Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
How long...

Do you think it should take to write a 1st draft of a novel? I know that one year in Nov. I pushed myself and wrote just over 50k in some 28 days, but I was wondering what others here, some of whom have reached publication I'm sure, find is the average length of time it takes them to write a 1st draft.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
I write first drafts of 125K novels in about 6 months, then finish three months later. It probably varies widely, though, depending on the difficulty and ambition of the writing. Painstaking literary stuff might take years. I write fairly simple fantasy/adventure stories that aren't particularly adept.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
First novel, 200k, took almost exactly two years to the day, from the time I got an ex-publisher's approval of the story-line.

Edit note: That was more than the first draft. I think the first draft took about a year. The rest of the time went to rewrites.

At the beginning I was writing on Monday evenings,
later I was writing one hour to work and one hour home on the train three days a week, but at the end I was writing pretty much every evening, although differing amounts of time.

I'm hoping to finish #2 in less than a year.

Edit note: Once again, I'm thinking in terms of a marketable manuscript. Say six months to first draft, same to tart it up.

Another guy I know finished one in January/February this year, and has just produced the sequel.

Last edited by James_Wilde; 05-24-2011 at 04:26 PM.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote