Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #1
statiiq
statiiq began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Calibre Content Server

ok i know that this has been posted a thousand times but i went through most of the other topics and nothing there ever fixed my problem. i keep getting the Port 8080 not free on '0.0.0.0' and i dont use avg, i use eset smart security, ive turned off my anti virus and fire wall and i still get the error ive tried about 30 random ports and still nothing.

i dont know if this is suppose to happen but when i change the port like say i use 8787 it will still say "Port 8080 not free on '0.0.0.0'"

is it suppose to say Port 8787 not free on '0.0.0.0'????
if so mine dosent seem to recognize the port change..
i dont know what to do i really want to use calibre

ive even tried to install older versions of calibre some of them dont seem to even install correctly

can some one please help me

Last edited by statiiq; 02-21-2010 at 12:20 AM.
statiiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
You can use netstat on windows to find a list of open connections and the external url those ports are connected to. That is one way to find out what is using your port 8080.

As to the dialogue mentioning the wrong port, it looks like you found a bug in calibre. I would report it on their bug tracker. Whether or not it is simply a label problem or actually not using the port you configured, I don't know.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
statiiq
statiiq began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
i used Tcpview and there was nothing on any of the ports i tried

the closet thing is my im program miranda its on 8081 but i closed it and it still dosent work

Last edited by statiiq; 02-21-2010 at 01:15 AM.
statiiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Deucalion
Deucalion began at the beginning.

Device: iTouch/Stanza
Hello all. New member here. I had to join the forum because I've been struggling with this "Port #### not free on '0.0.0.0'" problem all day. I'm out of ideas, and have tried everything suggested in this forum.

I'm using Vista Ultimate SP2 and Calibre v6.42. Cannot get the content server to connect to any port. I tried over 3 dozen combinations, all verified by netstat as not being used. Tried disabling the Windows firewall completely. Even went into the 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security' and disabling the firewalls on the domain profile and public profile. I went so far as to uninstall AVG and made sure Windows Defender was disabled. Ran Calibre as admin and also disabled UAC. I can't think of anything else that would keep this server from connecting to a port.

I installed Calibre on my XP machine and the content server worked instantly so it's fairly ovbious the problem is with Vista. It sure seemed like a firewall issue to me.

I was finally able to get the server working on the command-line by using port 8787. Windows created an exception in the Firewall for calibre-server.exe. For now, I simply made a simple batch file with the command...

c:\"Program Files"\Calibre2\calibre-server -p 8787

Close the command window when I'm done transferring.

BTW statiiq: You should find that if you close and reopen calibre after changing the port number it should stick next time you try connecting. At least, that's how it worked for me.
Deucalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
Hello all. New member here. I had to join the forum because I've been struggling with this "Port #### not free on '0.0.0.0'" problem all day. I'm out of ideas, and have tried everything suggested in this forum.

I'm using Vista Ultimate SP2 and Calibre v6.42. Cannot get the content server to connect to any port. I tried over 3 dozen combinations, all verified by netstat as not being used. Tried disabling the Windows firewall completely. Even went into the 'Windows Firewall with Advanced Security' and disabling the firewalls on the domain profile and public profile. I went so far as to uninstall AVG and made sure Windows Defender was disabled. Ran Calibre as admin and also disabled UAC. I can't think of anything else that would keep this server from connecting to a port.

I installed Calibre on my XP machine and the content server worked instantly so it's fairly ovbious the problem is with Vista. It sure seemed like a firewall issue to me.

I was finally able to get the server working on the command-line by using port 8787. Windows created an exception in the Firewall for calibre-server.exe. For now, I simply made a simple batch file with the command...

c:\"Program Files"\Calibre2\calibre-server -p 8787

Close the command window when I'm done transferring.

BTW statiiq: You should find that if you close and reopen calibre after changing the port number it should stick next time you try connecting. At least, that's how it worked for me.
0.0.0.0 is not a normal IP address.
Do you have a second network device on your system?
Someone else will have to explain how to bind Calibre to the other device.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
Deucalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
0.0.0.0 is not a normal IP address.
Do you have a second network device on your system?
Someone else will have to explain how to bind Calibre to the other device.
Just my ethernet device. Bunch of tunnel adapters showing up. Could they be interfering?
Old 02-21-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
0.0.0.0 means all interfaces. The calibre server tries to listen on all interfaces, as it has no way of knowing which interface is the one used for your network traffic.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #8
Deucalion

Weirdness! The server just connected through the program. Using 8787. All I did was stop and start calibre a few times. I love it when a problem fixes itself. ;-)

Thanks for the program Kovid. I'm having a blast playing with it right now.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
0.0.0.0 means all interfaces. The calibre server tries to listen on all interfaces, as it has no way of knowing which interface is the one used for your network traffic.
Ah. 0.0.0.0 is a broadcast address in listen mode.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #10
Deucalion

Ahhh... now it's back to the hinky behaviour. Server won't connect to a port from within the program again and I don't know what changed when it did work. I'll use my batch file to start the server for now. If anyone finds a solution can you post it here?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
Ahhh... now it's back to the hinky behaviour. Server won't connect to a port from within the program again and I don't know what changed when it did work. I'll use my batch file to start the server for now. If anyone finds a solution can you post it here?
Did you make sure to disable auto-start from within calibre itself? Your bat file will attempt to start a *second* server otherwise. And fail.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:09 AM   #12
Deucalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Did you make sure to disable auto-start from within calibre itself? Your bat file will attempt to start a *second* server otherwise. And fail.
That's not it. I tried starting it from within the program before I ran the batch file. Got me curious though, what if I run the batch file before starting calibre? Will the server connect from within the program?

Nope. I can start 8787 fine from the command-line but not from the program. Tried it both before and after stopping the server in the command window.

I've seen worse computer bugs ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ExpwpzGsE

Last edited by Deucalion; 02-23-2010 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
mevsthevoices
mevsthevoices began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
For anyone running in to a similar problem whereby windows is blocking connections to calibre. Try the troubleshooter for windows firewall. Go to trouble shooting under the window firewall page in the control panel. Then go to incoming connections, try to connect to calibre using your device as it attempts to troubleshoot the problem. It will list a set of options, hopefully, connection with calibre will be under this dialog. Select that as the problem, it will then attempt to apply a fix and allow network traffic to and from calibre. Hope this helps
mevsthevoices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:50 AM   #14
travelerpalm
travelerpalm began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
I'm having these problems too. I've tried setting the server up on my PC and my Mac and cannot get it to work. I've set up the port forwarding with different ports. I've rechecked all my firewall settings. I have set up my dynamic DNS. I've checked the port and it's open. I've searched all over for solutions. I just don't know what to do next. Any suggestions?
travelerpalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

The last post on this thread was 2012. Necro posting is frowned upon as Calibre changes twice monthly these days. The version features have bumped significantly

Please start a New thread when the last topic activity is older than 6 months or you see the Warning.

Get it working Locally on your PC (local host)
Then try On your LAN from another device.
Neither of those need Router settings, only Firewall permissions.
(note: if both are WiFi devices, your AP/Router may need to allow 'peer' connections )