Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 04-01-2020, 05:08 AM   #1
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Catalogueing ePubs software [wanted]

I've read all relevant threads in this section (45 pages), yet I couldn't find the answer.

I am looking for a software, for windows (version is probably irrelevant, for the functionality is kept simple), which should do:
  • list all books in a directory or a directory-tree, preferable showing the book cover, author, titles, maybe year
  • searching for metadata (author, title, edition, year, language), tags, fulltext
  • optionally order them physically in that tree (create and populate said tree)
  • accessing the book means to give the opportunity to copy that epub file to a place of choice (like downloading)
Calibre is close, BookFusion even close (but it goes outside the system), other projects are dead or mobile (IOS/android).

It should not:
  • edit books
  • delete books
  • store, read/download etc. to/from outside the system (computer) - no "clouds", no nothing.

It is completely irrelevant and probably not wanted to manage portable devices - it's enough if it "downloads" the epub from the collection to a directory of choice. All my ereaders can organise the books by themselves.

Is there such a wonder software?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 05:19 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You won't find what you want. Calibre is as close as you'll get. BookFusion is not nearly as good. You'll have to give up your custom directories to get everything else. To be honest, you don't notice the way Calibre organizes things. You just use the GUI and your good to go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Which bit of your requirements does calibre not meet?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #4
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Allowing the editing and removal/deletion of the books.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Allowing the editing and removal/deletion of the books.
Then you'll need enormous powers of persuasion, or a tame programmer, to get a no-edit/no-delete option built into calibre.

Nothing else comes close to the abilities of calibre in terms of organisation and metadata.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:34 PM   #6
skillachie
Addict
skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skillachie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10" , Kindle Fire, Pixel 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You won't find what you want. Calibre is as close as you'll get. BookFusion is not nearly as good. You'll have to give up your custom directories to get everything else. To be honest, you don't notice the way Calibre organizes things. You just use the GUI and your good to go.
We(BookFusion) are almost there and will have a new platform launched in Q3 2020 and then a native desktop app in Q4. We know there are gaps and improvements required and are actively working on them.

You can give us feedback at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cGC...ZohEaxwd0/edit

Quote:
I've read all relevant threads in this section (45 pages), yet I couldn't find the answer.

I am looking for a software, for windows (version is probably irrelevant, for the functionality is kept simple), which should do:
  • list all books in a directory or a directory-tree, preferable showing the book cover, author, titles, maybe year
  • searching for metadata (author, title, edition, year, language), tags, fulltext
  • optionally order them physically in that tree (create and populate said tree)
  • accessing the book means to give the opportunity to copy that epub file to a place of choice (like downloading)
Calibre is close, BookFusion even close (but it goes outside the system), other projects are dead or mobile (IOS/android).

It should not:
  • edit books
  • delete books
  • store, read/download etc. to/from outside the system (computer) - no "clouds", no nothing.

It is completely irrelevant and probably not wanted to manage portable devices - it's enough if it "downloads" the epub from the collection to a directory of choice. All my ereaders can organise the books by themselves.

Is there such a wonder software?
Thank you for signing up and trying BookFusion. Most apps and projects in the eBook space die since the revenue model is unsustainable. The best way for readers to see the platform or solutions they want is to donate to projects or pay for a subscription. BookFusion does not sell ads nor users data and so there will be a nominal fee even without using cloud services.

We will be launching an updated version later this year that will not require you to use the Cloud service. You will have the ability to import and read your files via OPDS and other protocols between devices.

Please let us know if you have any additional feedback by completing this survey
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1cGC...ZohEaxwd0/edit
skillachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:42 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One solution is to learn Python and edit the Calibre code to change it so your should not edit and should not delete are there.

However, it's even easier to just not invoke the editor or delete your books.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:24 PM   #8
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

To list a plurality of items from some directories one doesn't need to learn yet another programming (???) language nor to adapt an existing software - one simply needs to remember the good old C++ and make use of MFC classes (like open file dialogue) then "custom paint" the items accordingly (except for extracting metadata, MFC can do all what I want).

I only hoped somebody had this idea before so that I don't need to reinvent the wheel.
Old 04-23-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
To list a plurality of items from some directories one doesn't need to learn yet another programming (???) language nor to adapt an existing software - one simply needs to remember the good old C++ and make use of MFC classes (like open file dialogue) then "custom paint" the items accordingly (except for extracting metadata, MFC can do all what I want).

I only hoped somebody had this idea before so that I don't need to reinvent the wheel.
Why do you want to reinvent the wheel when Calibre can do what you want? Sure it does some things you don't want. But it's very easy to just not do the things you don't want to do.

You really are making this very hard for yourself when Calibre is out there.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

So, as it is so simple, you'll be releasing it tomorrow?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:31 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Are you also looking at Mac OSX and Linux versions of that utility?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:08 AM   #12
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why do you want to reinvent the wheel when Calibre can do what you want? Sure it does some things you don't want. But it's very easy to just not do the things you don't want to do.
Because it's not for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So, as it is so simple, you'll be releasing it tomorrow?
I don't have time to program anything. I still work (for others ). It may be a retirement project, if no available solution is there by then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are you also looking at Mac OSX and Linux versions of that utility?
Not really, but I don't mind finding some alternatives
Old 04-27-2020, 08:51 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

@Ghitulescu what is it that Calibre does that it doesn't do the way you want? I know Calibre does more then you want, but if you ignore those features, what does Calibre do that makes it not for you?
Old 04-29-2020, 12:08 PM   #14
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

That software is not for me to work with - sorry, I just realised that there might be a misunderstanding.
It is to be used by students. I don't want to give them the full control.

Maybe I'll find some time to remember programming and then to do some, for the good old times' sake
Old 06-27-2020, 09:25 AM   #15
bestlem
bestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis
Then calibre is what you want

You set it up and run it as a Web server. Only you can edit add etc.

Other users use it via the Web that just gives listing and some search. They can't change anything
See https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/server.html
You do. Need client
bestlem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalogue, epub