Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
7cats
7cats began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire 8", Lenovo Nook 10"
Converted book file names

I have a book file with a particular name, and I run it through Calibre conversion to AZW3, I would like for the new filename to be the same as the original one, just with the different extension. Is there a way to have Calibre not generate a converted filename different than the original one?
7cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #2
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Preferences > Input/Export > Adding Books > Reading Metadata > Uncheck "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name"
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
Preferences > Input/Export > Adding Books > Reading Metadata > Uncheck "Read metadata from file contents rather than file name"
But doing that for one book will cause an issue with other books. I suggest not doing it.

The solution could be changing the title to this name and then using Polish books (in Calibre) to update the metadata. Then when you convert, it will use the filename in the metadata.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7cats View Post
I have a book file with a particular name, and I run it through Calibre conversion to AZW3, I would like for the new filename to be the same as the original one, just with the different extension. Is there a way to have Calibre not generate a converted filename different than the original one?
If you add a book to calibre, it will be renamed in the library according to calibres standards. There is a sticky thread explaining this. You can use save-to-disk to export the converted book to whatever name you want. If you need this, I would recommend the GetFileName to store the original file name in a custom column and use this in the save-to-disk template.

Alternatively, calibre has a suite of command-line tools. You can do the conversion with the appropriate tool and specify the output file name.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:26 PM   #5
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But doing that for one book will cause an issue with other books. I suggest not doing it.

The solution could be changing the title to this name and then using Polish books (in Calibre) to update the metadata. Then when you convert, it will use the filename in the metadata.
Why did you assume there are other books? What if he wants to do this with all books added to Calibre, with the intention of only converting them and then copying or moving the azw3 files back to the original folders and not using Calibre as a library? My solution would be the quickest and easiest way to accomplish this, if that is his intention.

If his question only applies to one book, then renaming the file after dragging it into Calibre (using F2 to rename each column quickly) and using Polish to update the metadata would be fine.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
7cats

Sorry, should have been clear. I've got hundreds of books, and manually changing them "back" is a pain.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:40 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Have you tried the GetFileName plugin recommended by davidfor? Then you can just do a Save to disk with filename set to {#custom_column_with_original_filename}
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 02:32 AM   #8
7cats

Not yet, got to figure out how to create the custom column and find the plugin

Tags
file name