Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2020, 02:59 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Jon,

When I add this feature to standard nickel.yaml I'll be providing a link to your post, in the patch Description, to demo the Before/After effects so users can decide whether they're interested or not.

Your screenshot is only the 'After' so it would be helpful if you could also add a matching 'Before' screenshot for comparison.
I've added a before that I posted in another thread. If it's not good enough, I'll do another after to match the the before.

I really like that this patch is going ot become part of the standard patches. Thanks to you and @Semwize.

I'm going to go one step further and request when this patch gets added that we have one more to do the same thing with the header.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-15-2020 at 03:03 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:21 PM   #32
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've added a before that I posted in another thread. If it's not good enough, I'll do another after to match the the before.
I know I'm a nitpicker but a "matching pair" would be preferable, if possible. Thanks.

Quote:
I'm going to go one step further and request when this patch gets added that we have one more to do the same thing with the header.
The patch automatically affects header & footer the same. There's no avoiding that at present, even if we wanted to. That's why I was concerned about @Semwize's low values affecting the top right corner dogear bookmark.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The patch automatically affects header & footer the same. There's no avoiding that at present, even if we wanted to. That's why I was concerned about @Semwize's low values affecting the top right corner dogear bookmark.
I just tested my H2O and I can tap the comer for bookmarks no problem.
Old 12-15-2020, 04:08 PM   #34
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just tested my H2O and I can tap the comer for bookmarks no problem.
It's not whether you can tap it. It's whether part of the left edge of the dogear is overlayed by the right edge of the caption's white background box. When doing my initial tests I particularly noticed it when paging backwards from a page without a dogear to a page with a pre-created dogear.

No rocket science is involved. The header caption and the dogear icon are partially occupying the same horizontal space when you make the footerMargin width too small. When any page is rendered either the dogear or the caption ends up "on top". When it's the caption on top, the dogear can be clipped. When the dogear is on top, no problem.

In the hope a picture's worth a 1000 words...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caption_dogear.png
Views:	457
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	184049  

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-15-2020 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added screenshot
Old 12-15-2020, 06:19 PM   #35
Barruel
Enthusiast
Barruel began at the beginning.

Device: 3 x Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 3 Manga Edition
Quote:
That font looks gorgeous. What font is it?
Barruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2020, 06:31 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It's not whether you can tap it. It's whether part of the left edge of the dogear is overlayed by the right edge of the caption's white background box. When doing my initial tests I particularly noticed it when paging backwards from a page without a dogear to a page with a pre-created dogear.

No rocket science is involved. The header caption and the dogear icon are partially occupying the same horizontal space when you make the footerMargin width too small. When any page is rendered either the dogear or the caption ends up "on top". When it's the caption on top, the dogear can be clipped. When the dogear is on top, no problem.

OK, I did a proper test and when I changed to a page that has a bookmark, it shows the bookmark without anything in the way.

By the way, does this patch also work for KePub?
Old 12-15-2020, 06:50 PM   #37
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barruel View Post
That font looks gorgeous. What font is it?
The chapter number is an image. The chapter text heading and first line of first paragraph are both Minion Pro SmallCaps. The body text is Minion Pro.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #38
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK, I did a proper test and when I changed to a page that has a bookmark, it shows the bookmark without anything in the way.
Jon, No matter what tests you did, the evidence of what can happen is right there in the ClaraHD screenshot in post #34. I'm not sure why you're pursuing this disagreement. Some people care about aesthetics, some don't.

All that's going to happen is the default values I plan to set in the updated patch should avoid the screenshot situation. You, as an individual, will be free to customise your own nickel.yaml patch to have values as small as you like. Just like so many other nickel.yaml patches. I'll even document that in the patch's help notes. Everyone should be catered for.

Quote:
By the way, does this patch also work for KePub?
Yes.
Old 12-16-2020, 12:35 AM   #39
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Jon, in the screenshot, Jackie created a bookmark BEFORE applying the patch.

If you remove the bookmark and set it again, there will be no distortions.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I agree that the patch should not cause the bookmarks to have a problem. I'm just saying that with the values used for the H2O, there is no problem.

Anyway, I like the patch and I'm happy that it's becoming standard.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:43 PM   #41
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

In the hope of putting an end to any more carping...
  • Old patch Custom new header/footer font will be renamed to Custom header/footer captions. A new section, Part 3, will be added for the new (optional) 'increase caption width' feature.
  • I found a simple trick to mitigate the potential "dogear problem" by changing the caption background to transparent rather than its default of opaque white.

To this end, I'll be including a detailed 'Hint' in the help notes for Part 1 (optional custom font-family for captions)

Old Part 1:
    Code:
    #- {Find: "font-family: Avenir;", Replace: "font-family:Avenir;"}
    New Part 1:
    Code:
    #- {Find: "font-family: Avenir;", Replace: "font-family:Avenir; background:transparent;"}
Old 12-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #42
bachvarov
bachvarov began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook Touch HD3
Kobo Libra H2O

Running kobopatch.bat does not generate KoboRoot.tgz (firmware 4.25). Any ideas why is this happening?
bachvarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 08:04 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Has the new patch for the header/footer been added to the standard patches yet?
Old 12-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #44
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachvarov View Post
Running kobopatch.bat does not generate KoboRoot.tgz (firmware 4.25). Any ideas why is this happening?
What error messages are seen in the log file? Delete the log file in the out directory, run kobopatch.bat and post the new log file. For the love of whatever deities you may or may not believe in, post it as an attachment or wrap in in spoiler tags if posted inline.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What error messages are seen in the log file? Delete the log file in the out directory, run kobopatch.bat and post the new log file. For the love of whatever deities you may or may not believe in, post it as an attachment or wrap in in spoiler tags if posted inline.
It would be better (IMHO) to wrap the log in a code block because the code block is a fixed size.

Tags
kobopatch, patch, patch32lsb, patches, patching