Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2017, 10:07 PM   #556
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenoc View Post
I didn't mean I had to swipe 6 times to wake it once. I meant another 6 instances of having to swipe to wake it would aggravate me to the point of paying the $20 to get rid of the SO, and it was probably less than that. My SO bit the dust last night. I don't like the "waking" delay either, but had to put up with it on the OA1, so it's nothing new for me.
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.

I thought about getting rid of the SO, but I don't like Amazon's standard screensavers, and I like the screen with the woman standing in a field with a telescope better. Because I almost never have Wifi on, I've only had an actual deal offered to me for a couple of days since I got it.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #557
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I am with Ellen. Once I got my replacement, I didn't last many swipes before I paid my way out of them. Just drove me nuts. Yet, I keep buying kindles with offers for some reason. Then I pay anyway to get out.
I don't even see the screen savers, it opens to too fast to see them. Now it does, without the offers. I just want to get back to my reading as fast as possible.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #558
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I am with Ellen. Once I got my replacement, I didn't last many swipes before I paid my way out of them. Just drove me nuts. Yet, I keep buying kindles with offers for some reason. Then I pay anyway to get out.

I don't even see the screen savers, it opens to too fast to see them. Now it does, without the offers. I just want to get back to my reading as fast as possible.

PSA: not guaranteed to work for others...

but... in the past week I got on Anson chat and asked first to transfer my "No offers" from my PW3 to my oasis2 and they did it for me and allowed me to keepthe special offers removed from the PW3.

When I decided to return the oasis 2 and bought an oasis 1 refurb, I did something similar telling them I was returning the oasis 2 and they gladly removed SO from the oasis 1.

YMMV but no harm is taking the two minutes to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:03 AM   #559
Trial_Master
Trial_Master began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hi all

Has anyone figured out how to get book thumbnails to show in My Library when loaded via Calibre?
Trial_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:01 PM   #560
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trial_Master View Post
Hi all

Has anyone figured out how to get book thumbnails to show in My Library when loaded via Calibre?
This probably should be a separate thread as many of us don't have an issue with thumbnails showing. It all depends on what format you're using, the size of your original cover and how you get the books on your kindle.

It's not really an Oasis issue as the same OS is on many kindles.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 04:07 PM   #561
Trial_Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
This probably should be a separate thread as many of us don't have an issue with thumbnails showing. It all depends on what format you're using, the size of your original cover and how you get the books on your kindle.

It's not really an Oasis issue as the same OS is on many kindles.
That’s odd because my Paperwhite (Gen1) thumbnails works just fine?

Format is MOBI, Covers are sourced via Amazon, Google etc... in Calibre.

Do I need to adjust Calibre for Oasis? Funny thing is the covers show on Home page but not in My Library.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #562
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That’s odd because my Paperwhite (Gen1) thumbnails works just fine?

Format is MOBI, Covers are sourced via Amazon, Google etc... in Calibre.

Do I need to adjust Calibre for Oasis? Funny thing is the covers show on Home page but not in My Library.
Calibre wouldn't work any differently for the Oasis than the Paperwhite. I use mobi and send my books to my Kindle via Send to Kindle. In Calibre my covers are approx 1200 x 1800 as if much smaller they don't load on my kindle.

I don't understand why Covers would show on the home screen but not in your library. Can you elaborate on what you mean?
Old 11-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #563
Trial_Master

I’ll look into the covers dimensions and see if that makes a difference. On the Home screen I can see recently added books with their covers, in My Library just the default title is shown, funny thing is if I click on the three dots on a book in My Library which opens an options menu it shows the cover at top alongside title.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6D897F4C-1E0D-423E-B4F2-AA0F71B78AE1.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	684.5 KB
ID:	160132   Click image for larger version

Name:	D98AFB52-9878-4EC9-8D3B-246A7070D5E6.jpeg
Views:	188
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	160133   Click image for larger version

Name:	DDFB4795-8AB1-4F43-A297-865DE9EBC62A.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	841.4 KB
ID:	160134  
Old 11-20-2017, 04:46 PM   #564
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I’ll look into the covers dimensions and see if that makes a difference. On the Home screen I can see recently added books with their covers, in My Library just the default title is shown, funny thing is if I click on the three dots on a book in My Library which opens an options menu it shows the cover at top alongside title.
It could be a sync issue with the Amazon server. Hubby had my Voyage and it took days for the covers of his books to sync properly, initially they showed like that, and he only had Amazon books. One thing I did notice was that If a book downloaded without a cover it stayed that way, so for his kindle I removed everything and waited for the covers to show in the cloud, then downloaded the book.

Did your books have covers before you downloaded them?
Old 11-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #565
Trial_Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post

Did your books have covers before you downloaded them?
I'm side loading them from Calibre. The thumbnails appear in Calibre and from above screen shots they appear to have been transferred to Oasis, but don't display in My Library view?
Old 11-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #566
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm side loading them from Calibre. The thumbnails appear in Calibre and from above screen shots they appear to have been transferred to Oasis, but don't display in My Library view?
Ahh, I'm lost then, sorry, I don't sideload anything. All my personal document books go into the Amazon Cloud via Send to Kindle, and then download to my kindle.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:57 PM   #567
Trial_Master

Would you mine explaining your process and I'll try instead

Appreciate your assistance, I want to get this Oasis as it's an upgrade xmas present from Paperwhite for my wife
Old 11-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #568
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Appreciate your assistance, I want to get this Oasis as it's an upgrade xmas present from Paperwhite for my wife

I load my books into Calibre.
I make sure the cover is quite large, in Edit it shows on the bottom of the cover, I aim for 1200 x 1800 approx. If it's too small I resize the cover, then reconvert the file to a new mobi.
I already have the Amazon program Send to Kindle on my pc, so once I'm happy with the book I right click to show the file in its folder (i.e select show in windows explorer for a pc) then right click the book and select Send to Kindle which will be in the right click menu.
This opens a new window which shows the title, the author and all the kindles registered to your account. I select the kindle/s I want the book to go to and send the book (sorry working from memory here).
This programs send the book to the kindle/s you have selected. The advantage of this is that the book is now in the Amazon Cloud an dcan be access on any kindle or kindle app registered to your account.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #569
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Send to kindle can be downloaded from here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle
Old 11-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #570
Trial_Master

That’s great info. Thank you very much. I’ll give that a go and let you know

Can collections be created and arranged using software or is that still done on Kindle?

Last edited by Trial_Master; 11-20-2017 at 05:21 PM.