah, it would be nice if the Kindle could figure out the page numbers on the fly for any document. I don't rely on page numbers though....I just divide the location by 20 to convert to a page number.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:40 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Except that the Pocketbook Aqua is already available (pocketbook-int.com) and the next Kobo reader is rumoured to be waterproof (Kobo Aura H20 via The Digital Reader)
It is a solution looking for a problem.

It adds additional cost to the device for a feature that most will not need.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
Yeah, it would be nice if the Kindle could figure out the page numbers on the fly for any document. I don't rely on page numbers though....I just divide the location by 20 to convert to a page number.
You mean the Kindle should imitate the way ADE lies about page numbers? No thanks -- I always considered this one of the pluses of having a Kindle.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I won't be unhappy if they make no changes at all. I like the Paperwhite as it is. However, I would like a smaller body with the same size screen, as in the Kobo Aura. For me the screen size is just right.

I'd also like less reliance on page numbers and more on locations. Locations make more sense to me. This isn't a big thing to me. I'm okay with it as it is.

More control of margins would be nice but I've played with the margins on my Paperwhite and on my Kobo Aura and, frankly, I find it hard to care much. I tend to like the narrower margins but I'm fine with the wider ones.

It's kind of the same for me with fonts. Playing with them I find fonts I prefer but when I'm actually reading it doesn't seem to matter to me.

I guess the only thing I'd like to see change, and I know this won't happen, is collections to be device oriented instead of cloud oriented. I have 3 Paperwhites and I'd prefer to have each organized in it's own way. As it is I can do that but not gracefully so I've just made them all the same. Much better would be a setting to allow collections to be local or shared, kind of like the settings for highlights.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'd also like less reliance on page numbers and more on locations. Locations make more sense to me. This isn't a big thing to me. I'm okay with it as it is.
I don't have a problem with Real Page Numbers. What I have a problem with is readers which assume people just want to see a number, so when there isn't one they lie and make one up anyway.

Quote:
I guess the only thing I'd like to see change, and I know this won't happen, is collections to be device oriented instead of cloud oriented. I have 3 Paperwhites and I'd prefer to have each organized in it's own way. As it is I can do that but not gracefully so I've just made them all the same. Much better would be a setting to allow collections to be local or shared, kind of like the settings for highlights.
Yeah, I think a lot of people would love to see that.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
About the only features I want are:

1 Better Goodreads integration, I am still looking to be able to update to my shelves as well as see my Goodreads Challenge.
2. Better Cloud Collections. The way they are now are useless and more cumbersome.

I do not need a new device for these, it would be nice if they updated the current devices. I do not think I will be updating until/unless they make improvements. I currently own three working kindles, I do not see spending more money on another device that do not meet my basic needs.

Now seeing as how this is the year to update my Tablet, the 2014 Fire will determine if I stick with Amazon, go back to Samsung or switch to Nexus. So far I am leaning towards the Nexus,
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #13
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I would like to see a merger of the HDX and PW into a color eInk screen with full HDX capabilities.

Of course, with those benefits the price may be closer to the HDX than the PW.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:33 PM   #14
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
I just need one thing: adjustable auto-scroll.

(power consumption may be a lot more, so that's an issue.)
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #15
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I'd happily settle for a real water-resistant case that wasn't either a glorified plastic bag or an expensive Fort Knox type contraption. Something like the old M-Edge Leisure Jacket for use near the pool. I can't find anything like this for the PW.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote