Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
emindead
emindead began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
This is what I need (student here)

Hello, everyone.

I've been reading some of these threads and there's a lot of great information on what to get. I think the best way to get an answer on detailed needs is by making a new thread. This is what I need

1. I'm a Literature student
2. I'm on a budget
3. I need to read with high and low sunlight (inside and outside the house)
4. Dictionary support will be greatly appreciated
5. Allows me to upload most of the formats (I think I will need Calibre)
6. Good battery life
7. Internet (is that really necessary? I just need to carry on with my work habit... so preferably I don't want distractions)
8. (Easy) Good on the eyes (good e-ink) (I don't know how well formulated is this question)
9. I'll be in the US for the next ten (10) days.
10. Again, I'm on a budget: $150-200 will be my price range for this device.

So, basically: I want to read and upload tons of books on different formats, use the dictionary, read with high and low (sun)light, and that it holds a good battery life, while still ranging from the $150-200 range.

THANK YOU!

Last edited by emindead; 07-19-2010 at 11:25 AM.
emindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Im not sure what country you live in but the Kindle 2 would fit your bill nicely or perhaps the Sony 600 although I am not a big fan of Sony's Touch Layer Technology. If A 5" is Ok the Sony Pocket is a really nice little device
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
emindead, PocketBook 360 might be a good choice based on the requirements you listed.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by emindead View Post
Hello, everyone.

I've been reading some of these threads and there's a lot of great information on what to get. I think the best way to get an answer on detailed needs is by making a new thread. This is what I need

1. I'm a Literature student
2. I'm on a budget
3. I need to read with high and low sunlight (inside and outside the house)
4. Dictionary support will be greatly appreciated
5. Allows me to upload most of the formats (I think I will need Calibre)
6. Good battery life
7. Internet (is that really necessary? I just need to carry on with my work habit... so preferably I don't want distractions)
8. (Easy) Good on the eyes (good e-ink) (I don't know how well formulated is this question)
9. I'll be in the US for the next ten (10) days.
10. Again, I'm on a budget: $150-200 will be my price range for this device.

So, basically: I want to read and upload tons of books on different formats, use the dictionary, read with high and low (sun)light, and that it holds a good battery life, while still ranging from the $150-200 range.

THANK YOU!
Plenty of options in that range.

1- What size range? How much portability do you want? 5in vs 6in
2- How picky are you on typographic controls? Do you want to control font, size margins, with single-point precision or do just a few zoom sizes suffice?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I would say Nook or Kindle 2. Try them both out and see which one you prefer. Nook wifi is the cheapest if 3g isn't important.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I think, as a student, that you might enjoy the mark-up ability of the Sony PRS-600.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
emindead

I live in Colombia, does any of these devices you've recommended work overseas?

And any of these devices pointed can highlight some passages to review later?

Last edited by emindead; 07-20-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Allows me to upload most of the formats (I think I will need Calibre)
Well, the pocketbooks wins there. And for dictionary too, I think.
About format, what really count, is having the right one. Look around for ebook shop in Colombia, or any shop you have access to, and the format they are using. And get a reader that read that format. (Beware, DRM and regional restrictions!)
Sony is the best choice for annotations. (tactile)

Quote:
I think the sony can, and maybe the pocketbook. Not sure, i have neither.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 07-20-2010 at 04:24 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by emindead View Post
The Pocketbook line has a NOTES feature that lets you clip passages into a Notebook file. When you open the notebook file (it is HTML) you can select individual clips and it takes you to the location in the ebook where you clipped it from.

For actual Highlighting within the ebook you'd want a Kindle, Sony PRS-600, or a Nook. All are around US$200.

The Kindle wireless is supposed to work in Colombia, the Nook only in the US, and the Sony has no wireless. People have found the Kindle screen to be a bit better than the Sony screen but you can see for yourself as Best Buy and Barnes&Noble carry the Sony and Nook.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The Pocketbook line has a NOTES feature that lets you clip passages into a Notebook file. When you open the notebook file (it is HTML) you can select individual clips and it takes you to the location in the ebook where you clipped it from.

For actual Highlighting within the ebook you'd want a Kindle, Sony PRS-600, or a Nook. All are around US$200.
Actually, the Sony is now lowered in price and is around $165 - 170.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #11
emindead

Went today to Best Buy and tried the Sony PRS-600. Too bad they were sold out... so I just bought one on Amazon.com

Thank you all!!!