Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2006, 12:10 PM   #1
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Cool Howto create a crosscompiler for iliad27 using softfloat, with scratchbox integration

Hi all!

My first attempt to do a crosscompiler (this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7077) had an error, in that it created it with hardware floating point support, while the iliad uses softfloat. Here are the instructions to create it for softfloat support (bonus: I've also documented the integration with scratchbox (see this other thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7131, so you can compile programs for the iliad as if using a native compiler, so most of autoconf-based programs compile flawlessly).

Here it is:

How to install a crosscompiler with softfloat support and integrated with scratchbox

# adduser iliad27
# sudo sb-adduser iliad27
# su - iliad27
$ wget -O crosstool-iliad-files.tar.gz "https://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1312"
$ tar -xvzf crosstool-iliad-files.tar.gz
$ wget -O demo-iliad-softfloat.sh.txt "https://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1986"
$ cd crosstool
$ wget http://www.kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.42.tar.gz
$ tar -xvzf crosstool-0.42.tar.gz
$ cd ~/crosstool/crosstool-0.42/
$ cp ../../demo-iliad-softfloat.sh.txt demo-iliad-softfloat.sh
$ chmod a+x demo-iliad-softfloat.sh
$ . ../prepare.sh
$ sudo mkdir /scratchbox/compilers/arm-linux-iliad-softfloat
$ sudo chown iliad27:iliad27 /scratchbox/compilers/arm-linux-iliad-softfloat
$ ./demo-iliad-softfloat.sh
(Wait a lot of time while the toolchain builds)
(That's all, you should have your new toolchain in the specified RESULT_TOP, that is, /scratchbox/compilers/arm-linux-iliad-softfloat directory.)

Integration with scratchbox

$ cd /scratchbox/compilers/arm-linux-iliad-softfloat
$ ln -s gcc-3.4.2-glibc-2.3.3/arm-softfloat-linux-gnu/* .
$ cd /scratchbox/compilers/arm-linux-iliad
$ ~/sb-toolchain-extras/confhelper/create_toolchain_conf.py > ~/sb-toolchain-extras/meta/alien-tc/arm-iliad.conf
$ cd ~
$ darcs get --set-scripts-executable http://scratchbox.org/repos/1.0/sb-toolchain-extras
(alternatively, if you don't have dracs installed, you can untar the attached file)
$ cd /scratchbox/compilers/arm-linux-iliad-softfloat
$ ~/sb-toolchain-extras/confhelper/create_toolchain_conf.py > ~/sb-toolchain-extras/meta/alien-tc/arm-iliad-softfloat.conf
$ cd ~/sb-toolchain-extras
$ make CONFIG=meta/alien-tc/arm-iliad-softfloat.conf -C meta/alien-tc all-sums
$ make CONFIG=meta/alien-tc/arm-iliad-softfloat.conf -C meta/alien-tc
$ find . -name configure -exec chmod a+x \{\} \;
$ cd /scratchbox/compilers/arm-linux-iliad/arm-softfloat-linux-gnu/bin
$ for i in * ; do ln -s $i sbox-$i ; done

Configuration of the user to use the new crosscompiler

$ sb-menu
(new target, select the new toolchain, select qemu-arm/perl/debian, don't unpack filesystem, install all utilities and select the new target as default)

Enter scratchbox

$ scratchbox

Miscellaneous

I've untarred the filesystem.27.tar.gz in /iliad in the scratchbox setup, and also done
sbox$ cd /usr/lib
sbox$ ln -s /iliad/usr/lib/* .

For the header files... untar the attached src-xdevel.tar.gz file (files taken shamelessly from debian arm packages...). I've untarred it in /home/iliad27/ , and then
$ cd /usr/include
$ ln -s /home/iliad27/src.xdevel/usr/X11R6/include/X11 .

And I've tested it compiling tcltk 8.5a4; it compiles flawlessly :-). In the previous attempt, tk wouldn't compile...

Have fun!
Attached Files
File Type: txt demo-iliad-softfloat.sh.txt (500 Bytes, 467 views)
File Type: gz sb-toolchain-extras-1.0.tar.gz (1.48 MB, 447 views)
File Type: gz src-xdevel.tar.gz (4.41 MB, 1165 views)

Last edited by Antartica; 10-26-2006 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Clarify some points... and fix iliad/iliad27 and arm-linux-iliad/arm-linux-iliad-softfloat confusion
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:12 PM   #2
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Whoosh, still trying to build this monster. I'd never heard of scratchbox before, looks pretty cool.

By the way, from my sniffing around it looks like iRex is using: http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/GettingStarted
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2006, 05:42 AM   #3
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

So far the test compile in ./demo-iliad-softfloat.sh is failing with an undefined path max size.

I pulled and installed a debian 3.1r3. Did I grab the wrong OS version?
Old 10-26-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
By the way, from my sniffing around it looks like iRex is using: http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/GettingStarted
We were supposing that is was some sort of openembedded based distro since 2.4 :-) (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=202).

Now you have confirmed it :-b
Old 10-26-2006, 06:09 AM   #5
Antartica
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
So far the test compile in ./demo-iliad-softfloat.sh is failing with an undefined path max size.

I pulled and installed a debian 3.1r3. Did I grab the wrong OS version?
I've tested it with "3.1r0", I'm sure r3 works. IIRC that happens if you don't source the prepare.sh (i.e. if you miss the first point). it is:
. ../prepare.sh
that is:
point space point point slash prepare.sh

is it working with this?
Advert
Old 10-26-2006, 06:14 AM   #6
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
I've tested it with "3.1r0", I'm sure r3 works. IIRC that happens if you don't source the prepare.sh (i.e. if you miss the first point). it is:
. ../prepare.sh
that is:
point space point point slash prepare.sh

is it working with this?
Ooops, had to reboot a couple times, forgot to re-source my shell, sigh...

Thanks, I'll give 'er another go.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:15 AM   #7
Matthijs
Groupie
Matthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enoughMatthijs will become famous soon enough

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, DR800SG
It should be possible to integrate scratchbox into the official iRex crosscompiler-toolchain also.
See http://dominion.kabel.utwente.nl/koe...-in-scratchbox for details.
Matthijs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
scotty1024
Banned

@Antartica

Your toolchain does have one advantage: source.