Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-17-2020, 01:55 AM   #46
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
I have the HD 8 from 2018. It is a great device to read comics on and is price-friendly too. It might not have the greatest screen or specs but for someone who needed a tablet to read comics but didn't want to purchase an iPad, it does the job. So this new one also looks interesting.
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 09:35 AM   #47
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
A Fire HD tablet has been my primary reader and main internet consumption device for several years now.
What book formats can be used on the Fire HD tablet?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #48
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have a HD8 from 2016. It’s hardly been used, I only keep it in case I have to go into hospital for a day stay as I’d leave my kindle and ipad at home. For me it’s really worthless.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Any format I choose to install a reading app for. It's primarily integrated with the Kindle reading app's formats, but I've purchased epubs from other bookstores in the past.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-17-2020 at 10:39 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:44 AM   #50
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
A Fire HD tablet has been my primary reader and main internet consumption device for several years now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm seriously considering the new HD 8. Hopefully, Prime Day won't be delayed too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiieey View Post
I have the HD 8 from 2018. It is a great device to read comics on and is price-friendly too. It might not have the greatest screen or specs but for someone who needed a tablet to read comics but didn't want to purchase an iPad, it does the job. So this new one also looks interesting.
I spent all of $27.50 on my 2018 Fire HD 8 at the Black Friday price plus trade-in; it might be my single “best bang for the buck” device purchase ever. Pairing it with an ancient keyboard, I did everything on it for well over a year; now I mostly read on it as I have to say it’s slowed down noticeably - which is the reason I traded in my older one to get it. No complaints and if I were not stuck at home along with everyone else, it would be my takealong tablet still.

So. I do have another 2016 Fire HD 8 collecting dust here; I can see myself trading it in on the 2020 version once a sale price comes along. The value’s there for these devices for the uses I have.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2020, 11:31 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Mobi, KF8, ePub, PDF, and others. It just depends on what apps you have installed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:23 PM   #52
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
I hope Walmart matches with their next One tablet. I've enjoyed the "vanilla Android 9" experience. In just about every way, it's otherwise the same as the Fire HD 8...but cheaper (every day price of $64).

I _could_ be tempted by a terrific "Prime Day" deal this coming July. 30% faster, 2 hours more of battery...a half to 1gig more of memory....and the option for 64gig internal memory....just might tempt me.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:16 AM   #53
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Walmart did upgrade their Onn 8” tablet. It’s now $99 so it’s more expensive. 32gig storage, 2gig ram....but an Octo Core CPU bs quad core fore Amazon’s.

Runs Android 10
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #54
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Any format I choose to install a reading app for. It's primarily integrated with the Kindle reading app's formats, but I've purchased epubs from other bookstores in the past.
Thanks. If I sideload my Calibre DRM-free .AZW3 files, do I need to install a specific reading app, or will the Kindle app readily recognize that file format?
Old 05-19-2020, 10:52 AM   #55
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Thanks. If I sideload my Calibre DRM-free .AZW3 files, do I need to install a specific reading app, or will the Kindle app readily recognize that file format?
Kindle app will work for those. Let calibre manage it.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #56
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Kindle app will work for those. Let calibre manage it.
Thanks. I only use Calibre to remove DRM (with Alf's help), manage my library, and sideload to my eInk Kindles. I'm assuming that's what you mean? Also, is there a specific folder on the Fire HD to sideload my Calibre library into?
Old 05-19-2020, 11:19 AM   #57
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Thanks. I only use Calibre to remove DRM (with Alf's help), manage my library, and sideload to my eInk Kindles. I'm assuming that's what you mean? Also, is there a specific folder on the Fire HD to sideload my Calibre library into?
Yes and no:
It creates a directory on its own.
If you have an SD card you can tell it to create it there.
If you have a file manager and open a book in a different folder it will open fine so you can create your own folder structure elsewhere.

I let the tablet app manage Amazon books and keep my BAEN books separate.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #58
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Yes and no:
If you have an SD card you can tell it to create it there.
If you have a file manager and open a book in a different folder it will open fine so you can create your own folder structure elsewhere.

So just transfer to the root directory on the Fire HD and the device creates its own directory?

If you have a file manager and open a book in a different folder it will open fine so you can create your own folder structure elsewhere
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.

I assume by "tablet app" you're referring to the Kindle app on the Fire HD?

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #59
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Multiple options work e.g.

1. Don't think ,just leave it all to calibre Or
2. Do think, create a root level folder e.g. my books. Don't use subfolders
3.another option is to install calibre companion and let that get books from calibre to you, wirelessly

Experiment
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #60
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
So just transfer to the root directory on the Fire HD and the device creates its own directory?

If you have a file manager and open a book in a different folder it will open fine so you can create your own folder structure elsewhere
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean here.

I assume by "tablet app" you're referring to the Kindle app on the Fire HD?

Thanks.
1- No, the app has its own preferences. You simply tell it onboard or SD card.

2- You can optionally install a File manager on the tablet. So you can manage files outside of apps, like PCs or Macs. If it's not something you're used to, just let Calibre or Calobre Companion do it for you.

3- Everthing the apps does is by an app (preinstalled, like Kindle), downloaded from Amazon (Like the Overdrive ebook app), or sideloaded (like fbReader or other epub app).
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote