Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
jasius
Connoisseur
jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Only opens EPUBS when plugged in charging

I have a really weird issue with my GLO HD, the issue has lived through a full factory reset too, I've had my Glo HD since launch, I've never had so many issues with a Kobo product before(battery life total trash), I have a sleep cover with the device also.

There are EPUBS when opened shut off the backlight and crash the device.
Today I was charging the device(hardly used it since last charge) and I decided to try and open an Epub that locked it up solid before, and to my surprise it opened just fine, so I tried the same Epub again unplugged, and it locked up solid. I've done a factory reset already on this issue, and the issue came back.

It seems like it's not getting enough power to load the EPUBs.

If I remove the cover of the Epub it'll usually load ok, but some of the books aren't loading even though they have VERY simple cover art. Is there an option in Calibre I can use that will always remove the cover art? What are the best options in Calibre for the Kobo Glo HD?

I have the latest firmware, I guess I'll have to throw this in the garbage, which sucks it was a gift, but it's probably out of warranty now.

The device is always in it's sleep cover, I have the official Kobo one.

Last edited by jasius; 10-15-2018 at 01:34 PM.
jasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I had the same exact issue with my Glo HD: I would open books and the reader would turn off on the first page/cover, except when connected to a power outlet.
Issue: dying battery. Bought a new one on Amazon for 10 euros, changed it myself (very easy process, took like 5 minutes) and now it's like new. If you search the forum there's a recent thread with a user doing a teardown and explaining the process.
The battery life in normal conditions is excellent, actually, so yours must have been failing for quite some time and is now probably at the very end of its life.

Last edited by mathil; 10-15-2018 at 01:56 PM.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
jasius
Connoisseur
jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I had the same exact issue with my Glo HD: I would open books and the reader would turn off on the first page/cover, except when connected to a power outlet.
Issue: dying battery. Bought a new one on Amazon for 10 euros, changed it myself (very easy process, took like 5 minutes) and now it's like new. If you search the forum there's a recent thread with a user doing a teardown and explaining the process.
The battery life in normal conditions is excellent, actually, so yours must have been failing for quite some time and is now probably at the very end of its life.
Can you give me the exact battery number/name please? Maybe that amazon link?

Does the ereader fit back together once pried apart?

Also any ideas on good Calibre settings?

Edit is PR-285083 the part number for the battery? Also compatible with B&N glo?

It's really hard to find a reasonable price for that battery in Canada it's roughly $30 at the cheapest shipped.

Last edited by jasius; 10-15-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasius View Post
Can you give me the exact battery number/name please? Maybe that amazon link?

Does the ereader fit back together once pried apart?

Also any ideas on good Calibre settings?

Edit is PR-285083 the part number for the battery? Also compatible with B&N glo?

It's really hard to find a reasonable price for that battery in Canada it's roughly $30 at the cheapest shipped.
Sorry, I bought it from Amazon.it and it came from another EU country, I don't think that link would be much use for you. But yes, as far as I'm aware there's only one aftermarket battery being produced: it's made by CameronSino and it supports both the Glo HD and the Nook Glowlight Plus 2015: here it is on Amazon.com. I remember seeing it also on eBay and on Aliexpress, you might have more luck at a reasonable price there.
Here is the tear-down and battery replacement thread.
The back of the Glo HD is simply snapped in. What you'll need to do to pry it open is use your fingers/a guitar pick/a plastic card, get it under there and move it around the device until the back cover snaps off. It will go right back in as it was, after. The battery is glued in but again, sharp object underneath to pry it off delicately, and then you can put the new one in and attach it with some doublesided tape. The connector needs to be inserted from above. It's really easy.

Edit: on ebay here, for example. I imagine it's going to be a bit more expensive in CAN$...

Last edited by mathil; 10-15-2018 at 06:17 PM.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:47 AM   #5
jasius
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
Sorry, I bought it from Amazon.it and it came from another EU country, I don't think that link would be much use for you. But yes, as far as I'm aware there's only one aftermarket battery being produced: it's made by CameronSino and it supports both the Glo HD and the Nook Glowlight Plus 2015: here it is on Amazon.com. I remember seeing it also on eBay and on Aliexpress, you might have more luck at a reasonable price there.
Here is the tear-down and battery replacement thread.
The back of the Glo HD is simply snapped in. What you'll need to do to pry it open is use your fingers/a guitar pick/a plastic card, get it under there and move it around the device until the back cover snaps off. It will go right back in as it was, after. The battery is glued in but again, sharp object underneath to pry it off delicately, and then you can put the new one in and attach it with some doublesided tape. The connector needs to be inserted from above. It's really easy.

Edit: on ebay here, for example. I imagine it's going to be a bit more expensive in CAN$...
Thank you, one issue I encountered with sellers is they can't ship to P.O Box #s but thats all that I have.