Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #91
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Thanks, trocchietto. I've had wireless and cell data off, and it still seems disappointing battery life. GSam records that Android System and Kernel (Android OS) is using about half of my battery, the next highest is Screen with 13%, then YotaNotes with 4.5%, so it's not apps running in the background. I'll keep monitoring and trying things.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #92
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
GPS turn it off, and also please pay attention to all the google inbuilted services, they consume a lot. with a widget you can switch on really fast the gps before to use google maps. Last thing to consider operative version, there are android versions that consume more, and other that consume less.

Usually Android system should be lower than 31% afaik
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #93
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hey I have an idea to me is 14% now, the reason I AM GUESSING, is that I use nova launcher.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #94
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I'll try Nova. I also should truly monitor my battery use, by using the phone the same as another one I have and comparing their battery drain. So far it just "feels like" the battery drains too quickly given my very light use of the phone. Thanks again for your advice.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:44 AM   #95
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Have you turned on "App optimisation"? This is under Settings - YotaEnergy. Once you turn it on, you can toggle which apps you want to optimise, which will prevent them from running in the background (if I understand correctly), thereby reducing battery consumption. Seems to work well for me.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #96
jj2me
Guru

I see nothing like that on my YotaEnergy screens. My phone is 5.0, model YD201, and below are screenshots of YotaEnergy On and Off, and the Settings and rules screen.

But I think I've cried wolf, because when methodically comparing it to my regular phone, my Yotaphone seems to be using a normal amount of battery.

My 8-month old Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus seems comparable, even though it has a 3Ah battery, because it has more pixels and almost 300 more apps, with more of those apps running. I set both up with wi-fi, GPS, and bluetooth turned off, only cellular data running, and checked in every hour for five hours. At the end of this ad hoc test, these were the results

Stat Samsung Yotaphone
Batt 84% 92%
Screen 25% 10%
Phone Radio 24% 0% (different cell providers)
Android 18.2% 29.7%
Kernel 8.4% 26.3%
E-mail 5.1% 0.4%
Google Svcs. 0.7% 3.5%
Held Awake 2% (00:41:04) 8% (04:39:06)

Sorry about that. I had been using it so little, with so few apps, often with cellular data off, that I was surprised at the speed it *seemed* to run down to 70%. I'll pursue the "Held Awake" numbers by installing the non-root version of Wakelock detector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YotaEnergyOff.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	154181   Click image for larger version

Name:	YotaEnergyOn.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	154182   Click image for larger version

Name:	YotaEnergySettingsAndRules.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	154183  

Last edited by jj2me; 01-14-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #97
trocchietto
Addict

so it looks solved.
there are some rumors about spywares that are into the phone, but I do not know nor I have important data on the phone. People would discover if were true, android is easy to monitor as system.

All in all I really hope to have a tablet lcd/eink soon, and phablets with the some technology, Licenses or not, there is some possibility to gain margin and make the double screen largely adopted, and is definetely a breaktrough technology for ereaders, making even the most expensive eink reader obsolete in terms of responsivness. It will depend if samsung is going to launch the new foldable techonology this year, although I am afraid will be not solar reflections proof.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:49 PM   #98
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
hey people, I'm back with my second Yota YD201 and it is much better now with regards to battery than it used to be. I'm running Android 5.0.0 build 124 EU and if you haven't upgraded you should to the latest Lollipop! XDA is probably the best place to go for instructions. Yota have obviously been working on reducing all the apps sucking life out of the phone, it is vastly better than the first editions of Lollipop. One extra with Lollipop is there is a new 'ultra battery' mode which only uses the EPD and makes the phone ultra simple: only SMS and calls! If you bought the phone for days of battery life this is probably the mode you need!

The basic problem with this phone is that it has a normal screen and quite a small battery (physically) I think 2500mah from memory. You also get the processor cooking the battery which will shorten it's life. I had forgotten though what a great looking phone this is. And it is stuffed with features. I mean who wants or needs a step counter built in but it has one! You can use Android pay with NFC if you want, and it seems to work flawlessly. In the older builds the built in dictionary app was so busy communicating with god knows who ... that the battery would fall off a cliff virtually (why a dictionary needs all your contacts is a bit of a mystery to me...). The same vulnerabilities are still there but at least it isn't so blatant as before :-)

Now, the weaknesses are the crappy sound quality/low volume through the headphones. I strongly suggest picking up a set of bluetooth headphones. Motorola s-9hd work a treat for me, but that kind of thing is intensely personal. If you do that, then sound is fine as you'd expect. The GPS on my phone is dire as well, you can pair an external BT GPS as well, or if I use a signal booster it works just fine (the booster is not so portable though, good for automobile use). Sygic have a dashcam feature on their satnav and this does actually work with this phone so it will film your trip while giving you directions - and Sygic works with BT GPS which Google maps doesn't!

Generally though, much improved with the latest software. It is maybe a bit more buggy than most, but I'm running the Nova desktop on it, and it is all good. When people see the phone they generally say how beautiful it is... and that's something when so many phones look identical. As an e-reader? Maybe not, I'm still working on that!
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #99
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post
In the older builds the built in dictionary app was so busy communicating with god knows who ... that the battery would fall off a cliff virtually (why a dictionary needs all your contacts is a bit of a mystery to me...).

!
you right, did you update to which version of lollipop exactly?
I do not like too much spy on my phone as well, but tell me did you need to root the phone? is something I do not want to take risk on that, the phone could brick

I am just waiting will come a bigger eink phone in the market but in the meantime would be useful. How come nobody hacked the dictionary APK to find which data are sent? Looks trivial for people that do it often.
as ereader works perfect. From nova luncher set a widget for the folder books with your favorite explorer. Organize your books in collections es i have psychology esoterism, finance etc, then inside finance i have finance 1, finance2 and so on.
you open the folder and launch the pdfs with repligo reader if you like to highlight pdf in reflow mode( the app does not exist anymore, you have to find your way, and then open the ebooks with your favorite epub reader, for instance a moon+reader pro or mantano are ages beyond whatever present ereader, and enlarging the text make them perfect for the small screen, but you won't repent because you will hve the erader always with you as a second skin. One note do not change epubs locations anymore if you want to maintain the features, last page etc if you use moon+reader, for Mantano or others I do not know, but also Mantano is pretty cool. Pity both of them do not sustain highlights in reflow mode

Last edited by trocchietto; 01-21-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:58 PM   #100
jj2me
Guru

Thanks trocchietto and Jmirko for the battery help. Just reporting further my Wakelock Detector Lite results, which turned up something that might have affected battery life.

I have a Sony file manager app installed (because it's the best for working with a Sony micro-USB drive I occasionally use). Over a period of about 30% battery use, it had almost 30,000 wake-up triggers (the next nearest, Google Services, had 356). It was due to an app setting to have the app "automatically started when Sony SA series USB flash drive is inserted." I turned off that setting, and hopefully will see improved battery life.

Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #101
jj2me
Guru

OK, reporting back, battery life DID improve after turning off the Sony app's wake-up triggers.

Original test: 5 hours, only checking GSAM every hour, resulted in 92% remaining battery.
Non-controlled use: 6 hours, normal use of both screens, resulted in 93% remaining battery.

Other interesting results from my GSAM output right now: the following apps don't use much battery. Note that the following percentages and those omitted add up to 100%, i.e., they represent percentage of all used battery:
- Wakelock Detector Lite: 0.3%
- ES File Explorer: 1.0% (thought this newly bloated app would be using more)
- GSAM Battery Monitor: 1.1% (and that's with opening it several times).

The big battery consumers (~70%) for me right now are:
Screen: 37%
Android System: 17.8%
Kernel (Android OS): 11.8%
Google Services: 3.9%

I'm quite please with the better battery life. Thanks for the posts that pushed me to investigate further.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #102
trocchietto
Addict

thanks to you to share your findings.
It looks as samsung is listening ur bookwormers needs http://www.ubergizmo.com/2017/01/sam...e-ink-display/
Old 01-26-2017, 08:06 AM   #103
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
these are exploding news
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #104
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
thanks to you to share your findings.
It looks as samsung is listening ur bookwormers needs http://www.ubergizmo.com/2017/01/sam...e-ink-display/

holy cow, I'd be all over that like a fat guy on skittles if it comes to fruition
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:11 AM   #105
trocchietto
Addict

still to see guyz. possibily will be less evoluted than yp2, with no mirror functionality. this means that you cannot use moon+reader, mantano, or your favorite ereader. only static pages with possibly an inbuilted samsung ereader. We do not know, but please let's no give for sure will be possible with a simple eink coverage to exploit the mirror functionality!
And also not sure that he image under the rows can be touchable to be swyped, but for sure could be an important step. Just pity that an inbuilt eink lcd without any cover is already possible

Last edited by trocchietto; 01-29-2017 at 11:14 AM.