Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #1
damnyankeeuk
damnyankeeuk began at the beginning.

Device: prs 300
Not sure what the problem is...

I bought a few old books in PDF format frrom a dealer on Ebay. They open fine on my computer, and in the Sony library ...I can acess them and see the entire book.

The problem arises when I transfer them to my PRS 300 reader. They show that they transfered okay, and when you open them the first 8 to 10 pages are fine, but the rest of the pages are all blank.

I can't for the life of me what is going on. If it was a PDF problem, I'd expect it to show up on the laptop and the sony libtrary asw well as on the 300.

The only other thing I can think it might be would be some kind of security device to stop pirating of ebooks. Has anyone heard of this problem before? anyone got a solution?

Appreciate any help you can offer, but please keep in mind I am not a techno geek, so please use little words for me.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can provide. I'm going to be really upset if I find I have to pay 10-15 pounds apiece to get my old favorites on my reader. Kind of makes it a pointless exercise.

Oh, not sure if it makes a difference, but I am in thre UK.

Cheers,

Greg
damnyankeeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
suzieb9
suzieb9 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
i had this very same problem drove me nuts cos i didnt know what the problem was - the solution is to convert ur pdf files(i used calibre) to epub it works perfectly fine then -hope this is a help
suzieb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
damnyankeeuk

Wow...sounds too techy for me. I think it's a job for my better half. Is Calibre freeware/shareware/ or buyware?

Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 12-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Greg.

First off, which authors are you looking for? They may be available cheaper elsewhere.

Ebay isn't always the best choice.....I"m not sure why the pages are coming up blank..

Calibre is free, developed by our own kovid goyal, and here is the link. there is even a short video highlighting exactly how to install. Try it.........you'll wonder how you ever did without it. Keeps your books wonderfully organized on your computer.

http://calibre-ebook.com/
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, Greg.

First off, which authors are you looking for? They may be available cheaper elsewhere.

Ebay isn't always the best choice.....I"m not sure why the pages are coming up blank..

Calibre is free, developed by our own kovid goyal, and here is the link. there is even a short video highlighting exactly how to install. Try it.........you'll wonder how you ever did without it. Keeps your books wonderfully organized on your computer.

http://calibre-ebook.com/
Seconding this. Stay away from ebay for ebooks. If they aren't public domain books (which you can get for free here and many other places), then usually they are illegal ebooks. Not always, but mostly.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
damnyankeeuk

Just finished converting a few of my books, and put them on the ereader...works great. You folks have saved my sanity, for which I'll always be grateful.

One suggestion for Calibre though, I still have to use the sony library to disconnext my reader rom the computer. Any chance Calibre can add a disconnect function?

I'll be making a (happy) donation in the next couple of days. I'm not a teckie, and if I can do it, anyone can! I am a convert now!

Again Thanks to all for the help! I was getting ready to turn my reader into a frisbee.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Calibre's got a device disconnect function... move pointer into place where library icon and reader icon show... move to reader icon (just to right) and disconnect icon shows...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Catriona
Catriona began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (International); Ipod Touch
Hi, all.

I've just ordered a Kindle 2 (int version), after becoming frustrated with the battery life on my ipod touch which I have been using (with Stanza) for some time.

I've got some downtime at work (rare enough), so I thought I'd do some advance reading to figure out what I'll need to do to get started with my Kindle.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm somewhat lost with formats. As far as I can tell, all of my books (purchased from Books on Board, never downloaded to PC, just to iphone) are in eReader format, and I therefore need to download my books to my laptop, and then convert them so that I can read them on my Kindle. I think (if I am right), Calibre can do this conversion for me - it looks great, by the way. Then, I can simply transfer the books via usb to my kindle.

Would someone be so kind as to (a) confirm if I am right in my thinking, and (b) translate for me - what format will I be converting from and to?

Really grateful for this help - for someone who usually understands this kind of stuff I'm being remarkably slow on the uptake!
Catriona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm somewhat lost with formats. As far as I can tell, all of my books (purchased from Books on Board, never downloaded to PC, just to iphone) are in eReader format, and I therefore need to download my books to my laptop, and then convert them so that I can read them on my Kindle. I think (if I am right), Calibre can do this conversion for me - it looks great, by the way. Then, I can simply transfer the books via usb to my kindle.
Right on all counts, with one (possible) catch - if your books are DRMed you'll need to disinfect them before you can convert them, as Calibre only does its magic with DRM-free books. A bit of quick googling should find the ereader2html (or ereader2pml) scripts that you'll need. Once you have DRM-free books, you'll want to convert them into Mobi format, then copy the Mobi versions to your kindle via USB.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Catriona
Catriona began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (International); Ipod Touch
Woo hoo! OK, so I can start "working" on these tonight, disinfecting if necessary (I'll try Calibre out on one, but I assume that since I have commercially-available books, they will be drm-protected), and transfer to my kindle when it arrives in a couple of days!

Thanks, Pardoz.
Catriona is offline   Reply With Quote