Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-29-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
Teobaz
Teobaz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura 2nd edition
Kobo aura 2nd ed. Highlight problem

Hello everybody I'm here asking your help.
My device is a Kobo aura 2nd edition running 4.1.7 firmware ( downgraded from 4.7)
The problem is that all my notes ( highlights ) don't have chapter and page position showed. All have indicated at 0% in the chapter and the number of chapter is not displayed.
I can move from the note to the chapter but not knowing where the notes are is frustrating. What should I do?
Thanks for your help and excuse me for my poor English
Teobaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
This is a long standing bug in the highlighting for epubs.

This happens when you close and reopen the book. When you first create the annotation, the location is correctly stored and displayed. When you close and reopen the book, the location details are lost and always show as 0% in the chapter the book opens to.

This happens because for epubs, the annotations are stored in two places. One is the internal database. The other is a file maintained by the Adobe RMSDK used for rendering epubs. When the book is reopened, these two copies of the bookmarks are merged and, unfortunately, the location details are lost.

A workaround for this is to replace a directory on the device with a file. The RMSDK stores the annotations in files in the directory "Annotations" which is in "Digital Editions". If you remove the "Annotations" directory and replace it with a file of the same name, the annotations files cannot be created and this prevents the problem happening when a book is reopened.

Alternatively, kepubs are not affected by this problem as the RMSDK is not used for them. Converting to kepubs or using the KoboTouchExtended driver in calibre will prevent this problem occurring.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
Teobaz
Teobaz began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo aura 2nd edition
Thank you very much for your help, Davidfor
I thought (Hope) it was a firmware bug,and this drive me crazy.
Unfortunately I run OSX snow leopard and my calibre version can't see my kobo.
Teobaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
JohhnyMix
Connoisseur
JohhnyMix began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O V2
guess you need to convert to kepub in order to get that fixed.
JohhnyMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teobaz View Post
Thank you very much for your help, Davidfor
I thought (Hope) it was a firmware bug,and this drive me crazy.
Unfortunately I run OSX snow leopard and my calibre version can't see my kobo.
This annotations bug has nothing to do with the OS you are running or calibre. The first workaround I suggested can be done from any computer that can see the device.

And, unless you are using an OSX version that requires you to run calibre 1.48, you should upgrade to the latest version to get the full support.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:33 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And, unless you are using an OSX version that requires you to run calibre 1.48, you should upgrade to the latest version to get the full support.
Sadly, OSX Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6) does not support calibre past version 1.48.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:09 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sadly, OSX Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6) does not support calibre past version 1.48.
I thought that would be it. If the version number had been posted, I would probably have recognised it. Unfortunately, my version of the KoboTouch driver for calibre 1.48 to support newer devices is no longer practical with the changes to the database.

Tags
chapter detection, highlight, kobo