Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
daviddem
Connoisseur
daviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litterdaviddem doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Why are some fonts not working??

So I created the fonts folder on the root of my SD card and put some fonts in it, then I opened an fb2 book and experienced with changing the fonts. However, some of the fonts are showing in the menu, but not others. For example, if I copy the Verdana font files and the Constantia font files from my Windows font folder, the Verdana font shows up in the menu, but not the Constantia. Does anybody else have that problem? Anybody knows why that is?

Note that I also tried copying in \crengine\fonts, and the result is the same.

Last edited by daviddem; 01-20-2009 at 08:09 PM.
daviddem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddem View Post
However, some of the fonts are showing in the menu, but not others.
I assume that the Hanlin only supports TrueType fonts, but OpenType fonts (a MicroSoft extension to TrueType) might also be stored in .ttf files (or in .otf). On my Windows PC both Verdana and Constantia are OpenType, so there may be something else involved. TrueType fonts definitely work.

FortForge can apparently convert an OpenType font to TrueType.

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-20-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Added FontForge
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
daviddem
Connoisseur

Yes I thought about the OpenType vs TrueType issue. That is why I chose the example with Verdana and Constantia: they both seem to be exactly the same font types, but one works and not the other. I'd love to know why???
Old 01-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #4
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddem View Post
However, some of the fonts are showing in the menu, but not others.

Anybody knows why that is?
Yep, the reason is very simple - only fonts having cyrillic subset are shown, others - not. It is a good idea to remind the author to enable all fonts in the future versions.
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
daviddem
Connoisseur

Thanks for that. I'll put in a request for future updates.
Advert