Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-20-2022, 09:44 AM   #34951
conan50
Fanatic
conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conan50 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Not sure where you are, but it looks like Best Buy has them at a similar price, and there is a blurb about trade ins.
No Best Buy near me, but thanks for the heads up.
conan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:03 AM   #34952
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan50 View Post
No Best Buy near me, but thanks for the heads up.
Best Buy has online ordering and free shipping, too. Just sayin'.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:07 PM   #34953
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This morning my car key fob's buttons wouldn't lock or unlock my car; had to insert the key. After work I downloaded the manual to find what type of battery was needed. CR1620.

Checked the Canadian Tire website and found a store close to me had 7 in stock. Went to the store and checked their Locate Product terminal, again 7 in stock with location of Ask Associate. I did and was directed to Customer Service who informed me they had none; that the inventory was incorrect!

Decided to check a near by Shoppers Drug Mart; no luck there after.

Walked back out to the car and out of habit pressed the buttons again (maybe a tad harder).

****** car lights flashed and doors unlocked. Obviously I wasn't pressing hard enough earlier in the day

PS: of course I realized after downloading the manual that I had the printed version sitting in a file folder in the back of the car
Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Last edited by PeterT; 01-21-2022 at 09:14 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:05 AM   #34954
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Had similar problems with the key fob on my vehicle! Mostly works, now and then, doesn't! Replaced battery in fob and it still occasionally has a glitch!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 04:37 PM   #34955
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I went to ABE books yesterday looking for a long out of print book as a gift. Found a copy, in a neighbouring Sydney suburb.

When I got to the how do you want to pay part, the only options were Visa, Mastercard or money order - no Paypal. Is this just me, just Australia, just ABE, or all of Amazon. I have never wanted to buy anything from Amazon before.

I found what I wanted at Etsy and was able to pay by Paypal, first time I ever bought anything there too. I've never had a credit card. Always lived by the maxim - if you don't have enough money in the bank to pay for it then you don't need it. Paypal is linked to my cheque account which is all I have.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 06:19 PM   #34956
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I went to ABE books yesterday looking for a long out of print book as a gift. Found a copy, in a neighbouring Sydney suburb.

When I got to the how do you want to pay part, the only options were Visa, Mastercard or money order - no Paypal. Is this just me, just Australia, just ABE, or all of Amazon. I have never wanted to buy anything from Amazon before.

I found what I wanted at Etsy and was able to pay by Paypal, first time I ever bought anything there too. I've never had a credit card. Always lived by the maxim - if you don't have enough money in the bank to pay for it then you don't need it. Paypal is linked to my cheque account which is all I have.

BR
I've come across that before too. Mainly Amazon. In Canada, depending on your bank, you might be able to get a card that's accepted for credit card but works like debit and withdraws from your account -- unsure if it works the same in Australia. Or use a reloadable, but the fees on those can get high and if your country doesn't ban it they don't see any problem with draining it with inactivity fees.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:51 PM   #34957
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indeed, I'm sure visa or Mastercard debit cards are a available in Australia. We also don't use credit, and we couldn't function with out a debit card.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:09 AM   #34958
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
PayPal has a US debit card, actually, that presents as a MasterCard. However, I know that PayPal Canada does not.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 03:50 AM   #34959
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just took a look at my 'bankcard' - I see it has 'VISA Debit' in one corner, its very unobtrusive, it's a new (replacement) card.

My post was to express surprise that ABE didn't accept Paypal - I suspect it might have done before it got bezossled.

@owb - our retail banks are not allowed to levy exorbitant fees on retail transaction accounts, I think that regulation was strengthened a few years ago.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-23-2022 at 03:54 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:11 AM   #34960
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
... I've never had a credit card. Always lived by the maxim - if you don't have enough money in the bank to pay for it then you don't need it. Paypal is linked to my cheque account which is all I have.

BR
You are aware that you can have/use a credit card and don't have to spend more money then you have in the bank?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:38 AM   #34961
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
Quote:
When I got to the how do you want to pay part, the only options were Visa, Mastercard or money order
I've never had a credit card. Always lived by the maxim - if you don't have enough money in the bank to pay for it then you don't need it.
How can you live in Sydney without a card?

Anyway, I got a Mastercard free as my Commonwealth bank card, so I use that in shops and online. I just use it as a debit card, not credit, so no moral hazard (except Big Brother tracking your purchase).
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:37 AM   #34962
ApK

Quote:
You are aware that you can have/use a credit card and don't have to spend more money then you have in the bank?
Far better for most to avoid temptation and accidents. There always seems to be a "it's an emergency, so just this once..." moment for 80% of credit card users.
Similarly, if you'd like to cut down on fat and sugar, best not to fill your house with fatty, sugary snack cakes . Still working on that one ...
Old 01-23-2022, 10:18 AM   #34963
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Far better for most to avoid temptation and accidents. There always seems to be a "it's an emergency, so just this once..." moment for 80% of credit card users.
Similarly, if you'd like to cut down on fat and sugar, best not to fill your house with fatty, sugary snack cakes . Still working on that one ...
I don't see it as cutting down, I see it as going without. Or cutting your nose off to spite your face.

YMMV
Old 01-23-2022, 11:50 AM   #34964
ApK

Quote:
I don't see it as cutting down, I see it as going without. Or cutting your nose off to spite your face.

YMMV

Maybe going off topic, but which are you talking about? The fat and sugar? It's not possible to cut them out entirely.
The credit cards? We're far, FAR better off without them entirely. No spite at all, face fully intact and in a much better financial situation. That's us. YOU do what you like.

Last edited by ApK; 01-23-2022 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-23-2022, 12:29 PM   #34965
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Maybe going off topic, but which are you talking about? The fat and sugar? It's not possible to cut them out entirely.
The credit cards? We're far, FAR better off without them entirely. No spite at all, face fully intact and in a much better financial situation. That's us. YOU do what you like.
Thank you for your permission.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness