Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
michaeltoye
michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis
[Q] Paging problem with Oasis

I've just transferred from PW3 to Oasis.

On oasis, every so often, a page renders with 1 or 2 paragraphs and blank for the remainder of the page, very usual at the end of a chapter. When I page forward it isn't a new chapter and it's clear there's missing text. If I page back the page is full with those 1 or 2 paragraphs unchanged in the top section of the page. Paging forward, the subsequent page is normally rendered again.

To be clear, I've not had this happen on PW3.

It only happens occasionally, so it's not a problem. I've had my Oasis a couple of weeks and each of the 6 books I've read had this happen once or twice.

Am I alone? Does this happen to others?

(I'm on the latest firmware I think)
michaeltoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltoye View Post
(I'm on the latest firmware I think)
It's a firmware bug which has been with us for the entirety of 5.8.x history. Not only is it not fixed but 5.8.9 has *another* one, where going into MOBI periodicals puts you in the (normally-hidden) contents page until you go back and forward one page, whereupon you're back where you should be.

Amazon don't seem to care about bugs in the actual reader apps any more.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2017, 02:52 PM   #3
michaeltoye
michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.michaeltoye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis
Okay, thanks. It's not really a problem.
michaeltoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:46 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltoye View Post
Okay, thanks. It's not really a problem.
There is a fairly long thread on the topic in the developer's sub-forum.
But the summary above tells the whole story:
It is indeed broke, has been broken like forever and we seem to be stuck with it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I have had a couple of incidences of this some time ago. I can't remember how long, last year sometime. I can't remember what update I was on at the time. I guess I could go through my posts to find the date. But I have not had it happen again since about 3 or so updates ago. Again, I can't remember which ones, or how many there were. Seems like there is a new one monthly lately.

I just wonder why its gone away for me, and it only happened a couple of times, but still there for others. I am on 5.8.9.2 now.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2017, 05:51 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
It's a firmware bug which has been with us for the entirety of 5.8.x history.
Not quite the whole of it. I don't know when it appeared, but I'm running 5.8.1 on my Voyage, and that doesn't have the issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #7
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is a fairly long thread on the topic in the developer's sub-forum.
But the summary above tells the whole story:
It is indeed broke, has been broken like forever and we seem to be stuck with it.
This would never happen with another company! As proof, the software I work on has not a single bug which has been open since 2012, assigned to me, and still not fixed. (This is the literal truth, because there is, uh, more than one.)
Old 06-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #8
NullNix
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not quite the whole of it. I don't know when it appeared, but I'm running 5.8.1 on my Voyage, and that doesn't have the issue.
Ah right. I remember it appearing right after that... I'm also not sure if it appears in 5.8.9.1 or .2 because my Kindle only just autoupdated and I haven't been running those long enough for the bug to re-manifest even if it was still present.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
No version 5.8.9.1 has been released.
So I assume Amazon/Lab126 couldn't have screwed that one up.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 01:03 AM   #10
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
It* started for me with 5.8.5.0.2. Never saw it before that.

* missing text bug
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote