Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
jrl007
Enthusiast
jrl007 began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Hello from Pittsburgh PA

Hello all, I've already posted a few questions about the Jetbook Lite that I ordered a few days ago. While reading the forums I came across a message that advised that new folks should introduce themselves in this thread.

My name is James and I was born and raised in Pittsburgh PA. I'm 52, have a wife and 2 boys 6 and 12 (I know, got a late start!). I was a voracious reader because when I was a kid, there was no internet, cable tv (we had 4 stations) or video games. I had no siblings so I read.

The first thing that I remember reading was an encyclopedia. I don't think that I read it from A-Z but I remember whenever I was bored I'd grab one of the books and browse through it, sometimes for hours. This was probably around 6 or 7.

I read comic books, and science fiction mostly, but I'd also read those trashy novels that my mom would leave laying around, Harold Robbins, Jacqueline Susann, things like that. I think I read the "Godfather" when I was around 10 or so. I used to love the commute to/from work because it gave me a chance to read and I would usually read on my breaks and lunches.

Flash forward 30 years or so, and here came the internet and my book reading dropped dramatically. I hadn't picked up a book in years when in July of last year I was laid off from my job and while I was trying to find something to do with myself I started reading books I checked out of the library and remembered how much I really missed reading something that wasn't about computers, or e-mail, or movie reviews.

I'm taking classes now, retraining for a career in microsoft networking and in the 2nd semester the instructor gave us copies of our textbooks in pdf format, and that's what sparked my interest in an e-reader. I've since learned that a 5" screen is probably not ideal for studying textbooks, but the more I learned about them, the more I wanted one, and wanted to start reading again.

So there you have it, I ordered my Jetbook Lite on Saturday, looking forward to getting it, and getting back into reading again.
jrl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, jrl007.

Sounds like you are tailor-made for this site.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, or jump in on conversations that interest you.

Let us know how you like your new device!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi James, glad you're rededicated to reading! That's been one of the best things to emerge from ereading devices...

Scott Nicholson
http://hauntedcomputerbooks.blogspot.com
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi James and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi James, welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome James! I enjoyed living in Squirrel Hill for seven years (the 70s). Best bagels I've ever had!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #8
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
jrl007
Enthusiast
jrl007 began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Welcome James! I enjoyed living in Squirrel Hill for seven years (the 70s). Best bagels I've ever had!
I also lived in Squirrel Hill around that time. On the corner of Hobart and Murray, right across from Rosenblooms (?) bakery. Is that where you got your bagels from? Best memories of that time: Playing pinball in the basement of Heads Together, listening to the jukebox in Village Pizza, eating Mineo's Pizza...
jrl007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
James, I remember Mineo's Pizza and Heads Together (I don't think I ever went downstairs, though, but I remember how good looking the store manager was!). Don't remember the name of the bagel shop, but I think it had the word "bagel" in it. Wasn't there one called "New York Bagels", which if so was my second favorite.

I lived on Shady Ave., one block over from Murray, above the tunnel, just before you got to the (Murray Ave.) bridge going over the Parkway East.

My strongest memory of Pittsburgh was driving on the ice on St. Patrick's Day to go to a party. I think it was 1978. I was so scared that as soon as I arrived I asked to spend the night!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote