Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Number Puzzle

I was asked to look at this puzzle after it had stumped some friends. Because it had puzzled them for several days, I decided to look at all sorts of complicated ways to solve it. I should have looked for simple methods first... and that's the only clue I'm giving at the moment.

So — what single digit number should be where the X is?

1 2 3 4
4 0 8 5
6 3 9 7
2 4 4 6
3 6 4 X
1 5 5 3
5 6 7 8
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I was asked to look at this puzzle after it had stumped some friends. Because it had puzzled them for several days, I decided to look at all sorts of complicated ways to solve it. I should have looked for simple methods first... and that's the only clue I'm giving at the moment.

So — what single digit number should be where the X is?

1 2 3 4
4 0 8 5
6 3 9 7
2 4 4 6
3 6 4 X
1 5 5 3
5 6 7 8
9*4=36
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
I was trying looking at that in different ways. But not in the way you did. Well done, obs20!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
I was trying looking at that in different ways. But not in the way you did. Well done, obs20!
Thank you, I was almost ready to give up too.
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obs20 View Post
9*4=36
Wow - that was quick! Well done.
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Well done obs; it took me longer to work out why yours was the correct answer than it took you to work it out!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #7
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well done obs; it took me longer to work out why yours was the correct answer than it took you to work it out!
Ditto!
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Double ditto!
That's the one direction I didn't look at!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #9
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
So, do we get another brain stretcher, pdurrant?
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
So, do we get another brain stretcher, pdurrant?
Another one would be great, encore!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Geesh, I come home and another great puzzle was posted and solved already..

I agree with the others, pdurrant, encore!
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Tricky! How fun!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #13
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I do not agree with this puzzle being "fun". I can barely handle the puzzles with pictures much less the ones with numbers! Thank goodness I am retired from puzzling!

Congrats on your puzzle-thinking-and-solving skills!!!!

Last edited by emonti8384; 06-12-2010 at 12:49 PM.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by emonti8384 View Post
I do not agree with this puzzle being "fun". I can barely handle the puzzles with pictures much less the ones with numbers! Thank goodness I am retired from puzzling!

Congrats on your puzzle-thinking-and-solving skills!!!!
aw ! but it was so entertaining when you were in the throes ! i think you should come out of retirement.

great puzzle, pdurrant. i'm glad the solution was already posted, my brain is hurting a bit today, but i hope you'll post more. i like puzzles (just not today).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Next puzzle is up: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88107