Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-23-2022, 10:32 AM   #61
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The eBook Planetfall by Emma Newman does have some fair use of monospace for text messages. There is no embedded font. So as ePub, given a have a font named Courier, it will display. But in KePub, it's going to display what should be monospace in a tiny font size in Georgia. So this is more an issue then just ignoring monospace if the eBook is in KePub.

If you want, I can show a screen cap of the monospace problem with KePub.
As usual, you are posting what you want and not actually reading the posts you are responding to. I know there are books that use monospace. Hell, you named this one in your earlier post. But, how many other books are there that use monospace? It is absolutely tiny when compared to number that do not use monospace. That means that adding the support is not necessarily desirable as it will only help a tiny number of their customers. As with most commercial developers, they will choose to spend their development time and money on things that will help the highest number of their users. And of course, make sure you tell Kobo it is a problem. They do make changes based on user reports. Maybe yours will be the one to move this far enough up the queue to be done.

And for curiosity, I looked at the preview of "Planetfall" that Kobo has. Unless one of the embedded fonts is actually a monospace font, it does not have any use of monospace in it. In chapter 1, there does appear to text messages. The first one is the text "Ren—come to the west gate." These use the class "left1" which is defined as:

Code:
p.left1 {
font-family: "Arial", sans-serif;/**font-family: "BriemAkademiStd";**/
font-size:85%;
margin:1.5em 0 1.5em 1em;
}
Which appears to use Arial and falls back to sans-serif. Not monospace.

Maybe I am wrong about that line of text, but, the word "monospace" does not appear in the stylesheet. From my experience with previews, Kobo strips out the chapters after the preview and updates the ToC to point to a non-existent file. They do not appear to do anything with the stylesheet.

And as the book you have does not match the code that I can see in a legal version, I have to ask where did you get it? Are you sure it is a legal copy?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:30 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As usual, you are posting what you want and not actually reading the posts you are responding to. I know there are books that use monospace. Hell, you named this one in your earlier post. But, how many other books are there that use monospace? It is absolutely tiny when compared to number that do not use monospace. That means that adding the support is not necessarily desirable as it will only help a tiny number of their customers. As with most commercial developers, they will choose to spend their development time and money on things that will help the highest number of their users. And of course, make sure you tell Kobo it is a problem. They do make changes based on user reports. Maybe yours will be the one to move this far enough up the queue to be done.
I know this does not effect all that many eBooks. But it does effect some. According the the ePub standard, monospace should work. It's not supposed to be an optional thing to implement.

And for curiosity, I looked at the preview of "Planetfall" that Kobo has. Unless one of the embedded fonts is actually a monospace font, it does not have any use of monospace in it. In chapter 1, there does appear to text messages. The first one is the text "Ren—come to the west gate." These use the class "left1" which is defined as:

Code:
p.left1 {
font-family: "Arial", sans-serif;/**font-family: "BriemAkademiStd";**/
font-size:85%;
margin:1.5em 0 1.5em 1em;
}
Which appears to use Arial and falls back to sans-serif. Not monospace.

Maybe I am wrong about that line of text, but, the word "monospace" does not appear in the stylesheet. From my experience with previews, Kobo strips out the chapters after the preview and updates the ToC to point to a non-existent file. They do not appear to do anything with the stylesheet.

And as the book you have does not match the code that I can see in a legal version, I have to ask where did you get it? Are you sure it is a legal copy?[/QUOTE]

Have a look at the preview for Planetfall from Overdrive. It does show the text messages in a monospace font.
I got it from Kobo US. The preview from Kobo US shows the text messages to be in a monospace font.

But, when I look at a preview at Kobo AU, I do see a sans-serif font used.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2022, 04:00 AM   #63
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Question help with the kobopatch.bat

I have a problem patching my Elipsa: when I run it, it closes so quickly that I can't see where the problem is. I tried turning yeses to nos where I had fails in the past, but the problem subsists.
Is there a log somewhere? If not, can I slow the execution?
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 04:27 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I have a problem patching my Elipsa: when I run it, it closes so quickly that I can't see where the problem is. I tried turning yeses to nos where I had fails in the past, but the problem subsists.
Is there a log somewhere? If not, can I slow the execution?
There is a log file in the Out directory. That's where you will see where the problem is.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:44 AM   #65
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a log file in the Out directory. That's where you will see where the problem is.
Thank you very much, solved my problem (I had 2 smartlink patches enabled).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2022, 12:43 PM   #66
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
When I try and run kobopatch.sh on my M1 iMac I get the following

Downloads/kobopatch_4.33.19759/kobopatch.sh: line 9: ./bin/kobopatch-darwin-64bit: Bad CPU type in executable

Any ideas?

I know I have the correct firmware in the src folder, though I doubt that's anything to do with this issue. And all the patches should be set correctly, though I also doubt this is the cause of the issue.

I am not prompted to allow or deny it to run, and the security system pref shows nothing, which makes sense since it doesn't seem to have ever actually successfully attempted to launch.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 12:53 PM   #67
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
When I try and run kobopatch.sh on my M1 iMac I get the following

Downloads/kobopatch_4.33.19759/kobopatch.sh: line 9: ./bin/kobopatch-darwin-64bit: Bad CPU type in executable

Any ideas?

I know I have the correct firmware in the src folder, though I doubt that's anything to do with this issue. And all the patches should be set correctly, though I also doubt this is the cause of the issue.

I am not prompted to allow or deny it to run, and the security system pref shows nothing, which makes sense since it doesn't seem to have ever actually successfully attempted to launch.
I don't currently distribute Darwin arm64 builds. The x86_64 ones should still run with Rosetta enabled, though.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:09 PM   #68
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I don't currently distribute Darwin arm64 builds. The x86_64 ones should still run with Rosetta enabled, though.
Many thanks, I wish OS X was clever enough to prompt the install from the .sh file, but it wasn't terribly hard to force an install using terminal.

After that worked like a charm.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 08:50 PM   #69
gogu1904
Connoisseur
gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gogu1904 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One LE
Is there a wat to get rid of row2 together with getting rod of row3 from the home screen? I mean, I would only like to have row1. Thank you.
gogu1904 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching