Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-18-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
What Drains Battery?

I was just about to throw away my T1 because it would lose all power, recently in just overnight. I had already given up on it and was looking for a replacement. Then, I saw a post here that talked about deleting books from the reader. So I deleted all books, not a problem since I use Calibre to manage the books. Now, the reader has sat for 2 days without a problem.

What is it in those books that could have caused a constant battery drain when the reader is in sleep mode?

I also have a 650 that I migrated from a few years back to the T1 partially because of power issue. Could it also suffer from the same problem -- a book causing the drain?

I was about ready to transition to a Kobo, but now I may be able to get a little more life out of my Sony.
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I don't know what it is about a book that causes the problem, but it happened to me once on my T1. The battery suddenly started draining like crazy and the reader wasn't even very old at the time. After I finished reading and deleted the book I had most recently added, the battery usage went back to normal.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2017, 08:10 PM   #3
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Yep, sometimes you get a book on there that makes the Sony do strange things. Delete the book and it goes back to normal.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:57 AM   #4
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
I would occasionally do a full shut down. Even in standby mode something might be running and draining the battery.
A weird book (among other things) may prevent proper standby.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
So, today (day 3 on one charge), the reader suddenly shut down. This is 2 days longer than what I had been getting, but not long enough. I guess I will stilll have to pursue a new purchase. Still thinking kobo-aura-h2o-edition-2 but waiting for a cyber monday ( or somesuch) discount.

Has anyone had the battery replaced? Is it worth the money to do so?
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
As rechargeable batteries age they lose capacity and develop greater leakage typically, so self discharge quicker. Eventually they develop a short or a open in the cell, killing it.

Last edited by Richwood; 02-15-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmadilloPilot View Post
So, today (day 3 on one charge), the reader suddenly shut down. This is 2 days longer than what I had been getting, but not long enough. I guess I will stilll have to pursue a new purchase. Still thinking kobo-aura-h2o-edition-2 but waiting for a cyber monday ( or somesuch) discount.

Has anyone had the battery replaced? Is it worth the money to do so?
I moved from a T1 to the original H2O and I don't regret it at all. It's a very worthwhile upgrade.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #8
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
@JSWolf so happy for you. But a new reader is more expensive than a new battery.

@ArmadilloPilot yes a bad book could be causing it. You can check the book files with Calibre. But basically some errors in the book code/formatting can cause the reader to go into overtime trying to make sense of things, stopped only by running out of power.

T1 Service Manual attached, use if you decide to replace the battery. Getting into the T1 without damaging it is trickier than the older units, you should use a soft plastic "spudger" (see ebay) or better buy a battery kit that includes the tool.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sony PRS-T1 Service Manual - Sony Corporation.pdf (1.46 MB, 481 views)

Last edited by gingerbeardman; 01-02-2018 at 08:27 PM.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So do you know where to buy a T1 battery and how to fit it?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just a quick search ...

New battery ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/700mah-batt...wAAOSwbYZXXmAl

How to Replace it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQovQSrbpPo

There may be better sources for both. These are just the first two links that came up for each subject.

EDIT: Found a cheaper price for the same battery, so inserted that link instead of the first one.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-03-2018 at 03:07 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:13 PM   #11
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
eBay for battery, service manual and youtube for fitting. I've done my PRS-650 and will do my T2 soon.
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
A user.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:36 PM   #13
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Good quality Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries condition is hard to judge at times. I have several older Sony ebook readers that as bought appeared to have very poor condition batteries. As received they were self discharging in 48 hours or so. After multiple charge and discharge cycles they are much improved. Four are still showing full charge (4 bars) after 3.5 days from last charge. Before deciding that a lithium ion battery is hopeless try charging and discharging it at least a dozen times or so until it's capacity and self discharge stabilizes. You might be pleasantly surprised.

This primarily applies to used purchased readers. If one that you have been using regularly then a dying battery should be obvious unless you left it unused for a fairly long period.

Last edited by Richwood; 02-15-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #14
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
A user.

If he reads
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote