Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #76
euro traveler
Connoisseur
euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.euro traveler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Nook STR, Kobo Mini, TrekStor Pyrus Mini, Nook HD & HD+
TrekStor Pyrus Mini cardboard cover.

I had planned on keeping my newest ereader, a TrekStor Pyrus Mini, naked, since it has a rubberized body already. But I just worry too much about scratching the screen.

To protect the glass, I attach a cut out piece of cardboard to it with a rubber band when I drop it into a non-empty pocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cut out cardboard cover._1.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	438.0 KB
ID:	104842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover on._1.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	461.9 KB
ID:	104843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back._1.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	555.8 KB
ID:	104844  
euro traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #77
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I'll join the club on a part time basis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
So, do you use the front cover only, or just the back?
This isn't a matter of front or back. No sir, the top (front and back) is covered to prevent the slider from sliding by itself, while the bottom (front and back) being button-free doesn't need anything

Seriously, the ereader becomes too cumbersome with a cover so I prefer to read without. When out and about, my handbag has a padded pocket in which it's easy to slip an ereader. I've brought the 650 without cover that way many times. I did the same with the Mini for a month or so, but found the sleepcover on/off function to be a good addition when reading in public transport.
However, if I'm using a backpack or something without separated pockets, I'll use the cover and a rubber to keep shut. I'm afraid of the keys and the weight of the insulated water-bottle.

I'm doing the same thing with my smartphone: a pocket in a bag or a generic cover. But I try to avoid things that scratch easily.
I am more worried of something hitting and damaging the ereader screen than the bezel showing signs of "use".
At night, I use to put the ereader face against the top of the night stand, so the screen is safe.

Within the first two weeks of having the Mini it fell twice from about 50 cm (very uncommon to me). No dead pixel, no scratches, nothing... a little dude to my heart
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #78
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
All the people buying $40 covers is why we still do not have plastic, non break prone e ink screens

No covers here.
I haven't had a single e-ink screen break, and I've dropped two of my readers. My husband has dropped one, no breaks.

All my readers have had a cover of some sort. Personally, since I clean my reader screens often, I *like* glass, much less scratch prone than plastic!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #79
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I wouldn't carry my Kindle Touch around without something to protect it. I worry too much about something breaking the screen, so I use one of the Belkin covers that have corner straps. I generally put that combination into a sleeve when carrying the KT around in a large bag with other items.

I do have a very snug fitting sleeve that accommodates just the Kindle. I don't use that sleeve very often. It doesn't seem as protective.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #80
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I do not get the need to turn a kindle into a book.
I for one just like the feel of opening and closing the case like a book. Also, it's very handy in public transport when I need to put the Kindle away for half a minute when I need to show my card to the conductor. With the book-type case, I can just close the it and put the Kindle away somewhere to get the card out. With a sleeve, I would need to get the sleeve out first, put the Kindle in it, put the Kindle away, and then reverse the entire process to get it out again.

Also, often I must change from one train to another, and they are right next to each other, each on one side of the platform. I like to just shut the case and carry the Kindle while changing trains. I could of course carry the "naked" Kindle too, but....

I just like book-type cases, if (fairly) well made I like it that when I stop reading, I can just close it like a book and put it onto the table instead of laying down "The Kindle". Hard to explain. Same reason why I like hardcover books. The cover has the added advantage that it can be folded back, unlike the hardcover books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
When I purchased my Kindle Keyboard in late 2010, I also got the lighted cover. I used that all the time for about six months. It's great protection for the device, but I didn't like the extra weight and bulk, so I decided to buy this rubberized silicone skin from a seller on eBay. I love it! The skin makes the Kindle easy to hold and adds almost no weight.

At home I now read with the silicone skin and only use the Amazon lighted cover when traveling.
I use a similar sort of skin / shell on my Nexus 4 smartphone. Normally I wouldn't use a skin or sleeve on my smartphone because it gets in the way to open it or get the phone out when it rings. I've never severely scratched a phone's body, and I've never scratched the (Gorilla glass) screen. However, with its glass back, thinness, and extremely slick feel, I am worried that the phone may take damage just from putting it down to hard a few times, or that I may drop it. Therefore I'm now using it with a TPU case similar to this one, but tailor made for the Nexus 4 of course.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-24-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #81
msmo
msmo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 4NT, Sony PRS-T1
nope

no cover. i carry my kindle everyday, in my purse, without protection. i know i'm asking for it, but i'll take what the universe throws my way.

