Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #3391
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Swordheart by T. Kingfisher is $1.99 on Amazon.com this month.

This shares a setting with Kingfisher's (aka Ursula Vernon) Clocktaur War series but is a standalone.

Author's own description:
Quote:
It’s about a woman and a cranky enchanted sword. I’m told it’s hilarious. There is mortal peril, romance, and a very slow ox.
Quote:
Halla is a housekeeper who has suddenly inherited her great-uncle's estate... and, unfortunately, his relatives. Sarkis is an immortal swordsman trapped in a prison of enchanted steel. When Halla draws the sword that imprisons him, Sarkis finds himself attempting to defend his new wielder against everything from bandits and roving inquisitors to her own in-laws... and the sword itself may prove to be the greatest threat of all...
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #3392
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
In the US, I'm seeing two Kindle editions. One for $2.99, no publisher listed, and the preview doesn't show any TOC. At $3.99, there's a Hatchette/Gateway version which looks like it's definitely worth the extra dollar...YMMV.
The Hachette/Gateway for $3.99 appears to be the same book as the Gollancz hardcover (Hachette owns Gollancz). It has the same cover.

The $2.99 book with no publisher listed appears to be a generic copy that shares the same title. It has a completely different cover. Does not have the illustrations. Probably does not have the afterword. May have the same Lovecraft stories.

This is not too unusual for Amazon. You can never assume that the Kindle version that shares a page with a hardcover or paperback is actually the same book.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:54 AM   #3393
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why are you spending so much time talking about which Lovecraft collection of stories is the same as another? I thought they're all in the public domain, and already available in many other collections, some for free.

Fluribus, the Hachette/Gateway edition quotes Wikipedia for its description. Not a sign there's a good editor behind it, which is the only reason to prefer one edition over another.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:00 AM   #3394
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
Why are you spending so much time talking about which Lovecraft collection of stories is the same as another? I thought they're all in the public domain, and already available in many other collections, some for free.

Fluribus, the Hachette/Gateway edition quotes Wikipedia for its description. Not a sign there's a good editor behind it, which is the only reason to prefer one edition over another.
If you look at the previews, I'd say the Hatchette edition is definitely preferable. The other looks like someone threw the public domain text together in imitation of the collection and didn't bother to make a toc which would make it pretty unwieldy.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:25 AM   #3395
salty-horse
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
If you look at the previews, I'd say the Hatchette edition is definitely preferable. The other looks like someone threw the public domain text together in imitation of the collection and didn't bother to make a toc which would make it pretty unwieldy.
I'm saying both of these editions are probably not worth paying for
Old 12-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #3396
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
I'm saying both of these editions are probably not worth paying for
As I already had The Necronomicon in hardback (and the companion volume of non-mythos stories - Eldritch Tales), 99p was a good deal for me. This edition has some nice black & white illustrations; I am guessing the Gateway/Hachette edition is the same as the UK edition (Publisher: Gateway; Export Ed edition (18 Sept. 2008)). I was happy to get the Kindle edition as it means I don't have to lug around a nice collectible edition.

Even though the text is now public domain, you have to hunt around to get it; Project Gutenberg only has The Dunwich Horror and The Shunned House, the Faded Page (PG Canada) has 9 stories, I think there's others over in PG Australia (and Roy Glashan's library).
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:15 PM   #3397
salty-horse
Wizard

Try this free collection by the Arkham Archivist. It says it's complete. Formatting looks good to me, but maybe they are typos and scanning errors.

I did notice there's no sub-TOC for chapters in the novels, and it uses web-style paragraphs (with a spaces between them) but that can be fixed if you care about it.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:36 PM   #3398
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Endeavour Venture, Free

The High Kings by Joy Chant

First Published in 1984 by George Allen & Unwin.

A fantasy novel brimming with tales of Britain’s magnificent legends, tales of giants and sorcerers and druids; of epic heroism, death and disaster; tales of myth and magic and wonder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LG6B8L6/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LG6B8L6/

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LG6B8L6/
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:14 AM   #3399
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Today's Amazon.co.uk Big Deal is 12 books in Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series at 99p each:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Big-...ode=4725112031

Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth 1)
Stone of Tears Sword of Truth 2)
Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth 4)
Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth 5)
Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth 6)
The Pillars of Creation (Sword of Truth 7)
Naked Empire (Sword of Truth 8)
Chainfire (Sword of Truth 9)
Phantom (Sword of Truth 10)
Confessor (Sword of Truth 11)
Note that book 3 (Blood of the Fold) isn't in the deal.

And two prequels:
Debt of Bones (novella)
The First Confessor

Last edited by maddz; 12-08-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:33 PM   #3400
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I snoozed and loozed the last time this book was discounted.

Daniel Keyes - Flowers for Algernon on Amazon.com for $2.99.

While I was there....

Gene Wolf - The Fifth Head of Cerberus: Three Novellas on Amazon.com for $2.99.

Deal of the Day tag on these.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #3401
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Also "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman is $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IEJZRY/

EDIT: Also, "The Fall of Gondolin" by J.R.R. Tolkein and Christopher Tolkein is $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CFKN31Z/
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:48 AM   #3402
maddz
Wizard

Amazon.co.uk has some Last Minute Deals (prices good until Dec 22nd):

Hogfather, by Terry Pratchett (DiscWorld 20) is 99p
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hogfather-D...868340&sr=1-15

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, by Philip K Dick is 99p REPEAT
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Androids-Dr...AZJ14F&sr=1-50

The Princess Bride, by William Goldman is £2.19 REPEAT
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Princess-Br...AZJ14F&sr=1-92

Provenance, by Ann Leckie (Imperial Radch 4) 99p REPEAT
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Provenance-...ZJ14F&sr=1-101

The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury is 99p REPEAT
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Martian-Chr...ZJ14F&sr=1-109
Old 12-09-2019, 05:38 AM   #3403
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Also "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman is $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003IEJZRY/

EDIT: Also, "The Fall of Gondolin" by J.R.R. Tolkein and Christopher Tolkein is $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CFKN31Z/
Got Fall of Gondolin
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #3404
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
The Princess Bride is $3.99 CDN at Amazon Canada.

I'm torn. This is the first time in ages I've found a book I'd like to own with a major price difference between Amazon.ca and Kobo.ca. I could do a price match, I suppose, or I could just use the Apprentice plugin in Calibre. I dislike buying ebooks from Amazon unless they're Kindle exclusives though (a silly bias, I know, but real nonetheless.)
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #3405
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wanted to read Princess Bride but it'll have to wait until I can figure out how to extricate myself from this land war in Asia...
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote