Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
MichaelSullivan
Enthusiast
MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Willing to answer questions of publishing - small press, big-six, and big-six.

Hey guys, I've not been active on this forum before, but want to change that. I have lurked a lot and found some great comments going on. I've made this offer on some other writer sites so I thought why not here as well.

For those that don't know I've been successful in all three routes of publishing:
  • Sold out my print run from small press then reclaimed rights and self-publsihed.
  • Sold more than 70,000 copies (across 5 titles when self-published)
  • Obtained a six-figure 3-book deal from a big six
  • Been published (or beinging translated) into 14 foreign markets

Unlike some people who seem to think that there is only a single path of "the right way" (some say that is self, others say traditional) I actually have seen the good and bad on both sides and can generally offer a pretty balanced opinion. So....if you have any questions just let me know.

Michael.
MichaelSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
kipling
kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSullivan View Post
Hey guys, I've not been active on this forum before, but want to change that. I have lurked a lot and found some great comments going on. I've made this offer on some other writer sites so I thought why not here as well.

For those that don't know I've been successful in all three routes of publishing:
  • Sold out my print run from small press then reclaimed rights and self-publsihed.
  • Sold more than 70,000 copies (across 5 titles when self-published)
  • Obtained a six-figure 3-book deal from a big six
  • Been published (or beinging translated) into 14 foreign markets

Unlike some people who seem to think that there is only a single path of "the right way" (some say that is self, others say traditional) I actually have seen the good and bad on both sides and can generally offer a pretty balanced opinion. So....if you have any questions just let me know.

Michael.
Hi Michael

Great to come across your post, its also my first visit to the forum. I'm desperate for any advice you can give me, I've written my first book in a word 2003 doc it was finished in November 2011 After visiting various forums and asking questions mainly about getting it on kindle, at the moment I'm practicing but am just afraid to take the final step and finding it hard to get to grips with converting it to kindle. So much conflicting advice out there

Just need something that is not in gobble de gook, I'm a visual person and find it hard to read and do, great at being shown then doing it, watched calibre but no good. I've promised myself to just do it and have given myself a date of the Sunday 15th July 2012 or give up.

Rosalie
kipling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
H.P. Lovesauce
Word Herder
H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.H.P. Lovesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Cheers Rosalie,

I can't recommend giving up on a Sunday.

Because I may eventually be in your position, and because my mum's from Brid, I'll poke about and let you know via a direct (private) message what I find.

H.P.
H.P. Lovesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #4
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Hi Michael,

Given your diverse experience, what sort of advantages do you see for new authors in traditional publishing paths (small press or big-six) over self-publishing?

I ask this particularly from my own perspective (as a new author of a contemporary fantasy novel, first of a series) still undecided about how I want to publish it. From my participation here (and related reading), I think I have a reasonable feel for the ups and downs of self-publishing. What is much less clear to me is whether the perceived advantages of traditional publishing really exist.

For example: I know that I'm not good at marketing, my hope would be that a traditional publisher would help get me past that (I understand that they still expect some effort from the author). Also, there was a time when traditional publishers used to take an author under their wing, so to speak, and assist them with a lot of back of forth improving their work, but I get the impression this doesn't happen any more; that it is now up to the author to get it right for themselves.

Any thoughts you can share in this regard?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
kipling
kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kipling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.P. Lovesauce View Post
Cheers Rosalie,

I can't recommend giving up on a Sunday.

Because I may eventually be in your position, and because my mum's from Brid, I'll poke about and let you know via a direct (private) message what I find.

H.P.
Hi H.P.

Now I've slept on it, I think Sunday may have been a bit rash. Found this site this morning and thought it should be shared.
http://www.unrulyguides.com hope it will help me solve my many challenges

If you find anything let me know please Rosalie
Old 07-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipling View Post
Hi Michael

Great to come across your post, its also my first visit to the forum. I'm desperate for any advice you can give me, I've written my first book in a word 2003 doc it was finished in November 2011 After visiting various forums and asking questions mainly about getting it on kindle, at the moment I'm practicing but am just afraid to take the final step and finding it hard to get to grips with converting it to kindle. So much conflicting advice out there

Just need something that is not in gobble de gook, I'm a visual person and find it hard to read and do, great at being shown then doing it, watched calibre but no good. I've promised myself to just do it and have given myself a date of the Sunday 15th July 2012 or give up.

Rosalie
Rosalie, you can self-publish/upload a Word Doc directly to the Kindle publishing system. That's what I've done with mine. When you do you can preview it to make sure the format is correct before releasing it for sale. My only issues were getting the front and back matter right (copyright page, table of contents, acknowledgements, about author, etc.) Ton of info here: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin

Last edited by kennyc; 07-14-2012 at 06:42 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yeah, I would love to know how to move from the barely making it self-pub world in to the successful one. I have not hit 70k, probably more in the 15-20k but stopped counting when my first book crossed 10k. Would love to know how to make the transition from a super small fry self-pub to "published by someone that matters" author.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Hi H.P.

Now I've slept on it, I think Sunday may have been a bit rash. Found this site this morning and thought it should be shared.

There are a couple of guides available on Smashwords that I've heard others recommend highly.

How to Format Your Manuscript for Kindle and Nook

The eBook Formatting & Publishing Guide For The Broke and Stressed
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
[..]Would love to know how to make the transition from a super small fry self-pub to "published by someone that matters" author.
Hey! Self-published IS being published by someone that matters.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yeah and I thought the upgrade from "small fry" was "supersize fries"
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #11
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hi Michael,

Might only be loosely related to the topic, but can I inquire regarding your marketing? For example, I noticed that last week, you started becoming active (again) in eBook forums like here and Kindleboards. Wanted to inquire whether this is part of a larger strategy (either with one of the Big 6 or your plan for an upcoming self-published book) or not. Thanks.

Also, I think you brought up in another thread the non-compete clause from Traditional Publishers. Are there any clauses that writers should look out for, especially when they're exploring both trad and self-publishing routes?
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
kipling

Willing to answer questions of publishing - small press, big-six, and big-six.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Rosalie, you can self-publish/upload a Word Doc directly to the Kindle publishing system. That's what I've done with mine. When you do you can preview it to make sure the format is correct before releasing it for sale. My only issues were getting the front and back matter right (copyright page, table of contents, acknowledgements, about author, etc.) Ton of info here: https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin
Hi everybody who as put good advice on this thread, last Sunday I was ready to call it a day. However I slept on it and have now moved forward, I had tried the way you are saying Kenny to many issues or me, I read through more posts than I care to remember and found an email address in another post on another forum. I'm a sucker or emails you can really find gems, anyway this one was a lifesaver. The email gave me directions in writing and shows how it should look each step of the way 8 steps in all

I'd heard about Sigil and Calibre two bits of FREE software, Sigil to turned my word doc into epub took me a full day because had 34 chapters to redo indents, bold, and the toc which was done in one click and placed my pictures all 23 of them looks great. I've made extra copies just in case of an accident when I take it across to Calibre tomorrow it will be then a mobi and they say it should be easy to put onto kindle.

Had a practice and it looks OK that's was before the pictures where added
hopefully they will not create a problem. Anyway hopefully will be back tomorrow to let you know how I've got on.

If anybody thinks the email address would help them let me know, send me a pm and I'll send you it and you'll be able to get them to send you the course.

Once again thanks for all your help and advice, will be back with good news with luck.

Rosalie
Old 07-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #13
MichaelSullivan
Enthusiast
MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi Michael

Rosalie
Rosalie - making kindle format books is REALLY easy. Here is a link that should walk you through it.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
MichaelSullivan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Hi Michael,

Given your diverse experience, what sort of advantages do you see for new authors in traditional publishing paths (small press or big-six) over self-publishing?
I think the biggest problem (especially for new authors) is that it is difficult to get a truly objective opinion on your work. Of course everyone thinks that they have written something great, but there are some self-published works out there (quite a few actually) that really aren't "ready for primetime." Having professionals that know the market make the decisions really help with that.

The other aspect is that the publishers provide developmental editing (the editing that goes beyond copy edits or proofing), which concerns itself with plot, pacing, characters, and the like. This type of editing is expensive and nearly impossible to find someone capable to do it if you are self-published. It is easy to find copy editors, but for that "bigger picture" person, you really can't "buy" it on your own. Now some authors don't need this type of editing, and those people are better candidates for self-publishing.

Quote:
I ask this particularly from my own perspective (as a new author of a contemporary fantasy novel, first of a series) still undecided about how I want to publish it. From my participation here (and related reading), I think I have a reasonable feel for the ups and downs of self-publishing. What is much less clear to me is whether the perceived advantages of traditional publishing really exist.
Traditional publishing does offer many advantages: larger distribution, advance payments, bookstore presence. These aspects generally provide access to a larger audience and a bit of "credibility" that can really help with those people who shy away from self-publishing. That being said, when self-publishing you don't HAVE to sell to nearly as many people to earn at a similar level.

Quote:
For example: I know that I'm not good at marketing, my hope would be that a traditional publisher would help get me past that (I understand that they still expect some effort from the author). Also, there was a time when traditional publishers used to take an author under their wing, so to speak, and assist them with a lot of back of forth improving their work, but I get the impression this doesn't happen any more; that it is now up to the author to get it right for themselves.
My publisher actually did a lot in regards to marketing my books, more than I expected based on the horror stories I've heard. But...I'm a firm believer that the author's responsibility for finding and building an audience is the same in both traditional and self-publishing routes. Keep in mind that the traditional publisher has a marketing department that is juggling multiple authors and only you are 100% focused on our works. For the most part you can think of the "marketing" that will be done by the publisher is getting books into stores (where may readers "discover" by browsing shelves) and getting advanced reading copies to blogger who might review the work and get you some attention.

The "take under their wing" aspect that you speak of is what I was saying above about helping with developmental editing. A large publisher will do this. A small publisher may only do copy editing...it varies from publisher to publisher.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
MichaelSullivan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi H.P.

It's really not so complicated that you have to buy books on it -refer to my post and the link provided. Ebook formatting is really very easy. There are also tons of ebooks on the subject for $0.99, $2.99 or free.