Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #61
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've been buying the "Ice and Fire" series as it's been released, but I prefer, on the whole, to wait until a series is complete before reading it. I'm not in any hurry .
Ah - Name of the Wind possibly not the best option then. I think there are only going to be three books, but I have no idea when the third will be released.

Maybe something you can consider at another time.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #62
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
ABSOLUTELY! (Brag: I own a First Edition of this title.)

...and after that, Harry, you should sample James Branch Cabell. There's a nice selection of the Kalki editions here on MobileRead.

These are witty, urbane, fun, humorous fantasy novels that poke fun at the Human Condition.

Don
I don't have a first edition, but I have the NESFA hardcover with the multi-hundred page Concordance, as well as the e-book.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #63
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Has anyone mention the "Dragon Prince" trilogy by Melanie Rawn? http://www.melanierawn.com/books.php
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Has anyone mention the "Dragon Prince" trilogy by Melanie Rawn? http://www.melanierawn.com/books.php
Read the thread and you'll know the answer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #65
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Brent Weeks Lightbringer series is good but just 2 books are out in a 4 book series. As well as his Night Angel Trilogy. Dont judge the one series by the other as I feel the Author has got better with every new book.

Range of Ghosts By Elizabeth Bear
Tales of the Kin By Douglas Hulick
Codex Alera By Jim Butcher (He is better know for his Urban Fantasy series Dresden but personally I like this series better)
Spellwright Trilogy By Blake Charlton
Chronicles of Siala By Alexey Pehov
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 03:13 AM   #66
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
The Viriconium stuff by M. John Harrison seems to have had quite an influence on readers and writers. I've read the first one (The Pastel City) and that was worth reading.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #67
QuietThyme
QuietThyme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuietThyme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuietThyme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuietThyme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuietThyme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuietThyme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuietThyme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuietThyme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuietThyme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuietThyme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuietThyme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IOS
Codex Alera By Jim Butcher
Wheel of Time - Robert Jordan
Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
The Broken Empire - Mark Lawrence
Kingmaker KingBreaker - Karen Miller
Twilight Reighn - Tom Lloyd
Shadowmarch - Tad Williams
Malazan Book of the Fallen - Erikson Steven (Not really a farmboy hero series, but incredible fantasy either way)
Demon Cycle - Peter Brett
Imager Portfolio - L.E. Jr Modesitt
Deepgate Codex - Campell Alan

Last edited by QuietThyme; 03-07-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: comment on malazan
QuietThyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #68
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'll second someone else's recommendation of Watership Down. Not quite the genre you asked for but an excellent read.

Another on my to be read list is Roger Zelanzy's Chronicles of Amber.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 AM   #69
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
These guys have much better recommedations to give then I ever could so,

epic fantasy:
http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-epic-fantasy.html

best of Tolkien clones
http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-of-...en-clones.html
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #70
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm reading an ARC of David Walton's Quintessence, which comes out from Tor this month. It's a much better book than the cover art would have led me to believe. A nice blend of historical accuracy, creepy weird dark magic, and human innovation.

The Amazon description leaves out some of the more interesting aspects of the book, including the King of England's physician, Parris, who is discovered dissecting dead bodies and forced to join the expedition (along with his scientifically inquisitive daughter). Also, there are magical creatures able to become insubstantial at will, and a boat of mysteriously dead explorers right at the book's outset.

[Disclosure: David's a longtime friend of mine, and I'm predisposed to like his books. On the other hand, this one kept me up way past bedtime, which is always a sign of good writing.]
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #71
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not bad, but Rothfuss is overrated.
I'm waiting for the third book to come out, to see whether he lives up to his initial promise. Given the speed at which he writes, this could be a long time.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #72
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
I've enjoyed the first five or six books from Ian Irvine. In principle classic fantasy with an original setting and storyline.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #73
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Here is a partial list off the top of my head.

As someone else said, Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry (although would not necessarily be at the top of my list). His later stuff is not bad either, but could be considered more historical perhaps.

Barbara Hambly seems to be more focused on mysteries now, but wrote several pretty good fantasy series awhile back.

Tad Williams wrote an earlier series: Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. Quite epic. If you like Eddings, you would probably like this. Although it lacks the humor often present in Eddings. btw, I agree with your take on Eddings, but that didn't stop me from reading the Belgariad and the Malloreon series numerous times when I was younger.

The Malazan novels are lengthy and will take up a good portion of your time to finish. I quite liked them, but some people find them too long, too talky, etc.

E. L. Modesitt: The "Recluse" series and the "Corean Chronicles." Currently working on the "Imager" series, but is incomplete. The "Recluse" series is quite long. Many can be read as standalone novels.

Not sure if Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun series would qualify as epic fantasy. Probably not.

Glen Cook's "Black Company" series. It, along with some of the others mentioned are darker. Heroes are not always necessarily "heroic."

Joe Abercrombie's "The First Law" series.

K.J. Parker. Not really pure fantasy in my opinion, but placed in that category by publishers. Some trilogies and some novels. Most are very good in my opinion and feature complex, flawed protagonists. No one really knows anything about the author, which is rather nice I think when so many people seem determined to "share" so many details about themselves, no matter how uninteresting and/or trivial.

Did you read Elizabeth Moon's "Legacy of Gird: series? Not as good as the "Paksenarrion" series in my opinion, but still enjoyable.She has also written some later novels that feature Paks.

Always the "old stuff." Others have mentioned Cabell, Dunsany, Peake and Morris, but there is also E.R. Eddison's Zimiamvia trilogy.

As far as George R.R. Martin goes, don't bother unless he ever finishes. I kind of wonder if he ever will. The series started in 1996 and he is not getting any younger. I stopped reading after the fourth volume.

I've mentioned a lot of series. I think good ones are great, but one of my peeves about fantasy is that it can be difficult to find novels that aren't part of a series. Most everyone writes series, I guess for commercial reasons. I used to dutifully read each novel in a series I liked when it came out, but I stopped doing so awhile back. Now I also wait until they are complete. Martin may be largely responsible for that.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #74
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I loved Christopher Paolini's "Inheritance Cycle"
If you can get past the "young adulty" feel to the first book (Eragon), the series is well written and deeply complex.
I found "A Song of Fire and Ice" to be a little too gritty for my taste, whereas "Inheritance", while filled with battles and violence, seemed to be more reminiscent of classic High Fantasy.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #75
Dan23
Connoisseur
Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe, Paperwhite 6.8"
Since its hard to tell what you have and haven't read see this site:

http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-epic-fantasy.html

It has a lot of lists with subgenres - many if not most of the good fantasy books appear on one of the lists - you can scroll all the way to the bottom to see a compact version (one line per book/series).

I linked to the epic fantasy series page but their are many other classifications.
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote