Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
chris77586
Patent Pending
chris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughing

Device: prs 350
prs350 stylus dimmensions?

Like many of you, my flimsy stylus has broke, (mine was actually eaten by my dog). Since there is no direct replacement, i figured i could put my skills to use and build my own on a cad program and model it with a plastic form machine. in order to do this, i need the dimmensions of the stylus itself. Specifically i need the legth of the tip, the shaft, and the plastic end peice, as well as overall legth. i dont need the diameter. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Hey if this works well, i could even sell them for a few dollars and a some money

Last edited by chris77586; 05-05-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Apparently, the stylus is flimsy, but tasty!

Unfortunately, I broke mine and tossed it. However, if you build it, I'd be willing to buy it! That gap in the case is driving me crazy!
Old 05-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I have 8 Border Collies, so I can identify. Hope he doesn't get perforated bowel if he swallowed it.

The tip is one fraction (1/16"?) longer than half inch; shaft is 3 1/8"; top is 7/16"; total length is 4 1/16" or 4 1/8" on the slanted side. Both plastic ends unscrew from the shaft, but cannot be used as reset buttons on either end. Seems like it would be easier to call Sony for a replacement and then copy it, or maybe someone on this site could sell you one from their broken reader.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Snarfblat
Snarfblat doesn't litterSnarfblat doesn't litter

Device: JBL, 350, 650
Sony Stylus Pictures

I don't have the best camera setup, but hopefully these will help. The white stylus is from a silver PRS-350, the black stylus is from a PRS-650.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	350.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	71027   Click image for larger version

Name:	350.top.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	71028   Click image for larger version

Name:	650.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	71029   Click image for larger version

Name:	650.top.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	71030  
Old 05-07-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
chris77586
Patent Pending
chris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughingchris77586 can shake the floor when laughing

thanks for the info guys, I'll post up once I have some progress

EDIT- Aight, here is what i cameup with
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...586/stylus.jpg

once i get the first one made, ill post up photo

Last edited by chris77586; 05-07-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I have 8 Border Collies, so I can identify. Hope he doesn't get perforated bowel if he swallowed it.

The tip is one fraction (1/16"?) longer than half inch; shaft is 3 1/8"; top is 7/16"; total length is 4 1/16" or 4 1/8" on the slanted side. Both plastic ends unscrew from the shaft, but cannot be used as reset buttons on either end. Seems like it would be easier to call Sony for a replacement and then copy it, or maybe someone on this site could sell you one from their broken reader.
The problem is, if you go to the Sony USA site, they don't SELL replacements!
Old 05-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris77586 View Post
thanks for the info guys, I'll post up once I have some progress

EDIT- Aight, here is what i cameup with
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...586/stylus.jpg

once i get the first one made, ill post up photo
That actually looks pretty nice, and might be sturdier than Sony's if it's really one piece as it appears, and not the flimsy cap screwed onto the shaft. I think that's where they break the most... as most people push up, they're also pushing to the side as well, and as it comes out of the channel, the sideways pressure then snaps it. I'm pretty careful about removing mine, and only push up until the cap only is out, then pull it out the rest of the way.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
chris77586
Patent Pending

It will be from one piece, however, i'm not too sure how dense the new plastic will be- ill get a couple made and see how strong they turn out to be. i didn't model any of the curves in the program, as they are too minute for the machine to replicate, I'll probably round the corners myself.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Excellent ! Looks way better than my wooden kebab stick, or plastic knitting needle, which I found worked well and were the right size !

I think there's a bit of a market here, there are always complaints on Forums about these pesky things.

The most inportant bit is the tip - got around by Sony with their white plastic version i.e. it's all tip, as it were.

In UK Sony charge a ludicrous amount, near £30 according to some reports.

Be very interseted in the final version - always handy to have a spare !
Old 05-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
elizilla
Addict
elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elizilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 650, Sony PRS 350
If this works, you could set up your own Amazon store.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Red face

Called........... Style ?

Sorry .

Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If this does not work, just let me know and we will work out something to send you some. They are available over here, but they are pricey due to extraordinary shipping costs.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
If this does not work, just let me know and we will work out something to send you some. They are available over here, but they are pricey due to extraordinary shipping costs.
That's the same hyperfragile stylus! At >11 euro? I don't think so.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #14
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
To me, the stylus is too light-- it feels like you are playing with a swizzle stick. I'd like a stylus made entirely of steel (not aluminum.)
Old 05-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #15
chris77586
Patent Pending

Alright, i got the parts back. It fits well ( after a little sanding). Altough, the stylus has no heft, and feels very flimsy. Here are a few pictures. The machine works by making several thin layers of plastic stacked on top of eachother... not the best way to make a part. Ideally what i want to do is buy an original from the overseas website, the make a negative casting out of silicone, then make a positive casting out of that from a denser plastic. But that will be the future....

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...6/IMG_1269.jpg
http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/x...6/IMG_1268.jpg
Closed Thread