used to use a sleeve but the kindle got pressure damage anyway, from when i leaned on it whilst reading (a cover wouldn't have saved me either).
msmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #82
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Who else hates using covers? I have one for my phone because it cost me $500 but every time I take it off I'm amazed by how my phone feels like a completely different device. It's so light and easy to hold and feels great in my hand.
I used to use a cover for my PRS 650 but I got tired of the flap constantly getting in my way when I wanted to hold it. I took it off a year ago and have been very happy with my naked ereader. It feels so light in my hand and I can hold it with either the left or right hand. I throw it in my shoulder bag when I'm finished reading and while I do have a few marks on the back of the reader, the display itself is still pristine.
And don't get me started on the price of official covers-$40 for a piece of plastic for a reader that only costs $100? Crazy.
Usually depends on the device whether I'd prefer a cover or not. The PRS-350, Nook Color and Nexus 7 are very nice to use without a cover as they're easy to grip. My iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and Asus TF700T are way too slippery to hold without a cover. For my devices that don't have covers, I have neoprene cases to keep them safe when not in use. Say what you like about plastic but I find matte plastic or plastic with rubber finish back casing more functional than the smooth metal casing found in "premium" devices.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-24-2013 at 10:42 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #83
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I could not work out why people were going on about losing a removable sleeves. Then it dawned on me not everybody wears glasses. You see I have all the time glasses and reading glasses. So when I sit down to read I pop my all the time glasses on the sleeve and my reading glasses on. I always leave my reading glasses on top of my kindle. I am so blind with reading glasses on I notice in 2 seconds and thus always remember were my sleeve is.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #84
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I have trifocals, rather than standard v. reading glasses.

If I am at,say, a doctor's office and reading, and then it's my turn, I'm as likely as not to forget where I put the sleeve. I prefer covers that I can't lose unless I lose my whole kindle, which I am unlikely to do.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #85
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I bought a number of covers for my Galaxy Note, but they made it really bulky in my pocket. I realized the reason I was buying covers was because I wanted to find one that would stand up my note while in coffee shops.

So I found a great little folding stand at the Dollar Store for $1! So now, I just throw that in another pocket when I go out and let my Note go "naked."
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #86
Tonycole
Tonycole is on a distinguished road

Device: Various Sony ereaders, Kindle and Nooks
In the course of reviewing many ereaders over the years I have been running my blog, I find that whilst I agree with those of you who say they love the feel and lightness of "naked" ereaders, I wouldn't dream of not using a cover of some sort for the ereaders I actually use on a daily basis. I have had too many screens badly scratched by being slung about in my rug sack or pockets to take that risk any more. But you don't need to spend a huge amount of money for a reasonable cover for an ereader. I see them regularly in malls being offered for a matter of a few dollars. Perhaps not the prettiest covers in the world, but fully functional nonetheless. Shops such as Target, Wall Mart and similar often have quite a selection of cheap but useable covers. And good old Belkin produce ereader covers for just about any ereader you might happen to own.
Also Chinese sites such as DH Gate have a vast range of perfectly good ereader covers for almost nothing. So you can protect your precious ereader without spending more on the cover than you did for your ereader.
Tonycole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #87
mycurlylocks
Addict
mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mycurlylocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I use a cover or pouch for protection while transporting my readers. When I read, I always use the readers or iPads with no cover. I hold my readers with one hand, covers are too bulky for me.
mycurlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #88
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
My Kobo WiFi is read naked. To transport it, I put it inside an old birthday card and tuck it in my purse. So I don't think that counts as a cover of any consequence (though it does protect beautifully).

I do, however, have a screen protector film on the screen. But it is pristine.
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #89
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Well I switched to the other side for a few weeks when I got my new Kobo Aura as I got the cover included with my purchase but I think I'm back to being a naked reader again. With a reader as small and svelte as the Aura it's just a darned shame to practically double it's size and weight with a cover. It fits into my pocket so nicely without one. I do miss being able to open the cover and have the reader automatically wake up or go to sleep. That is pretty nice, I must admit.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #90
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I never leave my ereaders without a cover because I'm insanely anal about not having any scratches on my devices. But I'll admit I absolutely detest the covers that have any kind of a flap that gets in the way when the cover is turned back. My covers open like a book, no extra straps, flaps, elastic appendages on them at all to get in the way.

And I don't mind the covers that operate that way at all. None of my ereaders have ever had even the slightest scratch on them. My phones are the same because I keep a good quality screen protector on my phone that doesn't get in the way at all.

If my reader or phone had even a slight scratch, it would annoy me so much that I'd get a new device to replace it. So a cover is pretty necessary to keep the screens in pristine condition.

Edit: I should add I also hate the covers that hold the readers in with any type of straps or elastic at the corners of the device, or where you slide it in so an extra piece of material is on top of the reader. As much as I love the look of the Oberon covers, that leaves them out as a choice for me, plus there's elastic and a button attached. The reader must fit into the case without any such obstructions so the top of it is as if there's no cover at all. Maybe if you find a case that performs like that, you won't mind it so much.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 12-30-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote