Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #181
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyJ View Post
Hi I am new to android. Does anyone have any insight on whether we would be able to use amazon app store?
Given the Amazon App Store is just another app, it should install fine (it certainly does on my non-Kindle device).

However, if you're outside the US, the Amazon App Store won't let you download and install anything...
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #182
moolyn
Rookie eBookie
moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moolyn once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch, Kobo Touch, iPad3
If you go to the Chapters Indigo website and look for store locations, you can find out which stores near you have a Vox in stock. Most have just one, as a demo. I called my closest store in downtown Toronto and was told that a demo would be available to see on November 2nd when the store opens at 7:30 am!

In any case, after reading the very positive Good e-Book review, I made a decision and placed my order for a Kobo Vox in Jet Black. My confirmation stated:

Pre-order items will ship on or near the release date
Please note that release dates are subject to change.
moolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #183
jedipencil
Enthusiast
jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
Our junk mail today has announced the Vox would be in stock at Future Shop tomorrow. I'm checking it out bright and early Saturday morning. I'll be curious to see if it's true, seeing as we live in cow country... I can't wait. I'm looking forward to hearing people's reviews on it when they receive their orders.
jedipencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #184
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedipencil View Post
Our junk mail today has announced the Vox would be in stock at Future Shop tomorrow. I'm checking it out bright and early Saturday morning. I'll be curious to see if it's true, seeing as we live in cow country... I can't wait. I'm looking forward to hearing people's reviews on it when they receive their orders.
I called my Future Shope and they never even heard of it
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #185
jedipencil
Enthusiast
jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jedipencil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony
Seriously? Oy. Last weekend, at Bureau En Gros (they have a couple of readers there), they hadn't heard of it either.
jedipencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #186
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyJ View Post
Kingston, says that they MAY have some. She was pretty shifty LOL, and wouldn't tell me if they actually had any in their stock room right now.
Yeah - I called several stores and got a bunch of 'Huh? Vox?' comments until I spoke to the managers (so some staff didn't even know what it was...sigh...). And then when I spoke to the managers, I got a lot of 'we weren't told much' and 'I don't know' comments.

All recommended pre-ordering on-line to be sure to get one, as they weren't sure how many they'd be getting in. With a review like the one that was just posted in this thread (9.5/10), you can be sure there will be some disappointed people in the stores...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #187
trek790
Enthusiast
trek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Vox
I ordered my Vox last week right after the announcement through Chapters Indigo. Got an email today saying that it has shipped and I can see now that Canada Post has processed it at their facility. Sounds like I should receive mine (Toronto) tomorrow.
trek790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #188
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek790 View Post
I ordered my Vox last week right after the announcement through Chapters Indigo. Got an email today saying that it has shipped and I can see now that Canada Post has processed it at their facility. Sounds like I should receive mine (Toronto) tomorrow.
I'm so upset now that I waited to order! I, too, live in Toronto and I could have had my Vox tomorrow. (When I preordered the Kobo Original it was delivered on release day within the city.)

Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #189
trek790
Enthusiast
trek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheesetrek790 can extract oil from cheese

I'm not sure how long you waited to order. I waited about 8 hrs after I heard the announcement and realized that demand was going to be pretty brisk for the Vox given that it was (at that time) really the only 7" tablet/e-reader available in the Canadian market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
I'm so upset now that I waited to order! I, too, live in Toronto and I could have had my Vox tomorrow. (When I preordered the Kobo Original it was delivered on release day within the city.)
Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 PM   #190
trek790
Enthusiast

Not that great of a review. The reviewer only had it on hand for about an hour and a half and it sounds like they were listening to the marketers for at least half an hour of that time!

It will take longer than just playing around with it for about an hour before you really get to see how good a product like this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moolyn View Post
Good e-Reader has posted a lengthy and enthusiastic hands-on review of the Kobo Vox that should answer many questions:

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...full-hands-on/
Old 10-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #191
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I think it is smart that Kobo did not rush to get the Vox into reviewers' hands ahead of time. When the Touch was given out, pre-release, it was stunningly clear that many of the tech writers never bothered to do the set-up process that would have given them the release version firmware.

Last edited by taming; 10-27-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: grammar
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:55 AM   #192
Arithonne
Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arithonne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Kobo Glo
I happened to be in Best Buy last week, and actually saw the Vox boxes locked up in the reader case. According to the Future Shop and Best Buy websites, the stores near me have all four colours in stock. The Chapters near me don't have any in stock, according to the website, but do have Vox cases of various colours in stock (and have had for several days now).

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some store employees are being kept in the dark or being deliberately obtuse about in store stock to keep as much of the in store stock in the store to sell to customers who haven't already made up their minds.
Arithonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #193
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arithonne View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some store employees are being kept in the dark or being deliberately obtuse about in store stock to keep as much of the in store stock in the store to sell to customers who haven't already made up their minds.
Or, most likely, they're normal employees of chain stores and don't have a clue about product stocking until it actually arrives at their store.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #194
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
Chapters indigo website says Nov2nd release from them now. Not sure why they've delayed
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #195
RoxyJ
Junior Book Zombie
RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.RoxyJ is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordvic View Post
Chapters indigo website says Nov2nd release from them now. Not sure why they've delayed
When I called Chapters, they said something about a software update that needed to be preformed before they released it (made it sound like the employees were all in the back frantically installing updates lol). I asked if was an update that I could just do at home. And she said that she didn't think so, and that Futureshop might have them in stock, but wouldn't have the update. Not sure how true this was.
RoxyJ is offline   Reply With Quote