Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #241
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
Sorry Bob,
While this is true for purchased books, it is not true for books your get from a Library (books that are returnable). There is an additional bit of information that must also be transferred to make the book returnable. Currently only ADE or Sony EBL will transfer this additional set of information.

--
Jim Lester
Lead Engineer - Digital Publishing
Adobe Systems
Jim... thanks for setting me straight.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 AM   #242
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
I finally gave up trying to put Overdrive Adobe ePub and Adobe PDF eBook files on my Sony 505 and 600. It would only work with Adobe ePub even if I removed everything and tried to put the Adobe PDF on separately.

So I bought a nook and now I can put both formats on it at the same time. I use my Sony for ePubs and change the date so I can keep them long enough to read and finish the books. As for the nook, I have found as long as the book is opened and the nook is not connected to the computer, it will allow me to finish without going into expired mode. To be honest, I don't really like either brand of reader more than my Kindle, but will have both Sony and nook to deal with the problems of Overdrive Library eBooks, at least for now.

Am looking forward to trying out the new Overdrive Media Manager on my iPad when it is finally ready for eBooks. Wonder what kind of problems I'll run into with it other than not liking the backlit screen for heavy reading?
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #243
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I, too, find the Epub - PDF conflict on my 505 incredibly frustrating, which is why I'm likely to get a Sony 950 when they come out in November. If Sony hadn't fixed that issue at all with post-505 models, I'd have gotten a nook myself by now!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #244
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
Deleted

Last edited by luvshihtzu; 09-30-2010 at 10:53 PM.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #245
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Well....after going along my merry way enjoying my Sony 300 and my library books I too find myself dealing with the annoying ePub/PDF conflict. ARGH! I hadn't had it before and I read this thread so I knew about it in advance.

What I'd been doing was strictly keeping either ePub OR PDF borrowed books on the reader. I have regular PDF files which I was able to access perfectly fine while having a library ePub file on it.

Don't ask me why. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, I don't know but I was happily reading the last few pages of a library ePub when I decided to add the library PDF file to my reader so I could start it when I finished the other book. CRASH! I could open the library PDF but not the library ePub. I wanted to finish the ePub book.

I removed the library PDF's and put the library ePub back on the reader. Yay I finished reading it. Ok now I want to put the library borowed PDF on the reader to read that book. Nope! No can do. Now I can't open the library PDF. *waa*

Any ideas if it'll work if I just redownload it from the library? It's a most annoying feature! I'll probably try it after I type this but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #246
K8Ereader
Connoisseur
K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.K8Ereader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
The two formats should still work on your PC, no need to re-download from the public library. Just transfer the file over to the reader once you've cleared the other format file off.
K8Ereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #247
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The main thing I'm hoping for with the new readers, besides the ability to switch between Epub and PDF books, is the ability to save PDF formatting on the default Small size - do the new players handle this better with PDF library books?
Old 10-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #248
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8Ereader View Post
The two formats should still work on your PC, no need to re-download from the public library. Just transfer the file over to the reader once you've cleared the other format file off.
Thanks for the reply! I do see that they work on the PC just fine but they didn't on the reader. I was having a lot of problems with this but I think I got it to work fine now. The next test will be when I get another library ePub. +++ fingers crossed but I need to finish my PDF library book first though before I play with that silliness again. LOL

None of my PDF files would open on my reader. So I deleted the library ePub from the reader and reloaded my non-library PDF's to the reader (knitting & crochet patterns) but they wouldn't transfer to the reader at all until I redownloaded them to the PC. I thought that was really weird! I disconnected the reader from the PC and checked on the reader and they opened just fine. Yay! I figured just go one step at a time.

Now I transfered the library PDF book from my PC to the reader but it still wouldn't open. I had to delete it from the PC library and re-download it from the public library and only then was I able to open the library PDF file on my reader. Whew! So far so good but as I say, the test will be the next ePub library book I borrow.

I will not be making that mistake or trial again. I hope my experience was able to help prevent someone from going through it or solving their own current ePub/PDF conflict because MAN is that frustrating!

I'm really enjoying using the public library for ebooks and was so disappointed when this happened. It was a big selling feature for me and the Sony reader. There are books I want to read but I don't want to buy and if I borrow it and find I love it, I'll buy it.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #249
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

I have a 650 on its way to me now, even though I haven't had my 505 all that long (I plan on it as a surprise gift for a friend, who's expressed interest in an e-reader). The incredible frustration of going through my Overdrive wishlist to add the next book(s), and having to accept: "Oh, I can't add that one, even though I'll be finished with (other format book) in a couple of days." Nor can one sort lists by type.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #250
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
This issue with the library books is what finally forced me to explore ineptepub and the joys of Python DRM-removal.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #251
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Sounds far too complicated for me to tackle!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:40 AM   #252
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Sounds far too complicated for me to tackle!
If I can do it, you can!

PM'd you.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:45 AM   #253
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

Thanks!

I had a strange situation recently where I returned a couple of books early; they were removed right away from my Sony Library as usual, but my Overdrive account still has them checked out to me.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #254
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
Where is the Sony ereader upgrade page?
Thanks
Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #255
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Thanks!

I had a strange situation recently where I returned a couple of books early; they were removed right away from my Sony Library as usual, but my Overdrive account still has them checked out to me.
I've only had that happen with Mobipocket books and Overdrive. Apparently early returns aren't supported with the Mobi format.

I've gotten in the habit of logging onto my digital account at the library and using the Return Books feature in there. I wonder if that would solve your problem?