Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-12-2018, 05:55 AM   #376
avantikatuli
avantikatuli began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Smile HOW to convert an Amazon KFX BOOK and convert it to PDF with calibre

hi,im new to this forum !! i have no idea of kfx or computers as such.

i have downloaded an E-book "the devils double" and want to convert it to PDF to print ad read.I tried with CALIBRE but i recieved a mesage that it is a Amazon KFX book.

how do i convert it?
should i use some other software like EPUB CONVERTOR?

REALLY LOST,NEED HELP!!!!
avantikatuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:03 AM   #377
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantikatuli View Post

hi,im new to this forum !! i have no idea of kfx or computers as such.

i have downloaded an E-book "the devils double" and want to convert it to PDF to print ad read.I tried with CALIBRE but i recieved a mesage that it is a Amazon KFX book.

how do i convert it?
should i use some other software like EPUB CONVERTOR?

REALLY LOST,NEED HELP!!!!
Follow the instructions in the first post in this thread to get the book in KF8 format rather than KFX. You'll then be able to convert it to PDF.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2018, 05:21 AM   #378
Ah234
Ah234 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
@HarryT

I can see no instructions in the first post in this thread on how to get the book into KF8 format
Ah234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:33 AM   #379
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah234 View Post
@HarryT

I can see no instructions in the first post in this thread on how to get the book into KF8 format
The first post in the thread contains instructions on how to prevent K4PC from downloading books in KFX format. If KFX support is disabled, you'll get the book in KF8 format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #380
jgt1942
Connoisseur
jgt1942 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Minor glitch on my end. The instructions are GREAT!!
When I installed Kindle 1.19 on my Win10 x64 system, opened Kindle, checked the Help > About Kindle it still showed that I had v1.21 installed.

Using Revo Uninstaller I uninstalled Kindle and then reinstalled using the 1.19 version. This time when I went to Help > About Kindle it showed v1.19.

The next glitch was removing the check for the auto update. After checking the version of Kindle and confirming I had 1.19 installed I removed the check for the auto update and Save it. I had to register and I started to check what I had in the library at Amazon and found that I had 1362 books. As a test, I just selected one book and started to Deliver it but decided to again check the auto update checkbox and was surprised to see it was checked again. I removed the check and performed another Save. I found it necessary to do this at least two more times. I'm confident that I really did save the removal of the check mark and have checked it several times since then and it has remained unchecked.

I went to Amazon to download my book, I selected one that I had purchased earlier today and clicked on the Deliver option. Watching the folder in Xplorer2 (my file manager application) I saw the book appear as B003Y74H1E_EBOK.azw opened the book in Kindle and confirmed it was the book I purchased, then click-n-drag to Calibre, saw the book appear in Calibre and then confirmed I could open the book.

While managing my content I looked at my Devices and noticed I had several but not wanting to clean this up I just left it for now. In the Kindle app I noticed that it show the device as "jgt's Kindle for PC 5", in the manage devices window I made "jgt's Kindle for PC 5" my default.

Back in the Manage Content window I selected ALL and clicked the Deliver button but the books were NOT downloaded. I went back to the Kindle PC window, in the nav pane I clicked on the circle with two arrows, 200 of the 1362 books were downloaded and the two-arrow circle had stopped spinning. It seemed that I could NOT download all of the books.

It seems that in the Manage Content browser window when I selected ALL only the 200 books being displayed were selected. I had to click on the "Show More" (near the bottom of the displayed books), wait until 200 books were displayed (there is a status line stating something like "Showing 401-600 of 1362 items in Books--All"). Now if I selected ALL and clicked on the DELIVER button I could see the books being downloaded in the Kindle app window. Thus it appears that I will have to repeat this a few times until all books are downloaded.

At this point, I should have downloaded 600 of the 1362 books but the Kindle app showed that I had only downloaded 530. I discovered that if I scrolled all the way down to the bottom, right-clicked on the last book and selected DOWNLOAD it would be downloaded. I had to this one-at-a-time for all of the books not downloaded. If I did not scroll all the way to the bottom the Kindle app window would sometimes refresh and I would not see the books that had NOT been downloaded. If the book is downloaded there will be a checkmark in the bottom left corner.

As I near the end it seems that the books are automatically being delivered. I don't know what is going on.

I see numerous books in the manage content window that show "Update Available". I'm not sure what to do with these or how I can easily download all of the books that have been updated or if they have already been downloaded.

At this time all of the books have downloaded. I will add more later.
jgt1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #381
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgt1942 View Post
The next glitch was removing the check for the auto update.
Others have reported difficulty in getting the option to stick. I don't know why.

Quote:
Back in the Manage Content window I selected ALL and clicked the Deliver button but the books were NOT downloaded.
Not long ago you could only send ten books at a time. The current situation is a big improvement over that!

