Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Windows Devices

Notices

Old 11-07-2022, 09:21 AM   #1
Goldani
Goldani began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile System requirements for installing Calibre

Good morning, everybody :-).
I am planning to buy a laptop on which to install the latest version of Calibre.
What system requirements does Calibre require to run smoothly?
Thank you
Best regards
Goldani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:24 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldani View Post
I am planning to buy a laptop on which to install the latest version of Calibre.
Thank you
Best regards
If you buy a laptop that comes with Windows 11, you'll be good to go with Calibre 6.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #3
Goldani

System requirements for installing Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you buy a laptop that comes with Windows 11, you'll be good to go with Calibre 6.
Thanks a lot Jon!
Old 11-07-2022, 09:53 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks a lot Jon!
Your welcome. My laptop runs Windows 11 and Calibre 6 is running very well.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:40 AM   #5
Goldani

Smile System requirements for installing Calibre

Quote:
Your welcome. My laptop runs Windows 11 and Calibre 6 is running very well.
Among the many suppliers and models on the market, I have not yet chosen which laptop to buy. I would like to choose a product of good value for money. Does your laptop have these features, Jon? If so can I ask which laptop is it?
Advert
Old 11-08-2022, 03:36 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Among the many suppliers and models on the market, I have not yet chosen which laptop to buy. I would like to choose a product of good value for money.
This depends very much on what your priorities are. Do you need a very good screen, like for watching movies and editing photos, or is this not particularly important? Do you like playing games on your laptop (a good video card would be needed)? Will you be doing something requiring lots of power and memory (a good processor and lots of RAM, in that case)? Do you need your laptop to be lightweight and portable? How much storage space would you need? What is your price range? And so on...

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-08-2022 at 03:42 PM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 04:04 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Among the many suppliers and models on the market, I have not yet chosen which laptop to buy. I would like to choose a product of good value for money. Does your laptop have these features, Jon? If so can I ask which laptop is it?
It's similar to OMEN by HP Laptop 17t-ck100 It has 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. The screen is a 17" screen with a resolution of 2560x1440. This one has a 12th gen i7 processor and mine is an 11th gen i7

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/Config...Id=&quantity=1
Old 11-11-2022, 09:38 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Thank you
Best regards
64 bit CPU, enough RAM for OS to run smoothly, at least 1920x1080 graphics and enough HDD/SSD for the OS, updates etc with about 80% free. A hybrid SSD and HDD pair of discs is best for performance and safety. OSes: Mac, Windows 10 or 11, Linux (but not on ARM unless you want to build packages). Not Chrome OS or RiscOS. Not BSD flavours unless you want to build.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 06:34 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The 512 G Byte NVMe PCIe SSDs seem the best price vs performance. A laptop that can also take a SATA HDD at the same time for user files is best. The SATA SSDs are a lot slower.
Typically 8 G RAM is fine unless you need VMs for other versions of Windows etc, then 16G is OK.
A true 3D non-Intel GPU only needed for gaming.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:05 AM   #10
Goldani

Thumbs up System requirements for installing Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
This depends very much on what your priorities are. Do you need a very good screen, like for watching movies and editing photos, or is this not particularly important? Do you like playing games on your laptop (a good video card would be needed)? Will you be doing something requiring lots of power and memory (a good processor and lots of RAM, in that case)? Do you need your laptop to be lightweight and portable? How much storage space would you need? What is your price range? And so on...
Thank you very much Sirtel, below my answers to your questions:
No, the screen is not particularly important.
No, I'm not interested in playing on the laptop
Yes I want a lightweight laptop because I will have to add it to my business laptop on which I am not allowed to install Calibre.
I have no idea about the storage space I might need. Do you have any suggestions?
As a price range I thought to stay below 1000 € and buy a laptop with good value for money. Do you have purchase suggestions?
Old 11-14-2022, 08:10 AM   #11
Goldani

Thumbs up System requirements for installing Calibre

Quote:
It's similar to OMEN by HP Laptop 17t-ck100 It has 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD. The screen is a 17" screen with a resolution of 2560x1440. This one has a 12th gen i7 processor and mine is an 11th gen i7

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/Config...Id=&quantity=1
Thank you very much Jon, I will look carefully at the specifications you turned me to understand if this can be the right laptop for me too.
Old 11-14-2022, 10:49 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Thank you very much Sirtel, below my answers to your questions:
No, the screen is not particularly important.
No, I'm not interested in playing on the laptop
Yes I want a lightweight laptop because I will have to add it to my business laptop on which I am not allowed to install Calibre.
I have no idea about the storage space I might need. Do you have any suggestions?
As a price range I thought to stay below 1000 € and buy a laptop with good value for money. Do you have purchase suggestions?
It's pretty hard to suggest, unless you happen to live in the same country as I, because both availability and price can be considerably different in different countries. You could google it yourself. There are numerous lists of "best laptops under $1,000" lying around there, reviewed by tech sites.

In Estonia, I might go for Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 Pro, for example, if portability and weight were the most important factors for me. But I have no idea what you have available where you live, and for what price. If you live in the US, you'll have a lot more options than I do in my country. Many laptops under $1,000 in the US are more expensive here.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
system requirements