Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-08-2023, 06:26 PM   #1
John IV
John IV began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Calibre is now producing more 'advanced' epub on conversion?

Hello, within the last couple weeks I am noticing that all the epubs I run through a Calibre conversion (epub to epub) are producing output that is more 'advanced' when reading in the Android Kindle app.

The new conversions are producing epubs that show page turning animations and what I take to be the page previews in grid style feature when being read in the Android Kindle app. I think this may have coincided with the 6.28 release.

I didn't make any alterations to my conversion defaults. Does anyone know why this change is happening, was an internal default changed? It is a welcome change, but I'm curious how it occured.

I narrowed it down to the conversion as I had an old conversion and new in my Amazon account and opened them both to see the difference. I'll see if I can attach an image of the new conversion. Is it an epub 2 to 3 feature? Or maybe Amazon's back-end processing of incoming epubs for its Send to Kindle? Thanks -
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle.png
Views:	89
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	204194  

Last edited by John IV; 10-08-2023 at 06:49 PM.
John IV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 07:08 PM   #2
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by John IV View Post
... page previews in grid style feature...
This feature is specific to KFX formats, as far as I know.

So I'd guess your latest epub has been processed by Amazon, though the fact that your epub produced on a previous Calibre version was not processed in that same way remains an interesting question.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 10-08-2023 at 07:11 PM.
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2023, 07:11 PM   #3
John IV

Thanks, yes it is interesting. Any old epub I have that I send through a round trip conversion in Calibre (epub to epub) and email to Kindle gains these new features.

Laugh, is it Calibre or Amazon? It's a pleasant upgrade regardless.
Old 10-08-2023, 07:18 PM   #4
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the page previews in grid style or whatever it's called was the main reason I would sideload books in KFX format. And there was something extra cool about it I can't remember now.
Old 10-08-2023, 07:34 PM   #5
Comfy.n

Enhanced Typesetting allows improved rendering of e-book content using hyphenation, kerning and ligatures.

"Enhanced Typesetting, multi-thumbnail Page Flip, non-justified alignment, continuous scrolling, page curl, Guided View for comics, and sticky notes (on Kindle Scribe)."

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3288333

That's what it's called, enhanced typesetting
Advert
Old 10-08-2023, 08:25 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
This is the result of a change in the conversion of personal documents made by Amazon in late September. More info in the thread Send-to-kindle delivering KFX format to more devices.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 09:48 PM   #7
John IV

Excellent, thanks for solving the mystery!
This way I just need to re-download from my Amazon library and not mass convert the existing epubs with Calibre.

Tags
conversion, epub to epub, kindle, x-ray