Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
(Problem Resolved) AARGGGGHHHHH!!! Sony #&%@&^#(*%!*#& CS

So I ordered my Sony Reader in mid-July, enticed by the price ($60) and offer of $50 credit in the Connect Store. Was concerned about delays in shipping, because the $50 credit offer expired July 31. (A subsequent offer of 100 free "Classic" downloads is useless to me.) Went on vacation in August, and the Reader eventually arrived (last week).

I promptly e-mailed Sony CS regarding the long delay in shipping, and was told I could still get the $50 credit. Just send in a copy of my invoice showing I ordered the Reader before the end of July. I was also told that the $50 credit had to be used by August 31 (hmmmm.... that's today) as the offer is dead after that.

I promptly e-mailed a copy of my invoice, received a response (after a day or 2) saying the file was corrupt and I needed to re-send. I did so immediately on Tuesday. No response. I e-mailed an update to my follow-up on Wednesday, adding "URGENT" to the subject, politely requesting a fast response because the offer expires on Friday. Still no response. I sent in a new CS request, also marked URGENT, referencing my previous request (which is on file in their online tracking system) and again requesting an immediate response. Nada.

So, today is August 31, the last day to redeem the $50 credit which I have yet to receive. Not trustung any CS anywhere, I searched and finally found a phone number to call. (This was not simple--Sony Connect does NOT provide any phone number to speak to a live person. The number turned up in a direct e-mail from Connect to a customer, which was buried in a post somewhere in these very forums!)

So I called, hoping to reach a live CS rep and quickly resolve the request, get my credit, and buy a few e-books before midnight tonight. I anxiously dial, and am greeted with a recorded message saying that THE OFFICE IS CLOSED TODAY FOR A COMPANY HOLIDAY, AND WILL BE OPEN AT 8 A.M. CST ON THE NEXT BUSINESS DAY!

So, my hopes of actually getting a response to my request today, and of getting my $50 credit, are dashed completely.

I am NOT a happy camper!!! Their promise of a response within 24 hours is BS!

And I just needed to vent.

I do plan to call on Tuesday, and explain the whole fiasco. The content and times of my e-mails are in their system. I suspect they may tell me it's too late to do anything, but I will certainly do my best to convince them otherwise. The best I can do is to threaten to boycott the Connect Store and never buy an ebook from them, and to bad-mouth their poor responsiveness and service to others, if they don't make good on the offer which I qualified for and requested in a timely manner.

Any other suggestions? Anyone else have experience with Sony Connect CS?
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Community experience with the support folks suggests that you should as for a supervisor for anything mildly complicated, other than that, I'd do just what you're planning to do.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
To follow up and agree with Nathan's comment, I'd say that the consensus appears to be that Sony is reasonably responsive to customer's needs, but that it is important to get to a supervisor when you have a Reader issue that is non-standard.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

I will certainly try to get to a supervisor once I call them up on an "open" day. I didn't think they'd fail to respond in a timely manner, and until just a short while ago did not know of a phone number to contact CS. As mentioned earlier, they do not provide a contact number anywhere on the Connect site (at least not that I could find!)--only e-mail requests.

Now that I vented, I will have to report back later with whatever resolution comes of this.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Other than trivial issues that are not worth writing about (or calling support about) I have found that most front line Sony support people are worth the effort. (There have been exceptions.) Supervisors are the way to go.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:06 PM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I'd gladly sell my $350 reader & it's $50 credit to you for your $60 reader & no credit. Just asking $200 boot.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
I'd gladly sell my $350 reader & it's $50 credit to you for your $60 reader & no credit. Just asking $200 boot.
How about an even-up trade?

It's just that I want it ALL. It took them forever to ship the darn thing, and now my time-critical requests for the credit which they acknowledged I qualify for have gone unanswered. We'll see what the lucky supervisor who gets my call next week has to say. (And yes, I'll be polite *and* rational!)
Old 08-31-2007, 11:27 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I will certainly try to get to a supervisor once I call them up on an "open" day. I didn't think they'd fail to respond in a timely manner, and until just a short while ago did not know of a phone number to contact CS. As mentioned earlier, they do not provide a contact number anywhere on the Connect site (at least not that I could find!)--only e-mail requests.

Now that I vented, I will have to report back later with whatever resolution comes of this.
Actually, they do. That's how I found the phone number I';ve been occasionally posting in the forum. What I did was very logical. I did not see the phone number on the home page of the Connect Store. So I clicked help, Then I was presented with their FAQ with a search box. I typed in contact and searched and found it right away. Very easy and quite logical.

Quote:
I still need help. How do I contact Customer Service for CONNECT eBooks?
Question
How do I contact Customer Service for CONNECT eBooks?
Answer

You can contact the eBook Customer Support Team via email or by phone at 877-CNECTME (877-263-2863).

Our hours of Support are (Central Time):

9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday and 10am to 2pm, Saturday and Sunday.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
How about an even-up trade?

It's just that I want it ALL. It took them forever to ship the darn thing, and now my time-critical requests for the credit which they acknowledged I qualify for have gone unanswered. We'll see what the lucky supervisor who gets my call next week has to say. (And yes, I'll be polite *and* rational!)
I don't think it really matters that the $50 connect books offer has expired. All Sony has to do is give you a $50 credit to your account and you would be all set to purchase books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, they do. That's how I found the phone number I';ve been occasionally posting in the forum. What I did was very logical. I did not see the phone number on the home page of the Connect Store. So I clicked help, Then I was presented with their FAQ with a search box. I typed in contact and searched and found it right away. Very easy and quite logical.
Yes, you are correct. They do give a phone number, but nowhere directly on the help page. And I did not make it all th way down to question #99 and click on it to find the phone number therein.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #11
DrMoze
Booknut

Credit Issue Resolved

The obligatory follow-up: I finally received a response from Sony CS yesterday (8 days after my submission of requested info!). The rep included a code but wasn't sure if it would work for the expired offer. Well, the code work and I got $50 credit (which I promptly used). And I didn't even have to speak with a supervisor!

(Plus, I still have the Sony Classics credit, which I believe is good until December. That's not as valuable to me, as I have the Silk Pagoda DVD which has good formatting from what I looked at so far.)

Just another lesson to not worry so much. (Although I wasn't obsessing, just initially frustrated when I started this thread.)
Old 09-06-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That's excellent news! Glad to hear that everything worked out for you!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote