Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #136
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, please read this thread properly from the start before you comment on it. Jon, whose post I was replying to, is of the opinion that the DMCA's exemption clause applies to everybody, regardless of whether or not they are disabled. That has not been tested in court.
This is what Jon said:

Quote:
So how come DRM is allowed to take away the read-aloud feature of eBooks? Doesn't that mean that blind people cannot partake in most eBooks?
I know how to read, thanks.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:38 PM   #137
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Jon is well-known here to be an advocate of the fact that it's legal for everyone to remove DRM from eBooks due to the DMCA exemption. He'll be happy to tell you so himself, so you certainly don't need to take my word for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #138
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
No, please read this thread properly from the start before you comment on it. Jon, whose post I was replying to, is of the opinion that the DMCA's exemption clause applies to everybody, regardless of whether or not they are disabled. That has not been tested in court.
It will never be tested in court. The exceptions does not state that only a certain class may remove DRM, nor does it say that you may only remove DRM for a particular reason. All it says is that due to a technical constraint caused by DRM, the DRM can be removed.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #139
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ie, you (and Jon) are of the opinion that the exemption applies to everyone. Yes, that's what I said .
Old 03-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #140
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
ie, you (and Jon) are of the opinion that the exemption applies to everyone. Yes, that's what I said .
Of course, if interpreted this way then the law basically says,

"Oh and by the way, you don't have to follow this law."

But, I very much doubt that is the case. I have read it and it doesn't read that way at all. Nor do I believe that was the intent. The intent was to make and exception for a person that fit the class and needed the exception.

Of course, that is pretty crude to. Because if the disabled person doesn't have the ability to remove the DRM. And no one else that does have the ability fall under the exception... then how is this exception to be used.

It's just a stupidly written bad law.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #141
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
erm ... why bring in the argument that the disabled person may not have the 'ability' to remove the DRM.....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #142
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
erm ... why bring in the argument that the disabled person may not have the 'ability' to remove the DRM.....
It's not an argument, I am just showing the circular login problem that this disabled "exception" provokes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #143
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
But, I very much doubt that is the case. I have read it and it doesn't read that way at all. Nor do I believe that was the intent. The intent was to make and exception for a person that fit the class and needed the exception.
That's my view too, Bob, but none of us here are lawyers and unless and until the thing is actually tested in a court case, all that any of us can offer are personal opinions.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #144
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Jon is well-known here to be an advocate of the fact that it's legal for everyone to remove DRM from eBooks due to the DMCA exemption. He'll be happy to tell you so himself, so you certainly don't need to take my word for it.
Maybe. But he wasn't stating that in this conversation. You're the one that pushed it down that path.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote