Sinnermental began at the beginning.

Device: nexus7
Came in to say Riftwar saga but you have it,

Terry pratcthet too maybe
Sinnermental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #77
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
I haven't spotted the War God series by David Weber and the Half-Orcs by David Dalglish. Both are 'boy from the farm' types as long as you are OK with your boy being an orc or orc-like.

I have the feeling the OP may have mentioned these two in other threads. DRM free and IIRC the first of the series in each is a freebie.

Last edited by artifact; 03-12-2013 at 09:36 PM.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another recommendation is Janny Wurtz's Wars of Light and Shadow series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #79
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
I second the War God series and the first three books are on Baen's Wind Rider CD.

I also recommend the Vineart War series by Laura Anne Gilman and the Joust series by Mercedes Lackey
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #80
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
In the more gritty dub-category I really like Glen Cook's Black Company books. Abercrombie and Steven Burst are also two of my favorites.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #81
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
HarryT you might like the Kyralia trilogies by Trudi Canavan. (the 1st book is currently reported heavily discounted for Kindle in the Deals subforum)

What also fits the monomyth pattern (most suitable for younger readers but in no way dumbed down) are the Chronicles of Pyrdain by Lloyd Alexander, but I assume you already know them, as they are around for quite some time.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #82
khazaddum
Enthusiast
khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khazaddum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
let me also recommend Patrick Rothfuss (as many others have also done). His style is almost Dickensian, and lyrical, which makes the reading experience smooth and pleasant while telling an engaging story. The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear are the best fantasy I've read so far, if not as "epic" or grandiose as Tolkien... it's picaresque. It's not complete yet BUT the two published installments are quite voluminous and should keep you busy before the last one comes out this year.

Last edited by khazaddum; 02-25-2014 at 09:01 PM.
khazaddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #83
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
Oh Rothfuss yes, that was one writer that left me feeling really sad about finishing his second book.... K J Parker, although s/he really isn't a fantasy writer. Not sure what genre those books fit into. And the Baroque Cycle, Neal Stephenson, is also classed as fantasy, more historical fiction with a twist I think.
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #84
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Fantasy recommendations

I think I should give The Name of the Wind another try. I've started it a few months ago. I loved the writing style but the story wasn't engaging for me. I don't know, I keep hearing how excellent it is so this really makes me want to try reading it again. I think I was only four chapters in when I stopped.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:02 AM   #85
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another classified as fantasy, and perhaps a bit more logically so, but still more like skewed historical fiction is Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell, Susanna Clarke. Gaiman said it was imposs to praise it too highly and in mho I agree. Its fat tho' and some might find it slow moving...
i'm beginning to think parallel history is my favorite genre. Be great to hear of some more...
Other great, I think, fantasy is His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. Audible had a wonderful recording: Pullman as the narrator and full cast, unabridged. Their recording of Strange and Norrell is excellent too, as is their Baroque Cycle.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #86
Pangolin
Pangolin

Gazella, do give it another go, if you have the time. I don't believe in having to press on with something that really doesn't strike a chord, but I thought this was a lovely book. Wise Man's Fear was very good too, but there was an element in it that made it a bit 'weaker' for me personally. I thought they were both really worth reading and I was so sad to see the back of the characters when I'd finished the second.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #87
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
BTW: I notice this thread was bumped from 2013...

For reference, I'm a big fan of Robin Hobb with GRR Martin at the #2 slot, so I prefer more character-driven books.

But I'm a sucker for a more standard epic fantasy if it's solid, and some would be in my top 10. Feist's Magician and Serpentwar are fantastic, Dragonlance Legends (Raistlin is awesome), Terry Brooks Shannara up until the Jerle Shannara series, Edding's Belgariad/Mallorean..although I will say I didn't like their later stuff as it felt like I was reading the Belgariad again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another recommendation is Janny Wurtz's Wars of Light and Shadow series.
2nd'd, especially if you read Feist's Riftwar Empire books (co-authored with Wurtz). I consider them the best of the Riftwar books, hands down, and the Light & Shadow books are pretty solid (although not completely finished yet, she's moving along at a pretty decent clip).

I'll throw out one I haven't seen yet - Kate Forsyth's Witches of Eileanan series. Enjoyed that a lot. Not literary genius or anything, but like Celtic-flavored epic fantasy.

If you like shades of gray (less clearcut/"good" heroes and villains), another favorite of mine is C.S. Friedman - both the Magister trilogy and the Coldfire trilogy - I think she does this masterfully.

Kind of along the same gray heroes lines as Friedman, Glen Cook's Black Company is really interesting. I saw others mentioned it.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 03-04-2014 at 12:44 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #88
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Green Monkey,

considering that you say you like fantasy books with good character development, have you already looked at Daniel Abraham's "Long Price Quartet" (completed) and "Dagger and Coin" series (ongoing)?

They are very well written and quite imaginative.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote