Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
MarjaE
Evangelist
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story HD, Amazon Kindle 5, and Amazon Kindle DX
Simple ways to write up Metadata?

Hi,

Is there a simple way to write up the metadata for multiple books? So I don't worsen my rsi by manually cutting-and-pasting through each book?

For some ongoing research, I tracked down several hundred older web pages and/or internet archived web pages, and saved copies, and I have been importing these into Calibre. I usually use EpubPress for existing pages, and Dot Epub for archived pages.

I can use Bulk Edit for Genre, certain Tags, and Processing, but that doesn't help me with Author or Publisher. Most tools to save these books list themselves as the publisher, and list the original source url in their references. I want to list the tool under #Processing and the original source url under Publisher, so sources show up in library searches.

Author is harder, since Dot Epub tends to strip bylines when saving pages.

A tool which lets me select Dot Epub books, and copies the last url in each book and pastes that url into Publisher would be a very good start.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There are options in the Metadata Edit dropdown menu to Copy and Paste metadata from one book to another, there are also keyboard shortcuts you can customise, I have them set to Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. And there's a Tweak to control which columns gets copied, search for 'exclude'.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:57 AM   #3
MarjaE
Evangelist
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. That should help, but I was thinking of some way to extract info from the book itself without opening it, going to the end, selecting the url there, copying it, and pasting it in Calibre.
Old 12-03-2019, 03:02 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Thank you. That should help, but I was thinking of some way to extract info from the book itself without opening it, going to the end, selecting the url there, copying it, and pasting it in Calibre.
That would need a plugin. Something that would search the book text for URLs and present them to you to choose. Then update the metadata with the URL.

If anyone is interested in doing this, the Extract ISBN might serve as a starting point. It is searching for the ISBN in the first few pages of the book and then updates the metadata. Changing the search, and the presentation of the results is all that is needed
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:14 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
You can extract metadata from from book viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-12-03 175404.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	175305 Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-12-03 175627.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	175306

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the URL at the end of the book'; afaik there's no requirement for any such URL, and where would you put it?

The Viewer has a Copy Link option when you right click a Link, there's no toolbar button for it, and the 'where would put it question' remains.

Maybe a plugin could provide options to copy all links in a book to a list in a long text custom column, and an option to list them with a button to delete superfluous entries.

Added - @davidfor - Aussies on the same wavelength

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-03-2019 at 03:16 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:04 AM   #6
MarjaE
Evangelist

This is specifically for pages saved with Dot Epub, since it works on Internet Archive pages. These close with a disclaimer ending: "This e-book is not an authoritative source: please, visit the original webpage. (v. 0.8.17 / f1.2 L)" with a link for "original webpage."

It'd require a slightly different solution for EpubPress. These close with a final page of references, where the 1st link after "References 1." would usually be the best choice.