Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Substrate or video controller or...? [images now added]

I have an original oasis in beautiful condition with a few vertical lines on the screen (from top to bottom) but only in a few areas. Text on the Oasis is about 90-95% readable.

It doesn't have that fractured, shifted-screen look so common to a cracked substrate.

(I'll get a photo up later.)

What do you think this could be? Any ideas?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:36 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It could be the screen controller. I had a line in the middle of my old 505 and it was readable, but eventually, have the screen stopped responding. It wasn't a broken substrate. I would say it was a screen controller issue with the 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It could be the screen controller. I had a line in the middle of my old 505 and it was readable, but eventually, have the screen stopped responding. It wasn't a broken substrate. I would say it was a screen controller issue with the 505.
And I imagine the screen controller (on both devices) is/was buried somewhere on the motherboard?
Old 12-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
And I imagine the screen controller (on both devices) is/was buried somewhere on the motherboard?
I never opened the 505, but yes, that's where the screen controller should be.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:33 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I guess I can say chow-chow-chow to a mint-looking (yes...yes, of course 'mint' refers to coins since they are minted and ebook readers are note - complainers!) merlot cover AND Oasis.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I guess I can say chow-chow-chow to a mint-looking (yes...yes, of course 'mint' refers to coins since they are minted and ebook readers are note - complainers!) merlot cover AND Oasis.
You could always give Amazon a call and find out what they are willing to do.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Badly seated flex cable?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #8
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
^ Likely that.

I've fixed this exact problem on dozens of LCD screens and it is invariably a loose screen edge connector or poorly seated ribbon connector. Quite likely the same for an e-ink display as well.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:42 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, that's usually a tell-tale on LCD screens, but I'll admit to not knowing whether that would trigger the same thing on an eInk screen .

It's still driven by a TFT, so, prooobably, I guess?

(Not an engineer ;p).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Here is a teardown guide for taking the Oasis apart to get at the motherboard to fiddle with the screen connector.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Amazon+...lacement/99291
Old 12-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #11
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, an e-ink module uses a TFT matrix layer to address the pixels. The ink layer and drive waveforms will be different but the addressing & connectors will be much the same as an a TFT LCD.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Badly seated flex cable?

It's worth tearing down, if I can perhaps use my credit card to get in there and check. -- So thanks, everyone, for the suggestion.

Jon: Thanks for the tear-down info. This will be invaluable.

ADDED: Here are some images of the Oasis.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191202_192735.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	806.3 KB
ID:	175289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191202_192843.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	737.3 KB
ID:	175290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191202_192741.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	718.2 KB
ID:	175292  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-02-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:37 AM   #13
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius

When checking for a loose or dislodged ribbon connector, also look for cracks or defects in the cable and I would suggest cleaning the contacts on the end of the cable & connector with an electrical contact cleaner to remove oxidation.

In a minority of cases it may be contacts on the perimeter of the display module that are not seating properly. You can see the effect of this when you press or clamp with moderate force on the display frame.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Well, I took it apart (not all the way, though) and disconnected two cables and one other thing, and then connected the cables back again - and additional lines appeared on the LEFT side of the screen where previously there had been nothing.

Then I disconnected them all again, then reconnected them again and those lines on the left, at least, were gone. The unit now looks exactly like it did before I took it apart.

At least it's not any worse than it was before. I'm convinced it's not the screen, but I don't think the unit can be repaired by someone like me - especially if a cable is bad. This is the first Oasis (2016) and it was ordered and purchased from an outfit here in Peru 3 years ago.

However, it looks like I'll have to say 'Goodbye' to using it.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-04-2019 at 05:07 PM.