Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-27-2023, 04:03 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Ah, yes, resorting to that old-fashioned troubleshooting technique - "when all else fails, follow the instructions."

Glad you got it working.
Has anyone here not read the fine manual after trying the "intuitive" approach?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 04:11 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm ready to install 4.37 and then the patches. But I'm going to wait and do it tomorrow after I fully charge the battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2023, 04:19 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In case anyone is interested in my patches, here they are. Enjoy!

Ive not included the firmware ZIP file. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Some are customized.

You can see what patches I've enabled and which ones are customized by looking at kobopatch.yaml.

One patch says Custumized (maybe) because I've not customized it until I test it with my new font choice.
Attached Files
File Type: rar JonsPatches_4.37.21533.rar (5.67 MB, 101 views)
Old 06-27-2023, 04:49 PM   #19
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I hope this is the right place to ask: I'm intrigued by the nickel.yaml patch "Reduce top/bottom page spacer". I have my header and footer disabled, and the header spacing usually looks good to me, but often there is what looks like room for one extra line of text at the bottom of the screen.

The strange thing is, sometimes the reader will put a line of text there, and the page looks full, and other times the last line will be missing. I don't know what causes this, but would the patch help? I don't want to eliminate the top/bottom margin, but having a wasted line does irk me, especially since I can't tell why it only happens sometimes.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 04:58 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I hope this is the right place to ask: I'm intrigued by the nickel.yaml patch "Reduce top/bottom page spacer". I have my header and footer disabled, and the header spacing usually looks good to me, but often there is what looks like room for one extra line of text at the bottom of the screen.

The strange thing is, sometimes the reader will put a line of text there, and the page looks full, and other times the last line will be missing. I don't know what causes this, but would the patch help? I don't want to eliminate the top/bottom margin, but having a wasted line does irk me, especially since I can't tell why it only happens sometimes.
The patch reduces (by half) the space remaining when the header/footer are off.

It should help because it gives a little bit more space.
Advert
Old 06-30-2023, 04:20 AM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
It may be the widows and orphans setting. There is an option in Kobo eReader.conf (.kobo/kobo) on a Kobo that will ignore widows/orphans with epubs. This can be overridden in the CSS. But if you remove all widows and orphans from CSS or set them to 1, this should work.

Code:
[Reading]
readingAdobeOrphans=1
readingAdobeWidows=1
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 04:04 PM   #22
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I take it there is no such fix for KEPUB? I never read EPUB anymore, although I do recall having the same problem with EPUB at the time.
Old 06-30-2023, 04:50 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I take it there is no such fix for KEPUB? I never read EPUB anymore, although I do recall having the same problem with EPUB at the time.
I don't know that kepubs have this problem. I haven't seen it. But then I set all widows and orphans to 1 in the css for all my books.
Old 06-30-2023, 09:11 PM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't know that kepubs have this problem. I haven't seen it. But then I set all widows and orphans to 1 in the css for all my books.
As far as I recall, kepubs override any widows and orphans settings to 1.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 01:01 AM   #25
holysmoer
Enthusiast
holysmoer began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 2
I have a question: in my Libra 2 the text justification set sometimes the space between the words in same line, quiet far. At the end, there are some lines with few words and big space. It happen also if I put the justification on "off".

I tried to turn on some options from the patch, but it seems not working. Is it possible?
holysmoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 08:31 AM   #26
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by holysmoer View Post
I have a question: in my Libra 2 the text justification set sometimes the space between the words in same line, quiet far. At the end, there are some lines with few words and big space. It happen also if I put the justification on "off".

I tried to turn on some options from the patch, but it seems not working. Is it possible?
You need hyphenation to avoid this issue. Which might be a problem, depending on the language you read in. There are no good hyphenation dictionaries for all languages.
Old 07-01-2023, 08:33 AM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As far as I recall, kepubs override any widows and orphans settings to 1.
The nonstandard bottom spacing in kepubs might also be caused by a chapter title, a section break or a blockquote on the page. Those tend to mess up the total number of lines per page.

Last edited by Sirtel; 07-01-2023 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2023, 03:41 PM   #28
Aleron Ives
Wizard

I get the empty space at the bottom of the page regularly, even though the next page has no such special formatting. Kobo just seems to randomly decide to bump the last line of text to the next page whenever it feels like it.
Old 07-01-2023, 04:03 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I get the empty space at the bottom of the page regularly, even though the next page has no such special formatting. Kobo just seems to randomly decide to bump the last line of text to the next page whenever it feels like it.
That's weird, because I've never seen this behavior on a regular page, either with kepubs or epubs. Only when there's some special formatting. I did see it with epubs before I added the widows/orphans setting to the config file.

Perhaps it's something to do with the font you use or with ligatures/kerning if you enable those. Did you try with a different font?
Old 07-01-2023, 04:32 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Widows & orphans maybe?

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching