Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #1
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Question for Kindle 1 and 2 owners re: direct sunshine

Hey guys,

Imagine the horror when I turned on my Kindle 2 while walking downtown today and the screen immediately faded and turned blotchy from the sun hitting it! Is this normal? I thought that the Kindle could be read in direct sunlight and this is only weak spring strength sunlight!

So what we have here is whenever the screen is refreshed by page turning and it's in direct sunlight, the text is washed out. But step into the shade and turn a page forward or back, and then back to the original page, it comes up fine. Although I do note some letters may be a little distorted but a pixel or two. See attached photos to view this phenomenon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pg1.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	24927   Click image for larger version

Name:	pg2.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	24928  

Last edited by MsAstoria; 03-03-2009 at 01:57 PM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Nope..you can read the Kindle in direct sunlight. I would call Amazon.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You may have a defective unit. There wee a few folks who reported this with K1 as well. I never had that problem.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
astromusic
astromusic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
My K2 works fine in direct sunshine.
astromusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #5
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Hey guys,

Imagine the horror when I turned on my Kindle 2 while walking downtown today and the screen immediately faded and turned blotchy from the sun hitting it! Is this normal? I thought that the Kindle could be read in direct sunlight and this is only weak spring strength sunlight!
I saw a posting on the same thing from another K2 owner on Amazon forum, so should I call tech support
So second call to Amazon support got me a new Kindle to be sent to replace this one. It's obviously defective and the gal was very nice and handled the situation well. Seems they have had a few K2's being returned with this same issue. So, new K2 owners, be sure and check your Kindle out in direct sunlight before you start loading it up with all your MP3's and doc, urls. Guess I will be copying my urls to my main computer or maybe I can just cope the document folder in K2 Drive? Does that work? Hmm, good thing all Amazon purchases are backed up on Amazon.com and I will just have to put back on my FreeBooks and other freebies on the new unit. Just a minor inconvenience.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
freecia
Enthusiast
freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3 3g+wifi, kindle 2, kindle 1
I had a similar problem with the screen looking washed out in areas. I think it was the screensaver and a partial refresh.

Will have to try the kindle in sunlight except it has been raining or cloudy non-stop.

Update: Bummer. Mine exhibits this behavior. I have a new one on the way and this will be the first thing I check after registering it.

Last edited by freecia; 03-09-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: response updated
freecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
This happens to my 505, if the sun is bright. It goes away after you turn it off.

It doesn't usually bother me (I usually get my head shadow to block the light), but I will know better when I come back from the sunny Bahamas
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
DebraSeattleGrrl
DebraSeattleGrrl doesn't litterDebraSeattleGrrl doesn't litter

It's good to know that Amazon backs it's product with customer service
DebraSeattleGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:07 PM   #9
Rontonio
Rontonio began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I’ve contacted Amazon customer service to return my second Kindle. Both of them had the same problem. After 30 seconds to a minute indirect sunlight the E-Ink print degraded to only partial readability. This is 2 Kindles. The first I received on Friday, and noticed the problem on Saturday. Customer service was very nice, and they send a replacement out. I received that one today, charged it, took it outside on and watched my happiness fade away. I also own a Sony 505, and although it is affected by sunlight, it only happens when the Reader gets very warm. When I tilt the screen, or refresh, the print looks all right again. On the Reader, the font seem to “thin”, and thicken again after a refresh. With the Kindle the font softens and shortly “breaks-up”. It looks like a printed page that was produced with a copier low on ink. I am not a sunbather. The Kindle problem happens when I’m outside having a coffee and reading with my back to the sun. As soon as it hits the screen the degradation starts. Customer service will send both Kindles to their “development team” and get back to me. Amazon was patient and helpful, and exhibited great customer service.
Rontonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
MsAstoria
Evangelist

I had the same problem and Amazon replaced mine. My replacement seems to be fine in the sunshine (which is at a premium this week as I look out at the gray skies and blowing snow). Now if only the whispernet would work! I am really regretting selling my PRS-505 but I am hoping all issues will be resolved soon.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I've got three K1s and never had this problem with any of them.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Ok... so after reading this thread.... I of course ran outside to test mine in direct sunlight. Then I remembered that I live in Washington and we were in the middle of a snow storm.

So, I waited two days and then did the test. No problems here (whew!), except everyone on my block thinks I am "challenged".
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:22 PM   #13
freecia
Enthusiast
freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3 3g+wifi, kindle 2, kindle 1
My exchanged unit is fine and even better, the contrast is a bit better on the new unit. I asked a few impartial observers which had better contrast or was easier to read and they all pointed to the new unit.
freecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Mine is showing this same problem, although not as bad as the OP's. I was just reading where Amazon CS is now telling folks to just return them for a refund instead of exchange. Don't know if I'll return it or try to get it replaced yet. It's having other issues too.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-13-2009 at 09:25 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #15
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If the sun ever comes out I'll test mine but as far as I can tell mine doesn't have that problem.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kindle 2, sunlight, text fading.