Quote:
I discovered that if I scrolled all the way down to the bottom, right-clicked on the last book and selected DOWNLOAD it would be downloaded. I had to this one-at-a-time for all of the books not downloaded.
The delivery process sometimes fails, especially if you queue a large number of books at once. When that happens you have to manually retry the unchecked books, as you found.

Quote:
I see numerous books in the manage content window that show "Update Available". I'm not sure what to do with these or how I can easily download all of the books that have been updated or if they have already been downloaded.
Those are books that have been updated by the publisher, with an update deemed important enough to push to prior purchasers. (Minor updates are not usually made available to those who previously purchased a book.)

You can press the "Update Available" button for each book to update them one-by-one or you can turn on "Automatic Book Updates" in the settings tab. That will make less work for you, but you will not know when updates have occurred. (You may want to be aware of future updates if you backup your purchases, for example.)

Last edited by jhowell; 03-21-2018 at 12:14 PM.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #382
jgt1942
Connoisseur
jgt1942 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
You can press the "Update Available" button for each book to update them one-by-one or you can turn on "Automatic Book Updates" in the settings tab. That will make less work for you, but you will not know when updates have occurred. (You may want to be aware of future updates if you backup your purchases, for example.)
Ah now I see the setting, by default it is turned on. For now this is OK but I'd like to know when a book is updated.

Much thanks for the quick feedback.
jgt1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #383
Mousebumples
Mousebumples began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S9+ with Android
Just wanted to give a hearty THANK YOU to everyone for the help and walk-throughs and plug-ins posted and linked to in this thread. I decided to consolidate my reading libraries wholly in Calibre (rather than running both Calibre and Kindle), and I was frustrated until finding this thread.

Thanks again!
Mousebumples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:55 PM   #384
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Others have reported difficulty in getting the option to stick. I don't know why.
I had the same problem. When I downloaded the Japanese manga and closed Kindle for Mac, it updated even though I had checked it not to update. Thought I had done something wrong. Luckily I have another copy of the older version.

Any way to stop it doing that? Or do you need to check it a few times before you shut down and then it eventually stabilises? Or would I be better to use the terminal window command option instead to disable the renderer-test program? Out of the two options - using an old version of Kindle for PC/Mac or the terminal window command - which is better and what are the key differences between the two? Sorry lots of questions...

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:14 AM   #385
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
Any way to stop it doing that? Or do you need to check it a few times before you shut down and then it eventually stabilises?
I don't know why that option doesn't stick on some systems. If it is being reset for you then I recommend checking it each time you launch the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
Or would I be better to use the terminal window command option instead to disable the renderer-test program? Out of the two options - using an old version of Kindle for PC/Mac or the terminal window command - which is better and what are the key differences between the two?
There are differences in the files delivered from Amazon if you update to the latest version and block KFX by disabling renderer-test.

First, each book will have its own sub-folder. You will have to navigate to locate book files.

Second, books that contain high quality images will have only the standard quality ones in the main (.azw) file. They will be the same quality that Kindle owners receive if they use Method 3 described in the first post.

I will also mention that some progress has been made on improving Method 4. A patch to the common used DRM Tools is available for testing.

The choice of which option to use is up to you.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:34 AM   #386
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I will also mention that some progress has been made on improving Method 4. A patch to the common used DRM Tools is available for testing.
Oh, splendid!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 10:20 AM   #387
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Quote:
There are differences in the files delivered from Amazon if you update to the latest version and block KFX by disabling renderer-test.

First, each book will have its own sub-folder. You will have to navigate to locate book files.

Second, books that contain high quality images will have only the standard quality ones in the main (.azw) file. They will be the same quality that Kindle owners receive if they use Method 3 described in the first post.
Thanks @jhowell for that information. It looks like it is better if I use Method 1 - the older version of Kindle for Mac - for the two reasons you mentioned above.
  1. Some of my files are manga/comics which contain high quality images which I would like to use/keep.
  2. I use Automator to auto add the files into Calibre so not sure if it will find the files if they are in different folders. I would need to experiment with that.

Thanks,

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:44 PM   #388
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Question, is the patch publicly available? I checked github and WordPress, and there doesn’t appear to be any changes as far as KFX. Thanks!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #389
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Question, is the patch publicly available?
Yes. See the second comment from voltagex on the KFX pull request in Apprentice Harper's GitHub.

You will also need to install the KFX Input plugin for it to work.

Last edited by jhowell; 03-31-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2018, 04:42 PM   #390
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Yes. See the second comment from voltagex on the KFX pull request in Apprentice Harper's GitHub.

You will also need to install the KFX Input plugin for it to work.
Already have KFX Input installed. Cool. Thanks!
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc