Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
diddy
Connoisseur
diddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Sony Reader for Linux and HTML5 web reader

Hi,
Is there a native Sony Reader package for Linux?
Also I'd like to understand if Sony is working on an HTML5 web reader (as Amazon and Kobo do).
Thanks,
Diddy
diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I doubt there will be a native Linux reader until the DRM implementers provide a native program for enabling purchased books. My guess is "Fat chance of that!".
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
diddy
Connoisseur

Hm, I wonder then how Kobo's Linux version can handle DRM. There seems to be a Linux version around (at least if you look at their forum posts).
Old 10-20-2011, 12:59 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Hm, I wonder then how Kobo's Linux version can handle DRM. There seems to be a Linux version around (at least if you look at their forum posts).
None of the Kobo apps use Adobe RMSDK. Therefore they just use their own (non portable) encryption for downloaded content, and can only side-load non-DRM ePub.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
diddy
Connoisseur

hm, very interesting, I wasn't aware of this. I always thought they were using Adobe DRM as well. Thanks for letting me know!
Advert