Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 12-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #1
warlo
warlo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Kepler Pro
Onyx Boox Kepler Pro Recovery?

Hello, im new here as a poster, but i have been helped by posts on this forum trough the years, so first off thanks for all the input.

Right now I own an Onyx Boox Kepler Pro. Recently, Ive been making some bad choices as I changed some settings and fooled around too much without a backup (I did tried for several days, but cant get ADB Devices to recognize the device and show the device in the list, so couldnt do anything at all and quit the idea of having a backup in hopes of being a zip available online anyways)

Right now, my device boots, but once it gets to the home screen, I get a "Unfortuntately, ContentBrowser has stopped"

It doesnt seem like theres anything I can do about it from within. So I want to go straight to reflash it. So the question is, does anybody has a link to a zip file with the android 4.0.4 designed for the Kepler Pro?

I have found in this forum the link to https://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads but cant find a zip file for the Keplr Pro.

thanks!
warlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Email the eReader Store, and ask them for a link. They have it, and may give it to you.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
warlo

ok, so I trid the updates found on this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=282080

and fixed my problem.but now im thinking that maybe those updates where the actual system, as they are about 200mb each... can I get a confirmation on this? thanks!
Old 12-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
warlo

on a similar line, I have been wondering if I can install TWRP into my Kepler. I have it on my phone and it has saved me countless times, plus its a fantastic tool. does anybody has experience with it? I am running into a lot of troubles trying to make a backup of my system so that I can try and tweak settings and come up with interesting mods, but no backup no fun. I mean, I can now just do what I just did, but Ill get back to basics instead to a recent version of my changes.

thanks
Old 12-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #5
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

TWRP is a great tool - but TWRP needs to be customized for the device it will be used on. Someone needs to make a version that is designed for the Kepler Pro. I haven't seen a version of TWRP for the K-Pro in my online travels - or not yet, anyway.

Yes, those updates you found are the entire system. It's an older version of the K-Pro firmware, but it was good enough to get your device working again.
Advert
Old 12-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #6
warlo

btw, I installed the 1.8.0 version and lost the ability to have a third option for the side buttons, which was back and home button (as my kepler doesnt have a back button). been looking for alternative firmwares but no luck. onys site is down... any ideas?
Old 12-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #7
warlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post

Yes, those updates you found are the entire system. It's an older version of the K-Pro firmware, but it was good enough to get your device working again.
yeah, just figured that out now :P
Old 12-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #8
warlo

dang, I also just figured that my wifi is not working...
Old 12-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #9
warlo

Quote:
Email the eReader Store, and ask them for a link. They have it, and may give it to you.
Just did, hopefully they have the version with the home button option and the wifi working deal
Old 12-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #10
downeaster59
Wizard

If they don't, here is a link to the Onyx official (Chinese) site. If you can translate on your browser, you should be able to find the right link to download the most recent firmware (1.8.2):
http://bbs.onyx-international.com.cn...extra=page%3D1

Sometimes, download speeds can be slow on Chinese servers.

Here is a link to the latest version of the Kepler Pro firmware (1.8.2), which uses Android 4.0.4.

Last edited by downeaster59; 12-20-2017 at 12:01 PM. Reason: More info
Old 12-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #11
warlo

Quote:
If they don't, here is a link to the Onyx official (Chinese) site. If you can translate on your browser, you should be able to find the right link to download the most recent firmware (1.8.2):

Here is a link to the latest version of the Kepler Pro firmware (1.8.2), which uses Android 4.0.4.
Thanks!

I got a reply from the website and there are this two download links in case they are useful to anybody else:

Upgrades for KeplerPro

Android 4.0.4 : http://ereader.store/DATA/KeplerPro/...er%204.0.4.zip

Android 4.4.4 : http://ereader.store/DATA/KeplerPro/...er%204.4.4.zip

Ill try the ereader store first one, and see how it goes. thanks!
Old 12-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
warlo

Unfortunately, I tried both, the ereader store and the chinese one and both aborted the instalation because of signature problems... apparently I dont own any of the above versions! bought mine from ebay, im gonna ask the seller where the hell he got mine and ask that store.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #13
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlo View Post
Unfortunately, I tried both, the ereader store and the chinese one and both aborted the instalation because of signature problems... apparently I dont own any of the above versions! bought mine from ebay, im gonna ask the seller where the hell he got mine and ask that store.
eBay, huh? Unfortunately, there are different versions of Kepler devices. For example, Onyx sells a 'stripped-down' version of the Kepler in Russia. If you got a Russian Kepler, then the firmwares in these links will not work.

Yes, you need to find out what kind of Kepler you have and where it came from. Then, you may be able to track down firmware that will work on your device.

P.S.: I was also sent those eReader Store links. I was hoping that their 4.4.4. firmware would work well (even though I know it's beta). Unfortunately, when I tried 4.4.4, neither WiFi nor the frontlight would turn on. YMMV!
Old 12-20-2017, 03:44 PM   #14
warlo

Quote:
eBay, huh? Unfortunately, there are different versions of Kepler devices. For example, Onyx sells a 'stripped-down' version of the Kepler in Russia. If you got a Russian Kepler, then the firmwares in these links will not work.

Yes, you need to find out what kind of Kepler you have and where it came from. Then, you may be able to track down firmware that will work on your device.

P.S.: I was also sent those eReader Store links. I was hoping that their 4.4.4. firmware would work well (even though I know it's beta). Unfortunately, when I tried 4.4.4, neither WiFi nor the frontlight would turn on. YMMV!
yeah, I bought mine from a seller on Ebay, im pretty sure I got the chinese version of some sort, as it came with chinese books and dictionaries.. so I figured your china links would do, but theres the signature problem anyways... its so unfortunate that the wifi doesnt work, because im sure that the OTA would fix that...

lets see what my ebay vendor has to say
Old 12-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #15
warlo

Quote:

ohh, I justrealized that your link at the bottom is the ereader store link. the link in the chinese forum is unavailable Ill navigate a bit more and see if I can find another link.