Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #31
zeng
Enthusiast
zeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
So the 13.3 Model will have a 1600x1200 resolution (150 DPI) ?

What about the M95, does it have the same resolution/DPI as the M92??

I don't see alot of differences between the M92 and the M95, the M95 seems to be a revamped M92 with Android

Yes, the 13.3 model has 1600x1200 resolution.

The M95 uses the same screen of M92 but with powerful processor, larger memory and android 2.3.
zeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #32
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

Device: Onyx M92
Zeng, thanks for all the useful information. One more question, what about the M96? Sounds like it'll be very similar to the M95 but with Android 4.0. Thanks!
On another topic: What's the use of Bluetooth on an e-reader? To connect bluetooth headphones?
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #33
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
Yes, the 13.3 model has 1600x1200 resolution.

The M95 uses the same screen of M92 but with powerful processor, larger memory and android 2.3.
Sorry to say, but that is disappointing, especially when the M92 Linux software has reached a relatively stable and acceptable level.

I doubt Android 2.3 or 4.0 will bring any major benefits especially if you look at the already released onyx readers.. Maybe even drawbacks concerning the battery life (linux is very conservative with battery power)

I am looking forward though to the 13.3" Model, although I would prefer a different OS than Android
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #34
zeng
Enthusiast
zeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverzeng exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampiti View Post
Zeng, thanks for all the useful information. One more question, what about the M96? Sounds like it'll be very similar to the M95 but with Android 4.0. Thanks!
On another topic: What's the use of Bluetooth on an e-reader? To connect bluetooth headphones?
The difference between M95 and M96 are

* different processor
* different screen. M95 uses 50Hz refresh rate pearl screen, while M96 will use 85Hz refresh rate carta screen. But we don't have idea when the carta will be available, that's the reason we introduce M95.

The bluetooth can be used to connect external input device with eReader.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:03 AM   #35
zeng
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
Sorry to say, but that is disappointing, especially when the M92 Linux software has reached a relatively stable and acceptable level.

I doubt Android 2.3 or 4.0 will bring any major benefits especially if you look at the already released onyx readers.. Maybe even drawbacks concerning the battery life (linux is very conservative with battery power)

I am looking forward though to the 13.3" Model, although I would prefer a different OS than Android
Not really, both of us can benefit from Android. For developers, it's easy to develop, debug and deploy applications. For end users, they can install lot of applications. In next coming 5 years, I cannot see any other alternative OS. We will put most of our resource on Android.
Advert
Old 11-23-2013, 03:36 AM   #36
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I, for one, am really looking forward to Android on the M92. I was about to put it on ebay because the software doesn't support my note-taking workflow. With Androud, I should be able to install any number of scribble apps, which means my M92 will get a new life.
That said, the 13-inch device will be the real killer for office use! If the price is sensible, I will definitely get one.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #37
chexmix
Zealot
chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chexmix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Onyx Boox M96
I wish -- I really do -- that I felt I could look forward to future Boox products. But I cannot. Even if I get my M92 fully functional again, getting it partially functional has been a protracted nightmare.

... which is too bad, because I'd really like to have a good large-format e-reader. That's why I bought this thing in the first place.
chexmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:40 AM   #38
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
To the list of professionals who could use a reader with large display, I would add the musicians. I am one of them and my M92 is doing its job very well, although for A4 size it would take a slightly larger display (I would prefer a 12" as a good compromise between portability and reading)
@ Zeng: could you tell us if and when it will be available Android OS for M92?
@ Seaniko7: plan to release updates to your OS Obuntu?
Thank you!
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #39
Dan23
Connoisseur
Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Paperwhite 6.8"
Please make the 13.3 as light as the sony one. Thanks.
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #40
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerpiano View Post
@ Seaniko7: plan to release updates to your OS Obuntu?
Thank you!
Yeah, working on that. Also, I'm wondering whether to leave Obuntu as is and resurrect OpenInkpot for Onyx (*92/*62/*96/this 13.3 inch thing) instead.
seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #41
zeng
Enthusiast

We will try, but we don't want to make it as expensive as the sony one.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #42
Lbooker
Addict
Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lbooker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
The 13.3 model will definitely be cheaper than SONY reader. It uses the same flexible screen of SONY reader. The processor is iMX 6 and the OS is android 4.0 or above. We may use IR touch in 13.3 model to get best contrast, but not finally decided yet. The screen resolution is 1600x1200. With android, you should be able to use it as second monitor.
Great ! I will buy one !
Lbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #43
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
We will try, but we don't want to make it as expensive as the sony one.
Great news! This is very exciting.

And big (!) kudos to Onyx now directly talking to the community, however small it is. This is the kind of stuff that makes me much rather buy another Onyx ebook reader over any other company's (and we have two M92 ).
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #44
lepau
Connoisseur
lepau doesn't litterlepau doesn't litter

Device: M92
Quote:
Not really, both of us can benefit from Android. For developers, it's easy to develop, debug and deploy applications.
so the problems is that its hard to find competent Linux developers, but easy to find Android coders...

Quote:
For end users, they can install lot of applications.
aren't android devolpers running into the same problems with the eink Display that developers for the M92 have with QWS?
lepau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:37 AM   #45
zeng
Enthusiast

It's easy to develop apps for Android, because there are lot of documents, demo samples and forums. It's harder to get Qt running on eink device.

For Android developer, the eink display controller could be ignored. We introduced the smart way to refresh screen. So any android app can run on Onyx Android device without any effort. The screen just works. Of course, if you want to get the best user experience, you need to use Onyx Android SDK to refresh screen in best way. But even without that, the app still works correctly. For linux, it's quite different, by default, there is no display, so developer has to add additional code to refresh screen. For existing Qt linux applications, it's too hard to get them work on linux eink device.