Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #136
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
I wonder whether I can co-opt the rest of the Zodiac signs as descriptors for other military units. The special ops teams are LEOs. Could the heavy artillery spacecraft be TAURUSes? And the cyberwarfare teams be SCORPIOs? Because using astrological constellations to describe orbital combatants would be just too cool.

Time to go acronym hunting.

Well, if you're going that way you may as well go hunt for an acronym for Zodiac.
Or if you don't mind a cheat, SODiAC. (Space Operations DIvision Alliance Command, for example. )
And if you're going to cheat (*I* would) the unit names don't have to be spelled exactly (or completely) as the zodiac signs. All you need is for the troops themselves to pronounce the acronym that way. (Otherwise, you just "might* have a problem with Sagitarius and Capricorn. )

A bigger cheat would be to go with the abbreviations for the units--Sag, Cap, Acua, Scor, etc--enough for the troops to start joking about their zodiacal sign. All strongly discouraged by the high brass, of course...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #137
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Making the hack-mils in space different than those planet-based, only makes sense if you want the cyber warfare team to be specialized on something specific for space conditions.
E.g. hacks into board systems of enemy units:
Computer assisted boarding

"Cabbie can you get us in? Think so sir, I'm probing their maintenance bot exits now."
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #138
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Watch out, Piers Anthony.
We have a groaner war a startn'
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:26 AM   #139
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Dang. Story got rejected by the editors who invited me to submit -- not enough emphasis on technology.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it will allow me to break out of the 10,000 length limit and explore a couple of side issues I had to prune for the original submission. Kind of a bummer anyway, though...
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #140
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Keep up the fight! And as you do you will learn much!
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #141
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Dang. Story got rejected by the editors who invited me to submit -- not enough emphasis on technology.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, as it will allow me to break out of the 10,000 length limit and explore a couple of side issues I had to prune for the original submission. Kind of a bummer anyway, though...
I *was* wondering how you were going to shoehorn all those concepts into a short story. Your milieau really sounds like it's better suited to a full novel.
Some ideas just need elbow room.

Go gettem!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #142
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I *was* wondering how you were going to shoehorn all those concepts into a short story. Your milieau really sounds like it's better suited to a full novel.
Some ideas just need elbow room.

Go gettem!
I disagree. The short story is just about my favorite form when done well, and I think this was done very well on a lot of points. Not say there couldn't be some important stuff added, but I hope you don't go TOO far over 10000 words!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #143
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Thanks, everybody. And a special thanks to ApK for taking time to read and give feedback on the draft.

I'm thinking the final length will fall at about 14,000 words, with room in the milieu for a novel or two down the road. (Like I don't have enough projects already. Pooh.) Figure I'll send it over to Sheila at Asimov's once it's done. I've never asked her whether she likes military fiction, but come on... who can resist zero-gee combat scenes?
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote