Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Novels Similar to The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo is my favourite novel of all time and ever since I’ve read it nine months ago I’ve been really wanting to find and read books that are similar to it. Basically, I’m looking for a novel that has a compelling storyline, lots of twists, adventure, tragedy, thriller. I’ve searched and these novels came up:

Les Misérables Victor Hugo

The Three Musketeers Alexandre Dumas

Scaramouche Rafael Sabatini

But I don’t know if the above novels are any good or not, or if they’re even like The Count of Monte Cristo. Any ideas?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
The Three Musketeers is very good however be prepared for a time investment if you enjoy it; Dumas' complete ''d'Artagnan Romances'' is about 4500 pages worth of material. The 3M can be read, and stand, on its own however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D'Artagnan_Romances
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
The Count of Monte Cristo is my favourite novel of all time and ever since I’ve read it nine months ago I’ve been really wanting to find and read books that are similar to it. Basically, I’m looking for a novel that has a compelling storyline, lots of twists, adventure, tragedy, thriller. I’ve searched and these novels came up:

Les Misérables Victor Hugo
The Three Musketeers Alexandre Dumas
Scaramouche Rafael Sabatini

But I don’t know if the above novels are any good or not, or if they’re even like The Count of Monte Cristo. Any ideas?
Out of the three quoted above, I have only read the Three Musketeers, which I can strongly recommend, compared to TCoMC it is less bleak.

Another modern recommendation would be Dorothy Dunnet's Lymond Chronicles, starting with The Game of Kings.

Last edited by ametzler; 03-03-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: grammar fix
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
I finished The Count of Monte Cristo about a month ago and enjoyed it. My favorite book of all is Les Miserables. It will give you all those things you are looking for. There are three spots were it dragged a bit for me but it was well worth it to slog through. Of course everyone;s tastes are different but I think would enjoy Les Miserables. I have not read the other two on your list.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #5
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
The Three Musketeers is very good however be prepared for a time investment if you enjoy it; Dumas' complete ''d'Artagnan Romances'' is about 4500 pages worth of material. The 3M can be read, and stand, on its own however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D'Artagnan_Romances

Quote:
Originally Posted by ametzler View Post
Out of the three quoted above, I have only read the Three Musketeers, which I can strongly recommend, compared to TCoMC is less bleak.

Another modern recommendation would be Dorothy Dunnet's Lymond Chronicles, starting with The Game of Kings.

Yes, I'm well aware that the books are very long. If I read it, I'll just read The Three Musketeers.

I haven't heard of the author Dorothy Dunnet before. I'll have to check the series out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
I finished The Count of Monte Cristo about a month ago and enjoyed it. My favorite book of all is Les Miserables. It will give you all those things you are looking for. There are three spots were it dragged a bit for me but it was well worth it to slog through. Of course everyone;s tastes are different but I think would enjoy Les Miserables. I have not read the other two on your list.

I think I'll read Les Misérables. I've read what it's about and it sounds really good. Plus, you've read The Count of Monte Cristo and have enjoyed it so I think I will as well. Thanks!
Advert
Old 03-02-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
If you're interested in contemporary fantasy, Steven Brust has done some really great pastiches on _The Three Musketeers_ --- the ``Khaavren Romances'' or ``Paarfi stories'':

- The Phoenix Guards
- Five Hundred Years After

and The Viscount of Adrilankha published as three books:

- The Paths of the Dead
- The Lord of Castle Black
- Sethra Lavode

I just wish the main series which they were draw from was still being printed in mass-market / small paperback size.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
If you like The Three Musketeers I would recommend Arturo Pérez-Reverte's Captain Alatriste books. They recount the adventures of a Spanish swordsman living in the 17th century in the service of King Philip IV, during the Eighty Years War. It even has some of the same historical characters like the Duke of Buckingham. It's Spanish rather than French swashbuckling.

There are six or seven books in the series.
http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Alatri...3797964&sr=1-6
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I think I'll read Les Misérables. I've read what it's about and it sounds really good.
Like Moby Dick, it does contain a lot of junk only very tenuously related to the narrative. If you're wanting to read it for the story then an abridged version is well worth considering.

There are so many stories with similarities to The Count of Monte Christo that it's difficult to know where to start. If the main thing you're after is a novel with lots of different feelings in it then I'd recommend:

1. Any of Peter F. Hamilton's longer stories. Although they're sold in two or three books they're actually single novels:
Night's Dawn (The Reality Dysfunction, Neutronium Alchemist, Naked God)
The Commonweath Saga (Pandora's Star & Judas unchained)
There's also the Void Triology (again, one novel) but it features many of the characters from the commonwealth saga, so probably better to read it afterwards.

Personally I preferred Night's Dawn, but The Commonwealth saga is slightly more grown up.

2. The Man who was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton. Admittedly it's one of those books best read aloud with all the appropriate funny voices (The BBC did an excellent reading by Geoffrey Palmer that occasionally gets rebroadcast on fourextra) but in a lot of ways it's similar to The Count of Monte Cristo.

3. Perdido Street Station or The Scar by China Mieville.
Not much in the way of actual plot twists admittedly, but there probably wasn't room in between all of the new ideas and the plots are otherwise full of menace and mystery.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
Like Moby Dick, it does contain a lot of junk only very tenuously related to the narrative. If you're wanting to read it for the story then an abridged version is well worth considering.
Reading it just for the narrative kind of misses the point.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini is a good read if you want something with sort of a period feel and which has some adventure.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #11
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
The Three Musketeers, the best Dumas novel ever!
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #12
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I agree and I did enjoy The Khaavren Romances too. Brust even wrote them in a similar style.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:24 AM   #13
Gazella
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I agree and I did enjoy The Khaavren Romances too. Brust even wrote them in a similar style.

Apache

Wow. Really?? Even better than TCoMC?? Now this made me want to read it. I'll put it on my list. Which translation do you recommend?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:25 AM   #14
Gazella
Wizard

For those who read Les Miserables. Which translation is the best?
Old 03-03-2014, 04:32 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Bear in mind that with all these you're not reading what the author wrote, but someone's reinterpretation of it, and that can be considerably different to the original. The most commonly-found translation of "The Count of Monte Cristo", for example, is the 1846 translation commissioned by the original English publishers of the novel, Chapman and Hall. Unfortunately, this was heavily edited for the rather rigid Victorian moral climate of the time, and, if you read it, you're really not reading what Dumas wrote at all.

The 1996 translation by Robin Buss, published by Penguin Classics, is faithful to the original, and is the edition of choice if you want to read Dumas' original story.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote