Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook classic, nook color
Nook Color: Suggested Apps For Your Rooted NOOKcolor

Wondering who else put apps successfully on there nooks. So far i have tried and had work:

angry birds
Astro filemanager
launcher pro
Scrabble (small screen in corner)
Advanced task killer
dolphin browser hd
gameboid, guitar hero WoR (small screen)
Tetris (small screen)
Tower raiders
GBCoid
kindle
Abducted! 2
Teamviewer <- great for remote desktoping
office suite
winamp
google earth
appplanet.net
google maps
speedx 3d - you must try this game!
rockplayer
droidftp
andtftp (i prefer droidftp)

failed:
vplayer
swype
battle bears zombie
Nexus live wallpaper (all wall papers tried failed)

[Images WAY TOO LARGE - re-post smaller ones. - Moderator]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-27-2010 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added apps
exodus1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
discourse
Connoisseur
discourse has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: NOOK Simple Touch with GlowLight, iPad 1
The NC is the most exciting device to come along in a long while!
discourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
Snard
Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Snard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color
What, no Angry Birds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus1999 View Post
Wondering who else put apps successfully on there nooks. So far i have tried and had work:

Astro filemanager
Scrabble (small screen in corner)
Advanced task killer
dolphin browser hd
gameboid, guitar hero WoR (small screen)
Tetris (small screen)
Tower raiders
GBCoid
kindle

I really want docs 2 go to work, ill try that when im home from work.
Snard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Slydini
Slydini began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
I propose that the moderator make this a sticky and perhaps we can have a compatibility rating like:

Fully compatible

Compatible with a few issues (please elaborate here, e.g. Soft button issue, awkward screen resolution on the higher res nook color, etc)

Incompatible

Question on the dolphin browser: does pinch to zoom work?

How about a better gallery app that refreshes thumbnails quickly like the one found in android 2.1? We really need something that supports sub folders for pics!
Slydini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #5
mad5427
mad5427 doesn't littermad5427 doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
I've gotten angry birds and angry birds seasons to work.

The only other program I downloaded so far is Dolphin HD. Works great. Pinch zooming does work. I'm trying to get used to that.

I'm new to the android platform, so I don't know what apps are great yet. I'll probably install an email program, a few more games and hopefully documents to go and be done.

I'm waiting for somebody to tackle the issue of control over the home page. Once that is unlocked and I can put whatever I want on it, it'll be the perfect device for me. I'll be set for a long long time.
mad5427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
So, is there a softroot yet for those of us without Linux access?
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
exodus1999
Enthusiast
exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.exodus1999 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snard View Post
What, no Angry Birds?

My mistake, angry birds was the first app i installed..im playing right now at work lol
Old 12-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #8
mad5427
mad5427 doesn't littermad5427 doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
The XDA forum has pretty detailed instructions for doing this in linux, windows and mac.

I typed up a detailed list of instructions for rooting using a mac. I even went deeper and detailed installing adb to your computer, etc. It's not too difficult and I'm very much a novice at this and was able to do it.
mad5427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
exodus1999
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Yep, i did it on windows. checkout nookdevs or xda's websites they have instructions..its relatively simple.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
Excellent! I'll be all over this then! Of course, I have no idea about installing apps or anything like it so I guess I'll try and learn about that before I go doing this...

Last edited by Grimm; 12-01-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
emt
Nameless Being

The NookDevs Root Instructions..

Are complete, sort of, but for example you need to use Winimage to write the nooter image to the uSD card if you are on Windows - was not at all intuitive for me.

I'm waiting for a ROM image
Old 12-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Are complete, sort of, but for example you need to use Winimage to write the nooter image to the uSD card if you are on Windows - was not at all intuitive for me.

I'm waiting for a ROM image
I have rooted an android phone before and I read the instructions for Nook root at least 3 times and have to say I agree with you. When I start seeing instructions within instructions it gives me pause. Seriously, smack in the middle of the rooting instructions is a link to another entire written page on another step you have to complete to install drivers, etc., but it says not to do that til you finish root, but when you read the driver page it sounds like you have to have them installed before you can root.

I'm not sure I will give this a go just yet...I still haven't even figured out how to close Pandora without signing out...
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm assuming that the NC can always be restored back to factory settings without a trace of it ever having been rooted. Is that correct?
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
...I still haven't even figured out how to close Pandora without signing out...
You don't need to sign out of Pandora for the app to quit. Simply pause the song before leaving the app. After a few minutes of being paused the app will quit on its own. When you return to Pandora you'll be logged in and on the same song that you paused. Just press play and resume.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #15
bilbothejust
Enthusiast
bilbothejust is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad -> Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You don't need to sign out of Pandora for the app to quit. Simply pause the song before leaving the app. After a few minutes of being paused the app will quit on its own. When you return to Pandora you'll be logged in and on the same song that you paused. Just press play and resume.
As always you have good tips Scion. Are you going to root your NC?
bilbothejust is offline   Reply With Quote