Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
ShadowAuthor
Enthusiast
ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 & iPhone
K2 in transit

Long-time lurker, first-time poster to these sections. After much agonizing, researching, agonizing, flipping a coin, consulting a magic 8-ball and further agonizing, I finally placed my order for a Kindle about 11 p.m. Eastern last night. I'm a technophile in every sense of the word (or at least as much as the wife and wallet will allow), but I always tend to overanalyze the heck out of any large-scale purchases. Not that $259 is all that much money, but with Christmas not even a week past yet, I felt a bit greedy wanting one, especially because the wife and I had decided on not exchanging gifts this year.

I surprised her last Christmas with a Nikon DSLR camera setup, and she wanted to respond by getting me an e-reader this year but since I couldn't make up my mind between the 3-4 models I was seriously considering (not to mention the as current vaporware Apple tablet/slate/whatever it will be called), she was unable to do so. I should have my K2 tomorrow at some point and I can't wait. I'm currently back in school pursuing an MA in English, and every semester I cringe at the number of books (mostly classics) that I have to lug around in my backpack. The Kindle will alleviate so much of that, and I'm very much looking forward to using it.

I've been met with mixed responses when I told/tell people that I was looking for/purchased an e-reader. Some are very supportive, some don't know enough to make an educated response (ambivalence perhaps?), and some are just all kinds of upset at the prospect of anyone reading e-ink. Not that it matters one iota to me, I just find it so odd that so many people are against it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'green' by any stretch of the imagination, but even to my quasi-Neanderthal brain, saving trees is a good thing.

Anyway, enough rambling from me. I look forward to becoming an active member of the Kindle community and thanks for all the information I've gleaned up to this point.
ShadowAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #2
LauretteBradley
Enthusiast
LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle reader on iPad and iPhone
Hey ShadowAuthor -- Welcome from a fellow quasi-Neanderthal! We need to stick together. I think you will LOVE your Kindle.
LauretteBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 05:25 AM   #3
Trilby
Enthusiast
Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Trilby has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Welcome
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:05 AM   #4
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAuthor View Post
Long-time lurker, first-time poster to these sections. After much agonizing, researching, agonizing, flipping a coin, consulting a magic 8-ball and further agonizing, I finally placed my order for a Kindle about 11 p.m. Eastern last night. I'm a technophile in every sense of the word (or at least as much as the wife and wallet will allow), but I always tend to overanalyze the heck out of any large-scale purchases. Not that $259 is all that much money, but with Christmas not even a week past yet, I felt a bit greedy wanting one, especially because the wife and I had decided on not exchanging gifts this year.

I surprised her last Christmas with a Nikon DSLR camera setup, and she wanted to respond by getting me an e-reader this year but since I couldn't make up my mind between the 3-4 models I was seriously considering (not to mention the as current vaporware Apple tablet/slate/whatever it will be called), she was unable to do so. I should have my K2 tomorrow at some point and I can't wait. I'm currently back in school pursuing an MA in English, and every semester I cringe at the number of books (mostly classics) that I have to lug around in my backpack. The Kindle will alleviate so much of that, and I'm very much looking forward to using it.

I've been met with mixed responses when I told/tell people that I was looking for/purchased an e-reader. Some are very supportive, some don't know enough to make an educated response (ambivalence perhaps?), and some are just all kinds of upset at the prospect of anyone reading e-ink. Not that it matters one iota to me, I just find it so odd that so many people are against it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not 'green' by any stretch of the imagination, but even to my quasi-Neanderthal brain, saving trees is a good thing.

Anyway, enough rambling from me. I look forward to becoming an active member of the Kindle community and thanks for all the information I've gleaned up to this point.
Yes you will love it. I also was really considering waiting to see what Apple came out with for a tablet, but suffice it to say I doubt it will be competitive from a price standpoint, and this coming from someone who has everything apple, computer,ipod, iphone, etc. I also think the apple device will be laden with more than necessary for just a real good reader.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
dndrich
dndrich began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I researched like mad also, and in the end, got the Kindle 2 for Christmas. Man, I love it. You will too. It reminds me of my old Palm III PDA, in the sense that it is designed to do what it does so well. The e-ink display is just perfect. The navigation is very logical. Somebody really thought about the "work flow" of using the device. That was one thing I did not like about the Nook, when I looked at it, even with the software flaws it has at present. Even when fixed, the touch screen at the bottom of the device does not work well with the natural flow of use. In the case of the Kindle, the joy stick and analog approach to the buttons make more sense. I am also dubious about future touch screens in the reading area such as with the Sony, or upcoming Plastic Logic Que, because fingerprints will likely mar the experience. So, this device is just elegant. Furthermore, this device is in a sense integrated with the Amazon web site, which is very well done. The whole environment works well despite some the criticism about DRM etc. I have been delighted.
dndrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Congratulations for your Kindle!
Welcome to MobileRead, Happy New Year and Happy Reading too.
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:56 PM   #7
ShadowAuthor
Enthusiast
ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'm going crazy as the K2 has yet to be delivered today. UPS' shipping status hasn't been updated any more than simply stating that the order is "in transit." Oh well, no sense in going crazy about something I have no control over.

As far as wanting something with a touch screen, I really wanted something that would allow me to write in the margins, take hand-written notes as I read, etc. The more I thought about it though, the less it became about wanting an e-reader and more about wanting a tablet-type computer. That would completely defeat the whole purpose of having an e-reader for the small form factor.

Well, back to waiting for UPS to show up.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #8
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
Quote:
(not to mention the as current vaporware Apple tablet/slate/whatever it will be called),
The apple thingy will come with a backlight and without the e-ink, nuff said..

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Had a sony PRS-600 first but changed that for the kindle2. As for the plastic fantastic device, if it can show pdfs in a good way I am getting one of those as well, or a kindle dx int. whenever that comes out. And I will still use my kindle2
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
ShadowAuthor
Enthusiast

I'm extremely upset right now. Just checked Amazon's site to track the shipment of my K2, and I find out that while it left the Amazon depot at 11:05:16 AM on Wednesday morning, it was checked in at carrier depot in Newark at 5:52 PM tonight. That means it took 18 hours for the package to travel 13 miles!

I wouldn't care so much about waiting for the package, but I purposely paid for overnight shipping so that I could get it today and not Saturday because of the New Year's Holiday. This isn't an Amazon issue because the package had left their place in plenty of time.

Sorry, just had to rant.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
I'm extremely upset right now. Just checked Amazon's site to track the shipment of my K2, and I find out that while it left the Amazon depot at 11:05:16 AM on Wednesday morning, it was checked in at carrier depot in Newark at 5:52 PM tonight. That means it took 18 hours for the package to travel 13 miles!

I wouldn't care so much about waiting for the package, but I purposely paid for overnight shipping so that I could get it today and not Saturday because of the New Year's Holiday. This isn't an Amazon issue because the package had left their place in plenty of time.

Sorry, just had to rant.
You can get your money back for the shipping because this was not overnight shipping. Since the carrier is Amazon choice then they will refund you your money. You might no get it until Monday because in some places there are no Saturday delivery for Amazon products.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
ShadowAuthor
Enthusiast

I sent an email to Amazon and they've refunded the extra monies paid for the expedited shipping. I sure hope they deliver on Saturday, I don't want the K2 sitting outside all day waiting for me to get home.

I still want to know WHY it took 18 hours for the package to travel 13 miles.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Blame it on the holiday crush. I was expecting a package the Friday before Christmas and first it was pushed to the following Monday because of the heavy package volume and then it was pushed to Tuesday because of the East Coast snow storm.

Amazon is very generous to refund the overnight fee because the delay wasn't on their end. Over the years I've been very impressed by Amazon's CS and that's what keeps me coming back.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #13
ShadowAuthor
Enthusiast

Hey, just wanted to let you all know it finally came on the 4th. I'm in love so far, but I've been really busy taking a winter intercession class (Japanese squeezed into 3 weeks, yikes!) so I haven't had as much time to play with it as I'd like. Initial impressions are very strong, and even the better half is thinking of getting one for herself!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Welcome! You will love your kindle. Look out, spouses tend to say "I don't want an ereader, I don't do that much reading" Then, when your kindle is missing, guess where it is?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote