Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
Is there any way to buy an international kindle book?

Is there any way to buy an international kindle book to read on a US Kindle? The book I want is available on Amazon UK, but not US. I apologize if this kind of discussion is against any rules.

Thanks,

JD
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
I've found one of those too... bought the paperback for my daughter, but I'd prefer the ebook because it's such a thick book.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I live in EU and a week ago I wanted to buy a kindle edition that was only available in US. I googled for "Boulder Colorado" and went to the fist site on the list (city office) and got their street address and postal code. Then i added that address to my Amazon account as my delivery address in US. Then i chose that address as the default one. Then i could purchase that ebook! In my excitement i went on a US-only ebooks shopping spree. On book number 8 Amazon Artificial Intelligence caught up with my scheme. Still i was never told to return the other 7. What's done is done.
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
JD78
Connoisseur
JD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notesJD78 can name that song in three notes

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starko View Post
I live in EU and a week ago I wanted to buy a kindle edition that was only available in US. I googled for "Boulder Colorado" and went to the fist site on the list (city office) and got their street address and postal code. Then i added that address to my Amazon account as my delivery address in US. Then i chose that address as the default one. Then i could purchase that ebook! In my excitement i went on a US-only ebooks shopping spree. On book number 8 Amazon Artificial Intelligence caught up with my scheme. Still i was never told to return the other 7. What's done is done.
Thanks! this worked perfectly!
JD78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
I wonder if 221B BAKER STREET LONDON would work for me to by UK books?

A Brilliant solution!!!!!!!
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Don't know. Rumor has it there are a couple thousand kindles registered to Micky Mouse's house down in Orlando.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
President Obama has a lot of company camping out at the White House.

I would avoid the obvious addresses just to be safe.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #8
danan
danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'danan understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starko View Post
That's something I might have to try if I ever find myself in this situation...! I had a good laugh when I read this.
danan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #9
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Suppose you have a Kindle and buy a whole lot of books legitimately in the UK. You then move to the USA. Will Amazon let you keep your UK books and buy different ones from the US site?
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
Elflaede
Elflaede began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Suppose you have a Kindle and buy a whole lot of books legitimately in the UK. You then move to the USA. Will Amazon let you keep your UK books and buy different ones from the US site?
I think if you're registered on the UK site, they'll want you to switch your kindle account over to US but you get to keep all your books.
Elflaede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
You can keep the account as well. You might not be able to buy books from that account while in the US but the account will still exist.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Yes. You always keep the books you buy. Period.

Well at least so far.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #13
Starko
Zealot
Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Starko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When sales of some item on Amazon is limited to some country, it's your right to buy that item when you are in that country. Regardless of your permanent residency. For example it's your right to buy a Kindle and let them deliver it to your hotel when you are in US for even 1 day. The same goes for kindle editions. When you are in US you are allowed to buy US-only kindle editions. That means you would provide your hotels address and then you'd get access to kindle editions. If you go overboard like i did, Amazon's Digital Guard will detect this and will let you know that it's confused. You will be presented with a link to a page where you can try and prove that what you are doing is completely OK.
You can send them copies of documents confirming that you are in fact in the country you claim to be in. Like visa page of your passport, whatever...
When i was "caught" i just ignored that invitation. Later i got an email from Amazon with the same invitation. I ignored that one as well...
But i bet my record is permanently stained... I hope they won't arrest me when i one day arrive to US!
Starko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #14
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I have been doing this for well over a year now and no email from Amazon. I have actually been in the USA, but mostly in Australia. My USA address is a real shipping account though, and I use that whenever I buy physical goods from Amazon, like kindles etc. I have been on a spending spree with Amazon; parity of the Australian dollar plus the WAY better prices in the USA are just too good to ignore.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #15
lenuam
lenuam began at the beginning.

Hello everyone,

there's a book I'd really like to get, but I live in Germany and the book's only available in the US Store.

What would you suggest to do? Is it in any sense illegal to add an address located in the US? What kind of consequences may I have to cope with?

Thanks!
lenuam is offline   Reply With Quote