Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
A charging question

Hi,

I don't have a Sony charger for my 505 (and no PSP charger either). Is it possible to charge the device using, for example, an Apple iPod USB charger and Sony's USB cable?

Is there any danger of damaging the reader this way (I wouldn't think so, but do I want to try? Not sure).

Does the reader need to be connected to a PC in order to begin charging via USB (which would render the iPod charger useless)?

Matthias
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The 505 should charge from any USB power source. The max power a device is permitted to draw from USB is a part of the USB specification - you won't damage your charger. Unlike the 500, the 505 does not need to be connected to a PC in order to charge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Hmm. My Motorola mini-USB phone charger does NOT charge my 505, though it shows the USB symbol and thinks it is charging. Maybe these are not really USB pin-for-pin power?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I suspect that's a problem with that specific charger, or cable. I've got half a dozen different mini-USB cables, USB chargers, and devices (including my Gen3). They all charge with any cable and charger. I've completely lost track of which cable and which charger originally went with which device. The 505 really should charge from any standard USB charger.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I now find our 505's sometimes, but not always, charging with non-PC USB chargers. Very strange. This is for two 505's purchased at different times.

Sometimes when I plug them in they 'think' they're connected (USB connection symbol on display) but instead of charging they rapidly discharge! It'll go from almost-charged to fully empty (with alert-exclamation symbol on display) overnight.

I am extra-careful to fully insert the charging port so I am mystified as to our random difficulties. Other times I get a perfect charge from the same charging device! The only consistent behavior, I think, is the red LED on the reader lights up shortly after connecting if it is charging correctly. If it stays off then I always get a discharge instead.

I observed this incorrect charging behavior from three non-PC mini-USB-output chargers. And two 505's. Seems unlikely to be the same thing 'broken' on two 505's. More likely a voltage detection routine that is timed incorrectly on the reader versus several chargers, no? The PC connection is batting 1000, always charges (crosses fingers)!
Old 01-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard

Just an update, I gave up and decided to get a PSP charger because everyone says they work. Now I understand why. I don't own a PSP so I even after reading this board I assumed it was another mini-USB charger. Not so, grasshopper! It fits the small round DC input, why it might work where some USB-chargers fail.