Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #331
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
Plato 0.6.2

I've released 0.6.2.

Plato now provides an application called Sketch. It can be launched from the Applications submenu of the main menu.

Features of Sketch:
  • 8 pen sizes.
  • Dynamic thickness: the pen's speed variations are translated into thickness variations.
  • 16 pen colors: intermediate gray levels are rendered through halftoning.

The sketches are saved in a subdirectory of library-path called Sketches and automatically imported when quitting.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 04:24 AM   #332
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Thank you so much!
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2018, 04:58 AM   #333
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@NiLuJe: Does the Forma have touch pressure sensitivity?

I'm asking this because the Aura H₂O Edition 2 emits ABS_MT_PRESSURE events.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:50 PM   #334
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@baskerville: Yes, it appears to do, too .

(Basically, the chain of events is exactly that).

I'm not quite sure what the scale is, though. I'm getting values between 0 and 143 (decimal), possibly a bit more?

The "20" I'm using with FBInk I got from a Clara log.
For my purposes, it registers as a touch on the Forma, too.

EDIT: Might actually be related more to the amplitude of the touch than actual pressure: i.e., I get small values with the tip of my finger, and larger if I squish it around .
Take that with a grain of salt, I'm not familiar with the intricacies of touch input events .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-22-2018 at 02:02 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #335
baskerville
Evangelist

@NiLuJe: Thanks, I finally understood how to read the hex dumps!
Advert
Old 12-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #336
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
EDIT: Might actually be related more to the amplitude of the touch than actual pressure: i.e., I get small values with the tip of my finger, and larger if I squish it around .
Take that with a grain of salt, I'm not familiar with the intricacies of touch input events .
Out of curiosity, is there a correlation between ABS_MT_PRESSURE and ABS_MT_TOUCH_MAJOR/ABS_MT_TOUCH_MINOR on your device?
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:44 PM   #337
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@sherman: From my meager understanding of it after glancing at this, uh, quite possibly?

As an extra data point, here's what happens when I start with the tip of my thumb before smushing the full pad down.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-22-2018 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Better snippet, without stray events
Old 12-22-2018, 07:50 PM   #338
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
@sherman: From my meager understanding of it after glancing at this, uh, quite possibly?

As an extra data point, here's what happens when I start with the tip of my thumb before smushing the full pad down.
Yeah, seems to be some sort of relationship there.

I doubt the Kobo capacitive or IR touch screens are capable of sensing "real" pressure, so the _MAJOR/_MINOR event's seemed the main candidates of how they create a "pressure" value.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:26 PM   #339
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, since this came up because @pazos is trying to make me play with the accelerometer, here's the same kind of dump in evemu's much more readable format!

(Because the evtest version bundled with the FW is fairly terrible).
Old 12-29-2018, 05:26 AM   #340
baskerville
Evangelist

@NiLuJe: I've attached a test binary for the Forma.

Within the home view, can you, for each rotation value, from 0 to 270, answer the following questions:
  • When the device is held in portrait mode with the buttons on the right, where is the main menu?
  • When you tap the main menu, which UI element receives the tap?

Please post the output of grep 'Framebuffer rotation' info.log.

The gyro events and the ForwardBackward buttons should also be handled:
  • Rotate the screen and check that the framebuffer rotation matches.
  • When the device is held in portrait mode with the buttons on the right, pressing the top button should move to the next page. If you switch to the opposite portrait mode and perform the same action, you should get the same result. Holding the top button should move to the last page in the home view and to the next chapter in the reader view.

Finally, the frontlight should also work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip plato-0.6.2-forma.zip (1.58 MB, 138 views)
Old 12-29-2018, 07:33 AM   #341
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@baskerville: Have to run out, will test later tonight .

Random remark in the meantime: Nickel's default mapping is with the *bottom* button bound to next page, with dynamic mapping according to the rotation for it to keep following the same logic (i.e., top becomes next pg @ CW because it's then on the right, which makes sense, at least for LTR scripts. That's the default default mapping, but there's an option to invert it.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #342
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, after a quick test:

* Visually, stuff looks fine on startup (Portrait, buttons on the right), menu is on top. However, touch coordinates are off in all Portrait orientation (touching the bottom-left corner registers on the top-right of the screen).
Touch input is okay in both Landscape orientations.

* Setting the frontlight crashes
Code:
thread 'main' panicked at 'called `Result::unwrap()` on an `Err` value: Os { code: 22, kind: InvalidInput, message: "Invalid argument" }', libcore/result.rs:1009:5
Never really played with that, but the ioctl used by Nickel seems identical as before:

Code:
[pid   180] 22:02:40 [7246e1f6] ioctl(13, _IOC(_IOC_NONE, 0, 0xf1, 0), 0x19) = 0
(@25%)

* Can't really say much about the FL warmth, as it's ineffectual with the FL @ 0, which, err, makes sense .

* Button mapping appears to follow what you described, but it's a bit jarring compared to Nickel's mapping (i.e., it matches Nickel in Landscape, but not in Portrait).

* Gyro events behave properly.

* Rota:
Code:
1069:Framebuffer rotation: 2 -> 2.
1070:Framebuffer rotation: 3 -> 1.
1071:Framebuffer rotation: 1 -> 3.
1072:Framebuffer rotation: 2 -> 2.
1073:Framebuffer rotation: 3 -> 1.
1074:Framebuffer rotation: 0 -> 0.
1075:Framebuffer rotation: 1 -> 3.
1076:Framebuffer rotation: 0 -> 0.
1077:Framebuffer rotation: 3 -> 1.
1078:Framebuffer rotation: 0 -> 0.
1079:Framebuffer rotation: 3 -> 1.
1080:Framebuffer rotation: 2 -> 2.
1081:Framebuffer rotation: 1 -> 3.
1082:Framebuffer rotation: 0 -> 0.
1083:Framebuffer rotation: 1 -> 3.
1084:Framebuffer rotation: 2 -> 2.
1085:Framebuffer rotation: 3 -> 1.
1086:Framebuffer rotation: 2 -> 2.
1087:Framebuffer rotation: 1 -> 3.
1088:Framebuffer rotation: 2 -> 2.
1089:Framebuffer rotation: 3 -> 1.
1090:Framebuffer rotation: 2 -> 2.
1091:Framebuffer rotation: 1 -> 3.
1092:Framebuffer rotation: 0 -> 0.
1093:Framebuffer rotation: 1 -> 3.
1094:Framebuffer rotation: 2 -> 2.
1095:Framebuffer rotation: 3 -> 1.
1096:Framebuffer rotation: 2 -> 2.
1097:Framebuffer rotation: 1 -> 3.
1098:Framebuffer rotation: 2 -> 2.
1099:Framebuffer rotation: 0 -> 0.
1100:Framebuffer rotation: 2 -> 2.
1101:Framebuffer rotation: 3 -> 1.
1102:Framebuffer rotation: 1 -> 3.
Which matches my rota testcase.

* It's using the legacy MXCFB ioctls, not the Mk.7 ones.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-29-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:07 PM   #343
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Okay, after a quick test…
The attached binary should fix all the aforementioned issues.

Quote:
* It's using the legacy MXCFB ioctls, not the Mk.7 ones.
I guess I should use the new calls on mark 7 devices.
Attached Files
File Type: zip plato-0.6.2-forma-02.zip (1.58 MB, 146 views)
Old 12-29-2018, 07:34 PM   #344
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, round two .

* Rotation/Touch input works perfectly fine!

* FL/NL both work, but the widget sliders are reset at 0 every time it pops up (the actual FL/NL status doesn't change).

* I'd forgotten to test the "hold" gestures you mentioned earlier with the pageturn buttons, but unless I'm doing it wrong, I can't seem to trigger them: I get a "normal" page turn action on key down, and nothing else.
But bindings are consistent this time .

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
I guess I should use the new calls on mark 7 devices.
Yeah, if only for the explicit REAGL handling, which is fairly nice for the reader .
Old 12-30-2018, 04:57 AM   #345
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
* FL/NL both work, but the widget sliders are reset at 0 every time it pops up.
This will be fixed in 0.6.3.

Quote:
* I'd forgotten to test the "hold" gestures you mentioned earlier with the pageturn buttons, but unless I'm doing it wrong, I can't seem to trigger them: I get a "normal" page turn action on key down, and nothing else.
Never mind: I'll have to rearrange things a bit. The button hold was only used for the power button up until now, so the current delay is long (1.5 seconds). Also, I forgot to bind the normal page jumps to the release state instead of the press state. And we don't want to react to the release if it was preceded by a hold, etc.

Regarding Nickel's Default and Inverted mappings: Am I right in believing that the setting only applies to the portrait modes?