Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #76
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Different people have different interests. Many of my friends spend all their free time watching TV. Am I to be "pitied" because I prefer to read instead? It's simply a different interest. I think there's a little "intellectual snobbery" in the view that reading is somehow a "superior" hobby to other forms of entertainment. If you enjoy doing something, that's what matters.
+1

I know intelligent educated people who don't read (except what they need to for work). They seem quite happy and productive. I know people who only read "fun" stuff and nothing "serious" as they get enough of that in real life. I just want to have fun too, but for me that includes reading serious or difficult books. I'm sure other people feel sorry for me because I'm not capable of doing what they do. All the pity and/or scorn is quite unnecessary. In the end, it's your life.

The other thing to consider is people tend to get into different things at different points in their lives. Many loved to read when they were young, go away from it, then return to reading later on. As for dating, you can always turn a SO on to reading and they can turn you on to something else. Like mountain climbing . The main thing is is the sex hot?

Last edited by Barty; 09-07-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #77
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Lol, having a lot of books one hasn't read is a very nasty trap. Rathet sooner than later the collector will meet someone who actually has read a bunch of the books present.

To answer the thread question: Yes.
Although I agree with previous postings insofar as that a lacking of common interests may be ignored if no long-term relationship plans, but only a bit mattress exercise is involved, a complete non-reader would just alienate me.
As was stated before, imagination and reading are close things. I'd rather doubt, that having sex with an unimaginative person would be an interesting experience.

Last edited by Freeshadow; 09-07-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #78
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
In general, I don't say I deplore non-readers. I would say I find them difficult to understand. I'm sure it goes both ways.
>Pictures the blank stares as he tells someone he not only owns, but has read, thousands of books. Yes, literally. In the true sense of the word "literally."<

As to the scenario, I can't imagine dating/being in a relationship with someone who doesn't read for pleasure. It's hard enough being married to someone with reading tastes not always in sync with mine; I can't fathom being with someone who can't "get" why I enjoy reading at all.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #79
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Oh, but there is hope yet, even as we readers "tolerate" non-readers.

Last year, I set up a reading group in our local newcomers' club. The idea of the group was supposed to be for those who like to read in English to gather every couple of weeks and just tell us what they're reading. No big intellectual "discussion" but rather a chance to exchange what's interesting to read (and for the non-native speakers, how difficult or easy to read in English).

One lady who was a faithful member of the group admitted that she doesn't read much other than the odd magazine, but she appreciated the chance to practice her English (which she speaks very well!). OK, it helps that she has an opinion on everything and no hesitation to join in any discussion.

Ultimately, all the French people read in French, but most of it was books translated from English, so we got into finding the titles of the translations and exchanging suggestions about authors from all sorts of languages.

Yesterday was the first meeting for the newcomers' group (not the book group) and my "non-reader" member was there. First thing she said to me when she saw me was "I read TWO books over the summer!" Am dying to hear at the first book group meeting what books they were and her opinion of them.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #80
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
In general, I don't say I deplore non-readers. I would say I find them difficult to understand. I'm sure it goes both ways.
>Pictures the blank stares as he tells someone he not only owns, but has read, thousands of books. Yes, literally. In the true sense of the word "literally."<
For occasional encounters, when we first became a tv-less family by choice, in the early 90's we'd get the blank stares and disbelief.

"You are kidding me!" "So, what do you DO?" Even the explanation that we occasionally had visual media in other formats (dvd, vcr hooked to computer monitor) didn't seem to placate them .

(At the time, our crowd of children were very young - kind of the opposite of how when I was young in the 70's parents who 'let the tv babysit' were often scorned.)

I remember being 10 years old talking to a woman who was visiting my foster mother, about my 'top 5 favourite tv shows", and the woman was old-fashioned and kind of shocked, that any young child would watch enough television to *have* enough knowledge of tv programming to pick 5 they liked best.

Nowadays at least most people I know use you-tube and have "seen that video with the..."

During those younger years for our 4 (sometimes 5) children, they most certainly did behave WELL when at a movie theatre. They savored the experience and didn't take it for granted. We'd go out as a family once or twice per year to watch a movie.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #81
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I think the guy got lucky.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #82
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
For occasional encounters, when we first became a tv-less family by choice, in the early 90's we'd get the blank stares and disbelief.

"You are kidding me!" "So, what do you DO?" Even the explanation that we occasionally had visual media in other formats (dvd, vcr hooked to computer monitor) didn't seem to placate them .

(At the time, our crowd of children were very young - kind of the opposite of how when I was young in the 70's parents who 'let the tv babysit' were often scorned.)

I remember being 10 years old talking to a woman who was visiting my foster mother, about my 'top 5 favourite tv shows", and the woman was old-fashioned and kind of shocked, that any young child would watch enough television to *have* enough knowledge of tv programming to pick 5 they liked best.

Nowadays at least most people I know use you-tube and have "seen that video with the..."

During those younger years for our 4 (sometimes 5) children, they most certainly did behave WELL when at a movie theatre. They savored the experience and didn't take it for granted. We'd go out as a family once or twice per year to watch a movie.
more people could stand to go tv-less in this country-

other than a handful of shows, i despise tv. i think i'm the only person under 80 who calls it "the idiot box".

Last edited by xg4bx; 09-07-2012 at 08:10 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #83
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would you believe that despite limited ways of 'watching stuff' we still managed to occasionally watch what could be considered 'too much'?

That convinced us that we didn't really need tv to be suitably entertained
Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #84
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Would you believe that despite limited ways of 'watching stuff' we still managed to occasionally watch what could be considered 'too much'?

i used to watch a lot of tv back during the era of sitcoms now it's all this reality TV show crap.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #85
spindlegirl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
i used to watch a lot of tv back during the era of sitcoms now it's all this reality TV show crap.
Yah. Aside from watching the Canadian "Battle of the Blades" Reality shows don't impress me a bit. (I first heard of it when I went onto youtube to explain to my daughter who Kurt Browning was, and show his 'Singing in the Rain' routine).

Most of the things we watched/watch were/are old sitcoms that I remember sneaking into the tv room as a youngster, to watch. Now I let my children watch them ... but they like the nostalgia of older shows, so do I.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #86
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
I abhor reality TV, but reality shows are not the whole story. There's plenty of great TV shows out there: Breaking Bad, Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Dexter, House (8 seasons of it)... As for sitcoms, I can still watch Two and a Half Men and The Big Bang Theory...

There's something for every taste (e.g. police procedurals, for those so inclined). I don't think there was ever a better age of TV programming. And with the internet + TiVO, you're no longer a slave to the networks' schedule.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:56 PM   #87
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
the worst part of modern times is that some guy may just send you a link of his bookshelf in goodreads as proof that he reads a lot, but it may just be as fake as his public profile. He may also download tons of books via torrent to impress you the next time you peek at his e-reader.

at least the old days you knew the guy at least spent a few bucks to have those shelves filled...

but of course that's all beyond the real point: books are not the main source of entertainment and culture anymore, as others observed. Can't you date the guy based on his choices of movies, TV shows or games?

Last edited by Namekuseijin; 09-07-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #88
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:

i almost had my tv watching down to one or two shows each week but then all these retro stations popped on my cable system. i'm weak when it comes to the twilight zone, outer limits, leave it to beaver and the 3 stooges. i could easily just buy these entire series' on dvd but i like the novelty of watching them as if they were new.

my wife calls me an old man (i'm only 34) but i'm starting to believe it lol. my tastes are definitely outside the norm for my age group.

Last edited by xg4bx; 09-08-2012 at 01:00 AM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #89
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
the worst part of modern times is that some guy may just send you a link of his bookshelf in goodreads as proof that he reads a lot, but it may just be as fake as his public profile. He may also download tons of books via torrent to impress you the next time you peek at his e-reader.

at least the old days you knew the guy at least spent a few bucks to have those shelves filled...

but of course that's all beyond the real point: books are not the main source of entertainment and culture anymore, as others observed. Can't you date the guy based on his choices of movies, TV shows or games?
i think for me, i would date a guy based on his values and if he respects his family
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:41 AM   #90
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
I must admit that when I met Mister all I was interested in was chewing the buttons off his oxford cloth shirt. His only concern was to make sure he wasn't committing a felony.

Over the years we've developed shared interests, some originally mine, some his, but reading is not one of them. It used to bother him a tiny bit, as he thought spending time together required more conversation, while I was happy to snuggle up to him, immersed in whatever I was reading.

It works for us.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote